It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lightbeam from Mozilla

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Anyone fooling around with this new add on? seems cool to actually see who's snooping on you especially around these parts.

From this new add on I can now see that no less than 11 companies are snooping on you.

We have

Lijit.com
NOAA.com
Craveonline.com
Adsafeprotected.com
gorillanation.com
mookie1.com
moatads.com
realmedia.com
fonts.googleapis.com
rubiconproject.com
Samru.com

From these you can see the branching out of these entities into other entities such as rubiconproject.com which is tied to aspnetcdn.com a domain that is un accessible another from rubiconproject.com website-unavailable.com? and one wonders why?

I would be willing to bet our info is being sold directly to .gov by many of these "companies" if in fact they are even real and not just bouncing points for the NSA.

Just curious if anyone else is having some fun with this new add on, seems like it should help discern the unscrupulous websites selling our info.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

Looks like a more advanced version of "collusion" which i used to use, i dont any more since a virus got on my PC and messed up firefox so bad, that i lost all faith in the browser and canned it.

Im using Chrome now, so far so good, i wonder if theres a similar add on available..

thanks for sharing, i wish i could try it!

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
yeah it seems just an upgrade on Collusion but yeah it's cool, i like the graph on this as it ties all the strings that match together and gives a really good picture of just how many companies are in bed together. i don't know of anything for Chrome but there could be something out there, just wonder if google would block their own snooping software from being affected.

i know ajax.googleapis.com seems to be tying several together, must be in damn near everything.
edit on 25-10-2013 by LittleBlackEagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Scary how many cookies are tracking you after just a few hours of being on the internet browsing.

I find that collusion went a bit nuts if you want on shopping websites and then on heavy advertised boards and such, the links all light up - i was shocked by how much facebook was on there as one of the main guys. Google, as you have to expect, has fingers in many many pies

I think my biggest collusion-web that i let run, before i reset it was around 200. I had visited about 20 different sites and only had 2-5 tabs at any time. 200! That is a lot of a nosy trackers!
edit on 25-10-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Actually several of the ones you listed are just the ad servers for ATS.

Nothing nefarious about that, ad servers are everywhere. If you do a little bit of research about it, you'll see that the NSA is probably not at all interested in you

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

ajax Google is on all my websites

Its on every single site including this that run AdSense ads

Even my crappy blog with no real content at the moment other than 24/7 streaming radio station makes 150-220 bucks every 3 months from 1 single text ad.

Its no conspiracy, any site with AdSense or amazon ads will show on that plugin. Its nothing but proving unique hits so AdSense or amazon ad sites aren't gamed and cheated like me sitting here clicking my own ad over and over won't earn my any more money unless I clear cookies and use proxies :-)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Biigs

Scary how many cookies are tracking you after just a few hours of being on the internet browsing.

I find that collusion went a bit nuts if you want on shopping websites and then on heavy advertised boards and such, the links all light up - i was shocked by how much facebook was on there as one of the main guys. Google, as you have to expect, has fingers in many many pies

I think my biggest collusion-web that i let run, before i reset it was around 200. I had visited about 20 different sites and only had 2-5 tabs at any time. 200! That is a lot of a nosy trackers!

wow that's a lot of tracking eh, i just can't believe you hit 200.

Tenth- yeah it's all good, i knew they were here to begin with and it's not aimed at discrediting ATS, you guys need to pay the bills also, but more so to educate others of some new toys in the www world. one thing that does concern me is what these companies are doing with the info, storage of info and so forth.

Cito- the ads themselves are no conspiracy no, what could be is where the info goes to reside later on and how many of these companies are owned by the same people....

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
what i would really like to do is dig more into any possible ties all these companies may or may not have, do some surfing and see where the wave lands but that will have to be later since i have to head off to work for a bit, i have to pay the bills also. thanks for the interest and replies folks.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Great! in the last 30 mins I have interracted with 71 third party sites according to this tool. and by far the biggest node carrying site is our own, much loved, ATS!

Well done guys!, you out node Google, Facebook, Youtube and Linkedin combined.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Any site that uses ads to fund its website, will be involved with some sort of ad targeted ad scheme.

