It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

if you were in a survival scenario would you work or rest????

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I've never been in a real life Survival situation, but I have acquired SOME skills and I'd like to think that I'd be ok for at least a few days on my own.

I think that, no matter how "lazy", you are....when you are in a Survival or any type of emergency situation, people break down into two groups.

1) Ones who focus and make good, fast decisions and get a rush of adrenaline
2) Ones who freeze, panic and make poor decisions

I think it's important to know what type you are in case of a Survival situation. You really can't help what type you are, typically #1's are people who have just been through a lot of "panicky" situations and have developed coping mechanisms, I think some is genetic though...some of us made it through the ages by Fighting and some took Flight.

Anyway, it's important to know what type you are. If you are a #1, use all of your energy immediately to build a shelter, start a fire and gather wood and get food. Set yourself up so that you don't have to expend that much additional energy since your food and energy will be limited.

If you know you are a #2. Get to a safe place and just sit there. More then likely any decision you make immediately will be bad and you could harm yourself. Go and calm yourself and don't make any decisions other then "I should sit on that rock over there" or "I should gather everything that looks valuable in my immediate area and then sit on that rock".

I think most people who die in Survival Situations do so because of bad decisions made in a panicked state.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
You always have the option of letting others do the work then just go steal what they have done.

I'm sure many people will follow that path.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by InTheLight

sure
and thats good to know
but the old timers are always doing something so they have leeway for the unforseen

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Nowyouseeme

You are bringing up an important factor in your post.

Survival psychology.

You can give 2 groups that same tools and skills.
Psychology sets them apart.

Here is some quick info I dug up for others.
www.wilderness-survival.net...

It takes much more than the knowledge and skills to build shelters, get food, make fires, and travel without the aid of standard navigational devices to live successfully through a survival situation. Some people with little or no survival training have managed to survive life-threatening circumstances. Some people with survival training have not used their skills and died. A key ingredient in any survival situation is the mental attitude of the individual(s) involved. Having survival skills is important; having the will to survive is essential. Without a desk to survive, acquired skills serve little purpose and invaluable knowledge goes to waste. There is a psychology to survival.

To Havok.
I agree 100%
No man is an island.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

DrumsRfun
Being lazy has a time and a place in survival.

Its a calorie game.
If you are going to be lazy,you better have a good reason for it like not wanting to burn calories for nothing or for a task that doesn't get you anywhere.(risk vs reward)

I agree, it's not just about conserving calories but water too. In a hot environment sweating uses up a lot of water. It would be better to rest during the heat of the day, work early in the morning/evenings. Sweating is bad either way, it robs you of heat in cold weather/increases the need for water when it's hot.

In a survival situation all movements should be as efficient/well thought out as possible. Rushing around can cause injury/sweating. If you're an active person sitting idle can be a hard thing when there's so much to do. Rest periods can be used for making tools/twine/weaving mats etc. or just for pondering/conserving energy.

Sitting/thinking/planning is the best way to utilize limited energy/resources. Jumping in mindlessly can be wasteful/deadly. Our brain is by far the best survival tool, a little forethought/discipline can make all the difference. The lazy won't stand a chance if their mind is as lazy as their body.

A great fix for wet wood is pitch, collect pitch oozing from trees. Sometimes I find little pitch balls that can be tossed in just to get things going. For wetter wood just slather it on. Pitch is also good for water proofing or glue. As a kid my dad use to chew the hardened pitch balls like gum...yuck. I don't know if they have any calories but it didn't kill him.
edit on 10-31-2013 by Morningglory because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Disabled so would have kids doing what they could and teamwork, and I'd do what I could. Especially interested in getting the team on creating energy devices.

In any case, meditation would be important, and faith/prayer, and a good time between activities to practice remote vieiwng and what your purpose in surviving and next step should be. And stargazing, SOS, don't forget you're never alone.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

ldyserenity

superman2012
reply to post by ldyserenity

Zombies can come out in the daylight, it's vampires that cannot...unless they are the sparkly vampires from Twilight.

Not in I am Legend

Ahh! I stand corrected!

