It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you imagine a shape that has yet to exist?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I use this as a philosophical question of the implication of the question itself!

What is the implication that we as humans cannot imagine or think of a shape that does not exist?

I believe a God can think of a shape that does not exist, that is His nature, His ability to do things we cannot.

Our limitations are so sever but as you would see in my thread about "science being a religion" a lot of people think humans are limitless in our abilities, which is utter garbage. We are very limited if only by the physics which defines our world. So then what is the implications of the shape we cannot think of?

Is it that we have yet to go there?

Is it that we can never go there?

Is it that there can be no more shapes we cannot think of, than what already exists?

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
The entirety of human ingenuity would argue against you.

The first cave man to pound a rock into a sharp point was creating something he envisioned and imagined in his mind.

Everyday humans around the world think up solutions to problems that have never been done before, that is the spark of Human Ingenuity.

A new idea, from nothing.

IF you want to bring religion and god into it fine, I will, the snake didn't lie, he said we would be God like, that includes creation.

So no on every count, Man has a creative spark in him that I would argue boarders on the Divine, look at a Picasso, listen to Mozart and tell me otherwise.
edit on 21-10-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
i often try to imagine a color that i have never seen before.
its impossible, but interesting XD

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Start working with University level maths in which you model extra dimensional geometries.

I was making shapes that don't exist back in University.

Please send me a PM when you're ready to tithe your 10% and receive my divine instructions.

Edit: For your reading and viewing pleasure: Tesseract

edit on 10/21/2013 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeMason

We are very limited if only by the physics which defines our world. So then what is the implications of the shape we cannot think of?

How about a hypercube?

I know its "defined" and we can "think" of it, but really... can we?

The above drawing is only a representation of what it means to be in the fourth dimension. To follow the meaning to its conclusion, wait... there is none. The six sides expand infinitely and how do you draw or imagine endless boundless space?

Anyone who says they can are lying because they are still here.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Maybe, but you need to think multidimensional way. Something that doesn't really exist in real world, but could exist in 5 dimensional world. Though human cannot imagine anything beyond 4th dimension (length, height, depth, time). Though some people say time is not dimension.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Can you imagine a shape that has yet to exist?
The shape of love,you can feel it but you can not draw it,because you can not draw the fourth dimension.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Nope..cuz if one thinks it it exists in the mind....a measureable thing...cool thought.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Pity my ex wife had an ugly shape of her face last time I saw her

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

The laws of physics, not to mention the dynamics of mathematics, are limited. There are not as many things to say, so to speak, as there are ways to say them. As such, I could ask you to invent a new number. You could not do it without using preexisting materials. That's all we have ever done. We have only ever translated the universe and its components, recycling and manipulating its functions.
edit on 21-10-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I enjoyed this thread.

Thank you.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

scotsdavy1
Pity my ex wife had an ugly shape of her face last time I saw her

You beat me to it. I was going to say that I can imagine myself with broad shoulders and six pack abs. That's never existed before, and probably never will.
edit on 21-10-2013 by VictorVonDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

A single line of matter as wide as the smallest measure of it, that stretches across the universe in all directions that is inverted along the very ends and folds into other dimensions of space time.

The closest thing we can imagine is a disk where everything is folded into it.

This instead is all matter being met by a single formation of matter so small yet so big as to meet it everywhere and without. It is in between physical forms and jumps from matter to energy seamlessly. Where both space time and this shape are relative to each other...and do invert as the universe folds into itself over time and instantly from the big bang to the next.....

SO after considering that, maybe the closest thing is a helix of matter creating a straight line across the universe which itself forms a circle as it passes from state to state and universe to universe.

I guess God beat me to it. DNA......
edit on 10 21 2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Thats a great question, but wouldnt thinking of something that doesnt exist make it exist? Mentally at least?

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

I aint sure if it's exactly what you are asking, but you may be interested in The Chestahedron...

Is it a new shape or not?

The chestahedron is a unique volume constructed of four equilateral triangles and three “kite” shapes (quadrilaterals). The chestahedron is unique in that the areas of the triangles and quadrilaterals are equal. The chestahedron is the first seven-sided volume with faces of equal area

www.frankchester.com...

I have not read the linked pages fully but read about it in quite some detail in an interview with it's creator/discoverer a couple of years ago. When spun in water it creates a bell shaped vortex iirc and i believe it is supposed to have correspondences to chambers of the heart too. Plenty more about it online for those who care to research the matter.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

A black hole within another black hole would be a sight to behold.

I like your way of thinking op. Nothing can exist without consciousness first making it so.

(-*-)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

I thought of the same thing as you when I was in my early twenties. I came to the conclusion that we cannot imagine what we have never experienced with our senses.

As an example, I give you this: After realizing this I just thought it was maybe a reality and started asking people around me and then eventually I stopped wondering about it. However, later on, I pursued my studies to be an electrical engineer, where I attended an advanced math class. The teacher drew up a formula and it had four variables. He then explained that we can draw a shape from a three variable formula (hence 3-D) then he asked us to imagine a four dimensional object. Some of us closed are eyes and tried.

He laughed at us and said: " It is impossible silly! Nobody can think of a four dimensional shape because we have never seen one." Plus, we are trapped in the 3rd dimension.

We can only see 3-D cross sections of 4-D. To all of those who think they can draw in 4-D I think you need to brush up on your math.

So there you have it. Does anybody still think we can imagine what we have never experienced with our senses?
edit on 21-10-2013 by bitsforbytes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   

FreeMason
I use this as a philosophical question of the implication of the question itself!

What is the implication that we as humans cannot imagine or think of a shape that does not exist?

I believe a God can think of a shape that does not exist, that is His nature, His ability to do things we cannot.

Our limitations are so sever but as you would see in my thread about "science being a religion" a lot of people think humans are limitless in our abilities, which is utter garbage. We are very limited if only by the physics which defines our world. So then what is the implications of the shape we cannot think of?

Is it that we have yet to go there?

Is it that we can never go there?

Is it that there can be no more shapes we cannot think of, than what already exists?

There is a good video on the youtubes that has a university physicist and computer scientist talking about the very small code that is necessary to simulate a universe. They state that it is possible with computers to crunch all numbers in simulations. Assuming God is what we know Him to be, infinity shows us that what is yet to be known is already seen at some level by God. If infinity expands ( a new shape for instance ), then God has already seen it before we can. Infinity never ends. It only expands to infinity.

edit on 21-10-2013 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Nivek555

You're welcome niveK Kevin.

By the away, welcome to ATS!

new topics

top topics

join