It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are Rigel4 ..We Offer Free Computer help

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

rigel4
reply to post by caterpillage

There might be some problems desoldering .. due to led free solder being used on most modern components.
If you encounter this ie solder wont melt to remove failed component.. then you might have to use micro drills to remove the item.

Can be purchased in most elctronic stores as well as a hand tool to rotate them.. be careful though.

A jewelers lense and a mechanisom for holding it over the electronic parts is invaluable too.

edit on 16-10-2013 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

Interesting, I haven't ran across that yet. I'll keep an eye out for that..

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
i did a service pack 3 upgrade on windows xp for a friend but when i had done it the cpu on the computer was running at 100% .

i had to do a system restore on it back to sp 2 any ideas guys as i know xp will stop doing support soon and wanted the latest pack for her .

thanks again geo

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by geobro

It has been a long time since I used Windows XP, but could it be it activated the indexing service? I have seen computers after being updated having it turned on when it was originally off, so they start indexing all the files they find in the predefined areas.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by geobro

Hi..
Never experienced such a scenario in all my time with XP, However!

Did you happen to notice which process or processes were using up your cpu
cycles?

The most obvious one might be svchost.. but could have been anyone of them!

What processor is installed on the system with how much RAM?

Personally I would run Malwayre bytes before the install of SP3 Install your Service
pack and then come back and we can trouble shoot the problem while it is running SP3.
Otherwise we are mostly guessing what the problem could have been.

edit on 18-10-2013 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

rigel4
The most obvious one might be svchost.. but could have been anyone of them!

I suggest using Sysinternal's ProcessExplorer, it shows what services are using the several instances of svchost.

posted on Oct, 18 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

The Galaxy Note tablet is a good Android tablet, but like you said, you would have to purchase a bluetooth keyboard.

The HP Envy is a good tablet also, but it is a Windows 8 tablet. Not sure if you're looking for Windows or Android here.

The HP Slatebook has good performance, but it's display is very cheap, which causes a yellow tint on everything.

If you're into rooting, unlocking and ROMing Android, then I would suggest the Asus Transformer Infinity which is a convertible tablet. The keyboard dock is sold separately. I have both.

From the factory, the Infinity has lag issues, but can easily be fixed by unlocking, rooting, and putting a different ROM onto the tablet.

If the above is not your thing, the updated, much-faster version will be released within the next several weeks: Asus Transformer Pad.

Asus has been the innovator in tablets, and they are the first and original convertible tablet manufacturer.

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Sorry .. I forgot about this post elevatedone!
The post above is quite extensive and hopefully has addressed your needs, but could i ask you
what your purpose is for a tablet?
The reason I ask is that I have a new Nexus 7 and does everything well and very quickly!

posted on Oct, 19 2013 @ 05:19 AM
link   

_BoneZ_
The HP Envy is a good tablet also, but it is a Windows 8 tablet. Not sure if you're looking for Windows or Android here.

Don't forget that Windows 8.1 is now available, so, anyone wanting a Windows tablet should see if it comes with Windows 8 or 8.1.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Thanks for the info...

I'm not sure if I want Android or W8 - either would be ok for me I guess.

This tablet wouldn't get a great deal of use, as I use my Desk Top PC daily.
This would be for travel and occasionally in the living room, If I'm watching TV
but also want to be online... etc...

I might just wait on that Asus that's coming, looks nice.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

OK, I have an odd one for you, something I cannot readily explain.

Running Windows 7 (64bit) with Google Chrome, all updates current etc.

Using Chrome when watching youtube videos only, the CPU and RAM usage spikes to 100% immediately, and sits there. After a few minutes, the entire system shuts down. It can be restarted no problem, but any other pages, even multiple pages open ( I have seven open now for instance), and it is no problem, the usage sits around 10-20% and the RAM is always around 40-45%.

Your input is appreciated (and may earn you a new avatar...)

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

74Templar
reply to post by rigel4

OK, I have an odd one for you, something I cannot readily explain.

Running Windows 7 (64bit) with Google Chrome, all updates current etc.

Using Chrome when watching youtube videos only, the CPU and RAM usage spikes to 100% immediately, and sits there. After a few minutes, the entire system shuts down. It can be restarted no problem, but any other pages, even multiple pages open ( I have seven open now for instance), and it is no problem, the usage sits around 10-20% and the RAM is always around 40-45%.

