It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Embattled NSA chief Keith Alexander rejects calls to limit agency's power

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Guess it's true, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. I know there will be some who will defend the position of NSA director General Keith Alexander on this (maybe not many on ATS) but I believe he's starting to dig in against the push back.

Embattled NSA chief Keith Alexander rejects calls to limit agency's power

The director of the National Security Agency forcefully and emotionally rejected calls to curtail his agency’s power on Tuesday, as legislation to reform the US security services was introduced in Congress against the backdrop of a growing diplomatic crisis.

General Keith Alexander, the director of the NSA, speaking “from the heart” before a Tuesday hearing of the House intelligence committee, said the NSA would prefer to “take the beatings” from the public and in the media “than to give up a program that would result in this nation being attacked.”

What he didn't say was if he was going to take a congressional beating and resist that as well. I suspect he just might and may even go off the reservation so to speak. I also wonder if he won't leverage his position over the NSA to dig out the dirty laundry against some of the politicians.

Alexander and Clapper focused mainly on a defense of their existing powers

Of course they did.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Here is a quote from the website:

General Keith Alexander, the director of the NSA, speaking “from the heart” before a Tuesday hearing of the House intelligence committee, said the NSA would prefer to “take the beatings” from the public and in the media “than to give up a program that would result in this nation being attacked.”

Attacked by who ? Terrorists ? Al-Qaeda which was funded by the C.I.A. in the past ? By a nation which is with the Russians ? By an unknown alien threat?

The man will need to shed some light on what exactly he mentions as being a danger to the American nation, otherwise, why would the United-States approve such doings when Edward J. Snowden clearly outlined a privacy invasion of the everyday American man/woman.

Thruthseek3r

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Maybe this is part of what set Feinstein off recently to say there would be a total, top to bottom review of all intelligence programs. One of the points I think the 'insiders' keyed on with her statements was the distinct lack of saying just the NSA too.

Well, I think the Director there will meet his match in someone like her if she is personally motivated to do it for real. She actually was in political office during the bloodletting of the intelligence agencies seen in the 1970's. It's no academic story for her, so maybe....the NSA is going to get it's come uppance after all.

If he digs in, her and her colleagues will bring bigger shovels...or a backhoe if needed. Depends on whether he's pushing back hard enough to make it a direct challenge and personal thing, IMO.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

thruthseek3r
reply to post by Bassago

Attacked by who ? Terrorists ? Al-Qaeda which was funded by the C.I.A. in the past ? By a nation which is with the Russians ? By an unknown alien threat?

The man will need to shed some light on what exactly he mentions as being a danger to the American nation, otherwise, why would the United-States approve such doings when Edward J. Snowden clearly outlined a privacy invasion of the everyday American man/woman.

Thruthseek3r

Uhhh.... Didn't you guys notice the odd Freudian phrasing there: "give up a program that would result in this nation being attacked"? A program that would result in this nation being attacked?

That's really all I need to hear....

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I seriously doubt there is any political body in the US with the power to bring the hammer down on these guys. They got frikkin flying saucers and laser beams for cryin out loud

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Ex_CT2
A program that would result in this nation being attacked?

"A reduction of my power will leave me with no choice to have the CIA stage another false flag against the American people and KEEP doing it until I get my way."

That's what it sounded like to me at any rate.

-Amitabha-

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   

dashen
I seriously doubt there is any political body in the US with the power to bring the hammer down on these guys. They got frikkin flying saucers and laser beams for cryin out loud

This is exactly my concern too. How many political battles have these guys used some secret BS unleashed on the pols to get their way? Without even using the lasers. In particular I'm wondering if the administration turned the NSA loose on Justice Roberts when the SCOTUS was deliberating on obamacare. Roberts did a complete 180 and ended up supporting it and gave no explanation at all.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I watched some of those hearings. Alexander was poker faced, Clapper's face concerned and serious, guess he hasn't learned the poker face yet.

It matters not what the Congressional committee or any bill Congress puts in place dictates ,the NSA will remain as it is and grow. Their knowledge is power and they dictate the action of many congressional members and others. The knowledge of NSA, CIA, gives them power over all.

Boston Bomber's weren't followed tho warned, pre 9/11 pilots weren't followed tho warned, many people who were set up were caught. Many journalist's were followed and at least 2 killed recently, Brietbart and Hastings.

