It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

B.C. civil liberties group launches lawsuit over Canadian spying allegations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

A British Columbia civil liberties group is suing a federal government agency over allegations it has spied on Canadian citizens.

The B.C. Civil Liberties Association says the Communications Security Establishment Canada has violated charter rights by intercepting private communications online and over the telephone.

Association lawyer Joseph Arvay said at a news conference CSEC’s actions have a chilling effect on all Canadians.

“Such untrammelled spying will cause Canadians to censor themselves on matters that are perfectly legal but involve personal, business, political or the intimate details of one’s life for fear that such details will be intercepted by the spy,” he said.

B.C. civil liberties group launches lawsuit over Canadian spying allegations

Well I know it affected me, and I agree that it curbed my activities somewhat. Whereas Snowden confirmed it recently, I discovered that I was being spied on five years ago and phoned CSIS to complain about it.

I truly wish them success in this lawsuit. While going after people who wish us ill is one thing, including the entire population in the sweeping unfettered data collection that they have been doing is not ok.

There ought to be oversight over this agency and they ought to be answerable for their activities instead of being given carte blanche to do as they please.

This is the first time CSEC has been sued. No wonder. Most of us didn't even know this spy agency existed until Venezuela complained recently about Canada conducting industrial espionage.

Think they stand a chance?

edit on 22-10-2013 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Someone needs to start doing something about all this spying.

At the point when governments are treating their citizens as the enemy (lets be plain thats exactly what this is) there is a problem that is in desperate need of redress.
edit on 22-10-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Governments are ridiculous, paranoid and dangerous.....

First it was: We must spy on our enemies, it's bad when they do it to us, but we do it for the greater good!

Then it was: We must spy on our allies, just to make sure they don't secretly turn into our enemies!

Now: We must spy on our own citizens, even we can't be trusted!

Where does it end? It's just stupid. It should have been saw as hypocritical nonsense from the getgo. People are so blind

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   

benrl
Someone needs to start doing something about all this spying.

And there's the rub.

'Someone' has to do something. Go on then, you do something. You start it.

(I very much include myself in this too, I'm not directing it literally just at you).

new topics

top topics

join