Your input is appreciated (and may earn you a new avatar...)

Could be Malwayre on your system.. We have been seeing a lot of this recently at work!

Open the task manager and identify which processes are spiking your cpu!

Download malwayrebytes and scan you r system. (It's Free)

Report back after doing these steps.

Good Luck

posted on Oct, 23 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Malwarebytes

Love this program, has saved me many times

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Could be Malwayre on your system.. We have been seeing a lot of this recently at work!

So I got Malwarebytes (I also run Spybot for Malware), and gave it a crack. It did find one bit of adware which was duly removed, so I then went onto Youtube and loaded up a vid. It seemed to spike straight away but then settled, but was still in the 60% range for CPU usage. RAM usage hovered at about 75% but stayed consistent. The CPU went all over the place, anything from 14% to 100%. The computer didn't shut down though, although after a couple of videos the performance became jerky.

Open the task manager and identify which processes are spiking your cpu!

This seemed to be Chrome that used the most, although I have five 'chrome.exe' functions open at once, even though only one page was open. I later opened a couple more tabs to test it, and all it did was wreck the preformance of the video, and slowed the system down quite a bit. No crashes though. In the task manager each one went anywhere between 02 under the CPU column to 27 at one stage. I'll be honest, I don't know what that bit means, but higher means more resources even to me.

At this stage though, no crashes. I was tempted to try out IE to see if it had the same problem, but pound for pound Chrome is a hell of a lot faster than IE.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated, and thanks to Elevatedone for the Malwarebytes link. You guys rock.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Im looking for a program that monitors my internet connection strength, drops, disconnection etc.. pretty much a monitoring system for signal strength.

a graph, a bar or percent number for incoming/outgoing bandwidth or a report of every x mins etc..

The cable internet companies have a system to monitor, i hope the program is available to everyone.

Anything you know of?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

luciddream
Im looking for a program that monitors my internet connection strength, drops, disconnection etc.. pretty much a monitoring system for signal strength.

a graph, a bar or percent number for incoming/outgoing bandwidth or a report of every x mins etc..

The cable internet companies have a system to monitor, i hope the program is available to everyone.
Anything you know of?
Thanks in advance.

I think this is a decent application which should suit your requirements!

Xirrus-Wi-Fi-Inspector

edit on 24-10-2013 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-10-2013 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

Your welcome to the help.. What Antivirus are you running on your system and
what spec is the comp?

Might be able to get your performance a bit better yet !

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

I run avast, spybot, and AVG free versions, as well as Malwarebytes now. I used to run Bitdefender, but found it to be ineffective for paid anti-virus when free was doing just as good a job.

It's an Intel Duo Core 3.16GHz with 4GB of RAM. It is getting a bit dated and really needs a good formatting, but I have been lax of late. It runs W7 64 bit. It's a good system, and I never had any issues before I loaded Chrome (I used to use IE9.. gasp), but only noticed the stalling and excessive use issue after using Chrome.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

74Templar
reply to post by rigel4

I run avast, spybot, and AVG free versions, as well as Malwarebytes now. I used to run Bitdefender, but found it to be ineffective for paid anti-virus when free was doing just as good a job.

It's an Intel Duo Core 3.16GHz with 4GB of RAM. It is getting a bit dated and really needs a good formatting, but I have been lax of late. It runs W7 64 bit. It's a good system, and I never had any issues before I loaded Chrome (I used to use IE9.. gasp), but only noticed the stalling and excessive use issue after using Chrome.

Hi, That's not too bad a system and I would expect better performance from these specifications than you
are getting at the moment!

You need to uninstall one of the anti-viruses .. either Avast or avg.
personally I would get rid of AVG and keep Avast, Running two Anti-viruses is never a good thing.. You take a huge performance hit.

Uninstall everything from your system that you do not recognise or have no real use for (be ruthless)

Then delete all your temp files bring up a Run box/ Windows Key and R combo
in the box type %temp% And delete all you files that appear in the Temp root directory.

Backup your bookmarks and uninstall chrome, and then reinstall it.

You could do more but you should see a performance gain after doing these steps.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I like Ccleaner, for all those temp files. Really helps keep your PC tidy.

posted on Oct, 26 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Just a wee bump for you good folks... Remember if you have PC
problems Rigel4 is here to fix them for you.

edit on 26-10-2013 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join