I cannot express my disappointment, anger and frustration, with the country I once loved and thought was free.

posted on Oct, 29 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

This nation is under attack already, everyday, but its not by any foreign power. It is under attack from the inside, by the NSA,DHS,TSA,CONGRESS, and the President. Not to mention all of the branches of the police,. Until we cut their power back to a level that is actually useful to the people of this country we will continue to be under attack until there is nothing left of this once great, FREE, nation.
edit on 10/06/12 by JHumm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Bassago

dashen

This is exactly my concern too. How many political battles have these guys used some secret BS unleashed on the pols to get their way? Without even using the lasers. In particular I'm wondering if the administration turned the NSA loose on Justice Roberts when the SCOTUS was deliberating on obamacare. Roberts did a complete 180 and ended up supporting it and gave no explanation at all.

Well, if it is the truth, it is time then we bring them to justice, none is above to law, whether one really pretend it or not, however big or small in power someone is, the law is still the law.

Thruthseek3r

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

liveandlearn
reply to post by Bassago

I watched some of those hearings. Alexander was poker faced, Clapper's face concerned and serious, guess he hasn't learned the poker face yet.

It matters not what the Congressional committee or any bill Congress puts in place dictates ,the NSA will remain as it is and grow. Their knowledge is power and they dictate the action of many congressional members and others. The knowledge of NSA, CIA, gives them power over all.

Boston Bomber's weren't followed tho warned, pre 9/11 pilots weren't followed tho warned, many people who were set up were caught. Many journalist's were followed and at least 2 killed recently, Brietbart and Hastings.

I cannot express my disappointment, anger and frustration, with the country I once loved and thought was free.

And it shall come to pass and freedom will come again. Be it the CIA, NSA or any what, it is time that they get taken to court for what they really do with an impartial judge.

The oppressors needs to be jailed if they are truly guilty against the American justice system.

Thruthseek3r

posted on Oct, 30 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

thruthseek3r

And it shall come to pass and freedom will come again. Be it the CIA, NSA or any what, it is time that they get taken to court for what they really do with an impartial judge.

The oppressors needs to be jailed if they are truly guilty against the American justice system.

If they are truly guilty is beyond a shadow of a doubt. Following the NSA news lately has made that abundantly clear. Unfortunately it's looking like these guys are beyond the reach of mere judges and congress.

While the administration is giving lip service to the legality of the NSA wire taps in the US they are also pressuring the SCOTUS to go along with it. Probably it will make no difference either way. The NSA will not stop regardless of who says what IMO.

The President Barack Obama administration is urging the Supreme Court to reject a challenge to the National Security Agency’s once-secret telephone metadata spying program.

Wired..

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Bassago

thruthseek3r

If they are truly guilty is beyond a shadow of a doubt. Following the NSA news lately has made that abundantly clear. Unfortunately it's looking like these guys are beyond the reach of mere judges and congress.

While the administration is giving lip service to the legality of the NSA wire taps in the US they are also pressuring the SCOTUS to go along with it. Probably it will make no difference either way. The NSA will not stop regardless of who says what IMO.

The President Barack Obama administration is urging the Supreme Court to reject a challenge to the National Security Agency’s once-secret telephone metadata spying program.

Wired..

Well, then the real question is who is pulling the strings of the NSA. I am now in research and I understand that George W. Bush and John Kerry are bonesman or member of the Jesuit Order of Skull and Bones. I heard too that the Knights of Malta are very powerful, but if we are one day end this madness, we have to show to the public who are pulling the strings, such as these secret societies and what extent they do really have power, the black pope Adolfo Nicolás and so on.

Stop these leaders, stop the crazy scheme of madness.

Thruthseek3r

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   

thruthseek3r
reply to post by Bassago

Thruthseek3r

Well if we go off of the people that the NSA is spying on, the American people. Apparently we are a threat to our own country.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Krazysh0t

Well if we go off of the people that the NSA is spying on, the American people. Apparently we are a threat to our own country.

Isn't that the truth. If we weren't a threat before they're certainly doing their best to provoke that exact outcome. I can't believe they are that incompetent so it's got to be the agenda.

