It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Mario 3D World is going to be Great!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I'll get murdered for sure for saying this but...

Nintendo ran out of ideas, aren't original anymore and are very afraid of their future and it's not just them but the shareholders. At first I thought this game was a parody joke, but then I realized that this is probably just Nintendo being modern Nintendo. Sure, Mario is designed specifically for children and casual gamers in mind, so it will be a far cry from a battlefield game, but there's only so much that they can do with the mushroom kingdom before it becomes dull and repetitive.

Everyone I know including myself that had purchased a Wii, will not be getting a Wii U because it's a gimmick and Nintendo needs to expand beyond their own console. I'm not joking when I say this but Mario NEEDS to find itself on android, and iOS. It is heading downhill fast, and the Wii U is not successful because they only had one chance to capture non-gamers and that was with the Wii. But these non-gamers won't invest into a Wii U and dare I say most gamers will not want to invest into an already dated system that hasn't yet proved itself, after its horrid history with the Wii (and arguably the game-cube since it was financially a failure).

As for my opinion on this Mario game, I think they are trying too hard to make a Mario game. Cats? Really? I suppose they did add a water gun to Mario before and I've enjoyed it, but even to this day the last great mario game that I can sink myself into is Mario 64. Maybe I'm no longer in their target demographics anymore, but I have high expectations of them and they've been dishing out crap for the past few games and it's upsetting. Is Mario becoming the next Sonic? Quite possibly, but only time will tell. Until then, people will just have to deal with remakes of old games in HD or in 3D and strange takes on old games.

But that's my observation of the game before playing it. Who knows, maybe I'll think differently once I sit down and actually play it. Give me a new starfox game on the wii u and then we'll talk

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Em2013

Well said. Nintendo is in dire straights right now, and they continue to shoot themselves in the foot.

The wii was a success. But rather than continue to expand on it, and to work on getting the best selling games on their system in a decent format (seriously, anyone ever tried to play NBA2K or Madden on Wii? UGH), they continue to try and force their customers to by one gimick after another (3ds, wiiU). They lose a ridiculous amount of sales by playing this strategy, and it may just be their downfall.

At this point, I expect them to go the way of sega. Though they could save themselves with a jump to true mobile platforms.

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Nintendo has been known to dish out gimmicks since the original NES. The Powerglove, the blaster thingy, that carpet that you could run on, ROB the robot etc... The NES was basically the wii, or more accurately the Wii was the reincarnation of the NES. Everyone wanted one, non-gamers got their hands on it, and it was one gimmick after another (all of which failed except for the blaster because everyone hated that f...ing dog and wanted to find a glitch and kill it).

But if you want to talk about something good, Nintendo was original until the N64, in which case they seemed to stop caring after that console. The Gamecube which they restricted a lot of investors from investing in their system, and Nintedo that tried to really sell Mario into every possible way (mario golf, mario tennis, mario party etc...) they went downhill since then.

The Wii as you know, was nothing more than a collection of party games and poorly executed libary of game ports. There were some notable games out there but none of which required the wiimote to make it good and that includes zelda. Zelda would have been just as enjoyable without having to use the wiimote/nunchuck and speaking of which, what's the deal with Nintendo and not releasing original zelda ideas anymore? OoT, Majora's Mask, and Windwaker (wii u) remakes? This is why a 3DS isn't worth investing into, you get crappy remakes like the mario64 remake for the original DS. Yeah, it's fun playing the old games but people have access to pawn shops, and emulators if they really want to play them. At the very least they should keep it as a minor focus and focus heavily on original games instead of saying "we're innovative, we are re-releasing the same game for a 4th time".

Anyway, that's my gripe against Nintendo and no matter how hard they try, they will likely never be able to make a great Mario game again because they lost their way. /endrant

posted on Nov, 1 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
"Everyone wanted one"

No. Most core gamers that saw the absolute trickle of titles for n64/GC had learned better than to buy an obviously underpowered gimmick. Maybe the first party titles were good, but Nintendo lost my support by going cheap (as every company is doing this "gen").

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Casualboy100

WoW Seems the Mario franchise is still going strong. Now they have cat Mario, and double Mario. What will they think of next.

Last time I played a Mario game was Mario sunshine, and after that super mario 64 on the nintendo 64 which I thought was the # back then, that and the original Mario cart me and my friends would all play. I have a PSvita and its games like these that are missing from it, the Vita has some good games and for a portable its pretty useful as you can surf the internet and other things even surf ATS and youtube with it, but after all the time its been out. It still has no game that is anywhere as fun in there simplistic ways as the Mario games are, which is a big disappointment.

Watching those vids makes me want to get a Wii u, but unfortunately I am investing in a the newer consoles which are coming out and will not be able to.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join