It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

African American Masons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
A friend of mine, who is just a regualar person, said that there were Black Masons who were different from other masons. Is this true?

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
when in nj i noticed that there were several african-american masons on the highway (in 1 hour i passed about ten) i usually try to see whos driving the fancy car with the masonic emblems on it

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ruffy
A friend of mine, who is just a regualar person, said that there were Black Masons who were different from other masons. Is this true?

Technically, no. The first black Mason was a freeborn Englishman named Prince Hall, who became a Master Mason in a British Lodge. He later received a Charter to open a Lodge in the US, and initiated a large number of African-Americans, as well as several black Englishmen.

After several years, the Grand Lodge of England dropped this Lodge from its roll because it had ceased to pay dues. In reality, the Prince Hall lodge had declared itself sovereign and independent. Eventually, the Prince Hall faction chartered Grand Lodges in all 50 states, and they still remain in existence.

Today, blacks compose the majority of Prince Hall Lodges, while whites compose the majority of "mainstream" Lodges. However, race is not an issue, and a black man can join mainstream Masonry, just as a white man may join Prince Hall. It's completely up to the individual. In most states, the mainstream Grand Lodge and Prince Hall Grand Lodge recognize each other, and allow intervisitation.

Fiat Lvx.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Masonic Light's answer is ditto for the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania as well.

The Grand Lodge of PA permits intervisitation of Prince Hall Lodges. Currently, there is no duel membership between PA F & AM Lodges and Prince Hall Lodges. My Lodge does have a Black member, a friend of mine who's sons I teach martial arts to.

join