They'll keep poking the sleeping bear until it wakes up. Then they'll try to kill it.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Thanks for the news & commentary, Bassago.
Some call Alexander the most powerful man in the USofA.
I cannot even bring myself to hope that this "Congressional" probe is anything more than eye & lip service.
(maybe I'll keep my fingers crossed, though)
As has been said of Alexander, only recently - He gets what he wants.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Gen. Alexander is scheduled to retire next March. His civilian deputy is retiring at the end of the year.

It'll be interesting to see who is named successor.

www.reuters.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by thruthseek3r

I love reading these posts. I particularly enjoy the autonomous and almost "deity" like persona bestowed upon the NSA by the public.

The NSA now, and has been, directly subordinate to the Secretary of the Army. Unlike some of the 18 other intelligence agencies they are not independent, not part of the security council and do not report to ODNI. The command is a billeted military intelligence officer from any branch do to the NSA being the agency that has a SIGINT mission.

Any meeting, like the one above, is directed to address specific policy and procedural issues, not the entire mission scope. Only specific and isolated programs, for any clandestine or covert operation by anyone, is brought before congressional committees. This simply because those committees have a responsibility to insure the operations will fall under the preview of laws, treaties, sanctions and regulations that govern the operation as they move under a different set of, what essentially is, a different rule of law.
edit on 8-11-2013 by bonecrusher321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by bonecrusher321

Any meeting, like the one above, is directed to address specific policy and procedural issues, not the entire mission scope. Only specific and isolated programs, for any clandestine or covert operation by anyone, is brought before congressional committees. This simply because those committees have a responsibility to insure the operations will fall under the preview of laws, treaties, sanctions and regulations that govern the operation as they move under a different set of, what essentially is, a different rule of law.

So to put it more simply, the NSA is beyond the control of anyone, even congress. Except of course when they bring specific or isolated programs before the committees. And we've seen how well that worked out haven't we?

The NSA has become a rogue arm of the MIC that by word and action has proved they answer to no one. Personally I doubt anyone will be able to reign in their overreach unless congress chokes off their funding. Even that is doubtful considering the leverage they must now have on every member of every branch of the government.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Actually you put it "wrongly."

The NSA reports to the Secretary of the Army and the directives, laws etc that they follow are part of the intelligence apparatus under the umbrella of the Office of the Director for National Intelligence. Pas well as certain conventions, DOD guidelines and federal law. While we may not like the idea of some things they may do (even when most do not really understand) that doesn't make the action illegal. What about about my right to privacy? What about it? We assume those three words are all inclusive to how each citizen self defines, they are not. We assume it is one law. When actually at any given time it is no less than three, often four or more (local/municipal, state, federal, international) and for the most part they compliment each other not contradict each other. Each does not necessarily apply to every individual or organization in every situation. For ex. Is a police officer breaking the law if he is exceeding the speed limit in a police vehicle, not running code, and just driving around? No they are not. In their capacity that law does not apply to them in the same way it applies to you and me.

This agency is the primary agency (primary indicates the bulk, not all of the work) for signals intelligence and the vast majority of individuals working day to day are service members from all branches of the military. The ability to do anything with "signals" (a term covering all missions and claims of mission or job by the public) is not indicative of the mission or ability to do anything with that data. I genuinely find these threads to be somewhat humorous. As that which most claim the NSA does, those different aspects that everyone is upset about is actually done by the FBI. Why? Because they are the primary asset for counterintelligence I.e. Some think that is the CIA but the intelligence activities they perform are not now nor have ever been counterintelligence. While I have kept this brief a simple google search can provide more detailed information of the same whether it be army.mil, NSA.gov, Wikipedia and other wiki sites, days.org, any of the 19 agencies, homeland and so on.

As a side note of the first thing you think is that this all a big coordinated conspiracy of misinformation to control what we think about an agency, think again. That would suggest these different organizations can and do talk, share and coordinate with each other. We all no better. If this was the case you would never hear of one organization failing to cooperate with another, or aging the intel to themselves etc. military medical records would be linked to the VA medical records and claims wouldn't be 2+ years back logged, criminals from speeding to murder would be in every database, dmv system and so on. Also, contrary to popular media and public opinion, their clandestine programs, operations and missions are brought before congressional committees and approved or disapproved. You can easily find where even the media has reported this. Nothing snowden has said is new, unpublished, previously unavailable to the public in some form, without congressional or DOD or ODNI as appropriate.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join