It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Hubble Image of ISON

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Comet ISON Appears Intact - October 17, 2013 02:00 PM (EDT)

Nice and interesting images

We’ve been showing images of Comet ISON from amateur astronomers around the world, but now that NASA is back from the government shutdown, here’s more proof that the comet is still intact and has not disintegrated … despite some predictions to the contrary.......

NASA explains:

In this NASA Hubble Space Telescope image taken on October 9, the comet’s solid nucleus is unresolved because it is so small. If the nucleus broke apart then Hubble would have likely seen evidence for multiple fragments.

Moreover, the coma or head surrounding the comet’s nucleus is symmetric and smooth. This would probably not be the case if clusters of smaller fragments were flying along. What’s more, a polar jet of dust first seen in Hubble images taken in April is no longer visible and may have turned off.

This color composite image was assembled using two filters. The comet’s coma appears cyan, a greenish-blue color due to gas, while the tail is reddish due to dust streaming off the nucleus. The tail forms as dust particles are pushed away from the nucleus by the pressure of sunlight. The comet was inside Mars’ orbit and 177 million miles (284 million km) from Earth when photographed

Read more: www.universetoday.com...

Our visitor is getting closer in all it`s splendor !

edit on 18-10-2013 by AQ6666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Interesting.

I'm not sold on the video for a few reasons. I'm not well versed on imaging enhancement, so I don't know that his breakdown is legitimate as far as the "multiple objects" he points out. Is it possible it's an effect created by low quality imaging or the stacking (he said himself the quaility isnt great)? Is he an astronomer? Or an armchair "expert"? I feel I don't have enough information to know if he is legit, and if his statements are accurate. Are there any other sources with similar claims? And what is your opinion? Are you debunking his vid or do you agree?

Forgive my skepticism. After a few years on ATS, I'm leery of YouTube.

The comet is quite beautiful and I'm looking forward to seeing it, should it continue to brighten up enough and stay intact as it nears.

edit on 18-10-2013 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-10-2013 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

Just added another source in my edit

Sorry, I know that there are already several threads on this subject but I find this comet ISON (or ZION as some say, lol) fascinating

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

NASA's Hubble Sees Comet ISON Intact
A new image of the sunward plunging comet ISON suggests that the comet is intact despite some predictions that the fragile icy nucleus might disintegrate as the sun warms it. The comet will pass closest to the sun on Nov. 28.

In this NASA Hubble Space Telescope image taken on Oct. 9, the comet's solid nucleus is unresolved because it is so small. If the nucleus broke apart then Hubble would have likely seen evidence for multiple fragments.

Moreover, the coma or head surrounding the comet's nucleus is symmetric and smooth. This would probably not be the case if clusters of smaller fragments were flying along. What's more, a polar jet of dust first seen in Hubble images taken in April is no longer visible and may have turned off.

This color composite image was assembled using two filters. The comet's coma appears cyan, a greenish-blue color due to gas, while the tail is reddish due to dust streaming off the nucleus. The tail forms as dust particles are pushed away from the nucleus by the pressure of sunlight. The comet was inside Mars’ orbit and 177 million miles from Earth when photographed. Comet ISON is predicted to make its closest approach to Earth on Dec. 26, at a distance of 39.9 million miles.

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Can't wait. I'm glad the news about ISON is getting better. She might just put on a good show yet!

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

RammerJammer
Can't wait. I'm glad the news about ISON is getting better. She might just put on a good show yet!

Hmmm, so ISON is a SHE ? ....I like it even more now

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by AQ6666

So you've provided sources from youtube, NASA and universe today and you choose to go with the misleading YouTube title.

Why?

I'm confused...

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by AlphaHawk

Why not ? ...Anyway, title edited. Better now ?

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

AQ6666
reply to post by AlphaHawk

Why not ? ...Anyway, title edited. Better now ?

What is your stance? Your opinion?

It's confusing because you posted a YouTube video, followed by a copy and paste of information that contradicts the video, while leaving no opinion of your own or clarification of what your line of thought was in posting the thread to begin with.

We aren't mind readers, ya know?

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

Ok, as any ATS member I too like a little of mistery and doom (not the real thing you know, only the one we can talk about, maybe listen and see, but doesn`t cause any damage to us, lol), but as a rational person I prefer to trust in sources like NASA, rather than YouTube ....so why not post a bit of both ?

edit on 18-10-2013 by AQ6666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Hey wait! is that ISON? whoaa cool!!
Star and Flag Sir!

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
And for people on phone data plans here is a link to a picture of ISON from hubble.

Ison from Hubble

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Regarding any possible features in the ISON's coma (jets, objects, anything like that), the astronomy community is looking very closely, using veritable image processing and analysis, so we'll hear about it from them.

So far, there's only been the forward-facing jet, and some structure in the tail, but both seem to have gone by now.

Here's an example of the real analysis done by a real amateur astronomer: www.facebook.com... It's at the International Comet group on Facebook, where amateur astronomers post their own findings, images, analysis, etc.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

Cool!

top topics

join