Way offtopic: If you liked that movie watch the alternate ending. It completely changes the movie.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
When it comes to your survival, you'll do whatever you have to do. If your idle, chances are, you don't feel you are in that scenario yet. Everyone has different thresholds when their survival mode kicks in, some early, some late, some too late and some right on time.

Since this would be an economic crash as opposed to a nuclear war, there would probably be complete lockdown in most of the Country. Strick curfews and military presence. So there will be no walking around with backpack full of gear, rifle slung, "foraging for food and supplies". Those people will be considered looters and, in most cases, if you violate curfew or enter restricted areas, you'll be detained or shot. And the police and military won't sit idle while you cross-hair people from your second story window protecting your property. Instead, you'll probably find yourself in a detention center, leaving the rest of your family to fend for themselves or shot.

It will get ugly, so I pray human intelligence will prevail to avert this all together.
edit on 31-10-2013 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

Both are critically and vitally important- I would do both as appropriate.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   

id lay low, try to survive, gather some basic tools, then go build me a house waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out in the woods, maybe even an entire fort for my family and such.

im kinda waiting for STHTF honestly. i know im a survivor, i cant freakin wait.

anyone who wants to come build a castle with me is welcome

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   

you have to make hay while the sun shines spartacus .

get yourself a hobby as depression can make you stay in bed .

positive mental thinking at all times

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by geobro

ya maybe try something new, not sure what though

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   

spartacus699
reply to post by geobro

ya maybe try something new, not sure what though
i make a small living of ebay and other sites start with 200 and give yourself 30 days to double it .

one of my friends plays poker online but only for 20 cents or so per hand but still makes 2-3 hundred per month he is retired and his time is his own .

look for return pallets of goods go car booting or place ads in shops or online

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I'd do both, I'd delegate tasks to my underlings.
Bwwaaa haaahaaaaaaaa!!

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Right now, most of us lead specialized lives. We do ONE THING for money, then we trade that money for the other specialties that are needed (or at least wanted).

I have lived a subsistence lifestyle at several periods in my life. There are two ways that subsistence differs from regular life:

1. In a generalist lifestyle, you're always doing multiple things at once.

For instance, at a give moment in the afternoon, I could be:
A. watching soup simmer, by checking it periodically to make sure that it isn't beginning to stick.
B. tending the fire by adding a new small log every half hour or so, so I can bed it later tonight.
C. watching the gate, up at the other end of the pasture, to make sure the goats haven't gotten out again.
D. making "hard cider" by letting it separate in an improvised funnel, before tonight's freeze
E. repairing my workboots by re-stitching the sole with a length of copper wire, as soon as the rubber sole gets soft by the fire

Such that I'm doing five things, while kicking back against an ole tree-trunk with my hat pulled low over my eyes, almost like napping. Is that lazy?

2. In a generalist lifestyle, you may do the same thing for hours, even days at a time. you watch how much daylight is left (or how many hours till sunup).

You keep time with a calendar, not a stopwatch.

half an hour for a wash, dry-down and curry-comb
1 hour to creep up on your own deer stand, before sunrise
3 hours softening up a piece of buckskin, to fix your ole jacket.
overnight, for snares to be sprung....
18 hours smoking a brisket
2 weeks making sauerkraut
2 months waiting for green beans to be ready to pick
9 months, for the calf to be born.

In our specialized society, "waiting" is wasted time. You hate doctors and professionals who make you wait.
In a subsistence life, the only waste of time is work that ends in failure.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I do believe most anyone thrust into a survival situation will throw laziness right out the window. Humans are capable of some pretty amazing things when put to the test.

You guys ever see that show I Shouldn't be Alive? I once saw an episode where some kids, KIDS aged pike 12 and younger, successfully navigated down a 350' bluff line for water and then back up to save their scout leader.

That's impressive.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   

In times of need you'll find that you can do things you never though possible of yourself, good or bad. Your brain will kick you into gear to do whats necessary to survive. I can guarantee you that nobody will be resting if it came down to an event where humans had to work to survive everyday, at the moment society is just at halftime heh.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join