I dont mind ATS ads, they dont get in my way and are rarely distracting (those hover over video ads sucked but site owner and team took those out fast!)

Most of it is meta data, simply: PC 8732456 connected to connection A then went to connection B, provide adverts with stuff relating to connection A and B in advertisement opportunity's.

They dont know your name, or care, its just tracking your recent habbits, if you use a pop up blocker you can ban most sites and keep the sites you like in business by white listing them.

Personally i dislike the web sites that track/advertise and the money goes to some suits in some random place for no reason.
Not for profit sites are ok because by using the site, you are providing the resources to make it better. (do you think this ATS forum board upgrade was free?)

Hope that is helpful.
biigs

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Firefox has a "Private Browsing" mode which keeps sites from tracking you. Also, if you have Firefox set up to delete cookies, cache, and history when you close Firefox, then you also cannot be tracked.

No add-ons required.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

_BoneZ_
Firefox has a "Private Browsing" mode which keeps sites from tracking you. Also, if you have Firefox set up to delete cookies, cache, and history when you close Firefox, then you also cannot be tracked.

No add-ons required.

More or less this for me, no storing of anything (I run my browser in a sandbox which gets emptied every time I stop browsing) and just adblock and noscript (with essential scripts turned on, on a per site basis).

Its funny looking at my daily browse in Lightbeam, its small, virtually no sites are linked to others (and if they are its because they are all using some aspect of google), no cookie links, at most one site might have 4-5 third parties (a place like Lolcats, and even then I only visit it once a day) 0-2 is the average for most of em and the vast majority of the third party sites are simple things like cloudfont, or googleapi(?)... i also revoke temporary permissions once im done with a site if ive had to turn some scripts on to use a comment section or the like.

So for me Im happy im very low profile on the net... id hate to see what my sisters lightbeam visual representation looked like in a day

The one thing i found interesting is that the Lightbeam add-on is supported by the Ford Foundation (looking at some of the rumors about that lot is interesting, although it tends to boil down to repub v democrat/liberal muck throwing)... but as my brother said, they plainly say they are sponsored by them so it isnt something nefarious, and its open source(?) so someone would find anything suspect inside it if it had anything.

Not sure it'll be a long term add-on for me given my browsing habits and locations are fairly rigid. Might keep it to take a gander at the odd unfamiliar site i visit from time to time.
edit on 7-11-2013 by BigfootNZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Biigs

They dont know your name, or care, its just tracking your recent habbits, if you use a pop up blocker you can ban most sites and keep the sites you like in business by white listing them.

Hope that is helpful.
biigs

i had forgot i even made this thread, my apologizes to all who responded.

are you sure about that part Biigs? does it not track IP addresses when checking your surfing habits? i realize most intelligence people hide their IP's but we shouldn't have to hide them.

i suppose if we could link all these companies together we would find what we already know anyway, that most companies are owned by a few enormous companies, which ties back to the wealthiest people in the world. it's no great discovery knowing we're being screwed by the 5% is it...

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

Actually several of the ones you listed are just the ad servers for ATS.

Nothing nefarious about that, ad servers are everywhere. If you do a little bit of research about it, you'll see that the NSA is probably not at all interested in you
~Tenth

Just thought that I'd follow up on this particular posting, as we all since then have learned that NSA indeeed is very interested

And guess what?

Our national newssite TV2.dk manages to connect 48 third party sites where a number of them (5) planted a tracking cookie.
And so does IKEA.

And of course I had to try ATS as well. Who wouldn't.
From a clean boot. Clean webbrowser ATS managed to connect to 72 thrid party sites within 10 seconds. Of which 16 planted a cookie.
But then I didn't sign in did I?

Of course when you sign in, there are less tracking and less adverts. Being a faithful user and all?

So I signed into ATS from a clean boot and a fresh websession.
115 third party sites and 27 cookies.

For the fun of it I found an adult website and registered as a user and logged in.
(Yes I did this in the name of science)
4 third party sites and NO cookies.

Mind you on all these sites I only tried to enter main home page.

Isn't his fun?
On a conspiracy website I find as many cookies and third party connections as I do on the most agressive of our commercial sites in Denmark.

new topics

top topics

join