It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is the amazing Lockheed Martin SR-72—the space Blackbird

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by darpa999

It was built at Skunkworks, as for the tests most likely Edwards or Area 51, or both.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Thank you for the amazing post and for others for their incredible wealth of knowledge they shared.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Sammamishman
reply to post by boomer135

Thanks for chiming in Boomer, I hope you didn't mind me quoting you earlier.
So do they generally still carry JP-7 in the seperated tanks on the Edwards T models or is all JP-8?

Normal missions its all JP-8 but at Edwards just depends on the mission.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Are able to alude to weather you have ever had to refuel something that used JP-7 in your career?

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Stealthbomber

I'd imagine that if they really wanted to stretch its legs and sustain M6 for longer amount of time they would use open expanses of the Pacific?

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I'm Guessing it's all a Bluff...As America Fails, Let's face it, the USA has never appeared weaker in the eyes of their enemies.. so lets drop some hints that we might have a super weapon at our disposal....

Seems like a plan to me..

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Sammamishman

Are able to alude to weather you have ever had to refuel something that used JP-7 in your career?

You mean besides the SR-71? Yeah...

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Soloprotocol
I'm Guessing it's all a Bluff...As America Fails, Let's face it, the USA has never appeared weaker in the eyes of their enemies.. so lets drop some hints that we might have a super weapon at our disposal....

Seems like a plan to me..

The SR 72 is by no means a wuenderwaffe

Go Figure

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
ISINGLASS(?) Hypersonic Boost Glide Boost glide skip recon airframe.

1960s.

Great explanation here

www.thespacereview.com...
edit on 6-11-2013 by Astr0 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-11-2013 by Astr0 because: Added internet link

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
You left out Tonopah Test Range (KTNX). Im sure they do alot of testing there as well also.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Can you put JP-7 in an ordinary bird without issue or is used exclusively for fast (M3+) birds?
Besides the SR-71, what else uses JP-7 but not JP-8? Just wonder'n.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Sammamishman

Officially only the SR-71.

I'm quite certain that regular jets can use JP-7 they just can't start the engines with it because it has a high flash point, I think they can take off with JP-8 then refuel with JP-7.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I'd like to point some thing out about this ISR / Strike mission set and throw in a devils advocate against all the folks saying 'Over flights will cause wars and we don't need this any longer'.

My answer is as follows: This platform I HIGHLY suspect is for NAVAL INTERDICTION mission. Not air to air, but actually being a high speed seek & destroy platform against a up and coming threat in the Pacific.

Think about it. At mach 6 your turn curve is going to be huge, and any sensors are going to be able to 'see' vast swathes of the ocean. Coupled with BAMS, the high speed response of a Mach 6 airframe will mean the enemies reaction and avoidance times are down in minutes for an ocean going vessel. They simply will be sat in the same bit of ocean they were 20 minutes ago.

So, there is my thoughts on why this platform in this time frame.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Where was this SR-72 tested at?
Was at the Tonopah Test Range, Palmdale Plant 42, Edwards AFB, or Groom lake?

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by darpa999

The only people that know that are Skunk Works and they aren't talking.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Groom Lake is the historic place for the spy plane so there is great chance to find SR-72 somewhere in the desert. IF it realy exist now.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by darksidius

It was at or planned to be at Groom at some point, as they built a hangar for it. However, it could have been tested elsewhere, or it could have been tested there.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Zaphod58
reply to post by darksidius

It was at or planned to be at Groom at some point, as they built a hangar for it. However, it could have been tested elsewhere, or it could have been tested there.

The large hangar you're referring to is Northrop's... Just saying

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Perhaps the SR-72 is a "just in case" backup for when our satellites fail. China has already proven they can knock out satellites. With China becoming more and more of a security issue in the Pacific (a perfect place for a M6 jet btw) -- we might have to rely on airplane-based recon.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by weavty1

According to what Intelgurl was told, by what she considered to be a very reliable source, the large hangar constructed in 2007 was for a Lockheed Skunk Works project spun off the Falcon, they were calling the SR-72. It already had equipment, flight sims, etc there, and was ready to accept the aircraft.

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join