It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald’s worker arrested after telling company president she can’t afford shoes

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

goou111
That being said if you are still making only $8.25 an hour after ten years at any job, it's your own dam fault.

No actually its not.
If the minimum wage had kept pace with inflation, as it should have, minimum wage would be around $40K/year. The rich, who wish to exploit their employees to make more money for themselves, have spent a small fortune lobbying to keep minimum wage artificially low. So now someone who we consider a “national standard” wage earner, at $40K is actually only making the present day equivalent of minimum wage, and those making minimum wage are in reality working for slave labor wages. They are also the ones pitching a fit about no longer being able to exploit the tax payers for their healthcare benefits by using Medicaid as their benefits package, and who want cut all social benefits.

The fact is that a minimum wage earner in 1970 was making today's equivalent of $40K, today they are making $15K. Today, an average “middle class” employee is making $45K, just slightly more than the 1970 equivalent of minimum wage.

Better not say anything though, because God forbid should you insult our masters and tell them that its time they took a bit less profit for themselves, for the greater good of the many...

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

NavyDoc
reply to post by doobydoll

If they don't have the gumption to come in on time and gain more skills to make themselves better and more valuable, do you honestly think they have the gumption to show up for the revolution?

They aren't pissed off enough yet. Gumption is borne of acute pissed off-itis, which has a long incubation period, unfortunately.

McD's NEED burger-flippers in order to function and profit. Without burger-flippers McD's can't exist. McD's can't do anything at all (except shut down) without their underpaid, unappreciated burger-flippers. In stark reality, burger-flippers are the whole backbone of McD's, the entire company only runs because of them. So you see, they ARE valuable workers indeed. Both need to realise this.

But for now it's like I say, they don't realise their value to these companies which DEPEND on unskilled/unskilled labour in order to operate and survive - it's an unspoken rule that a qualification for the job is that you don't have qualifications.

But they aren't pissed off enough yet. Keep it up, it won't be long.

And it won't just be McD's workers either ;D

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I hope that folks realize that many of these fast food restaurants hire employees that come from government work programs such as “work release”, and are actually paid by the government to hire them. They actually make at least “even” money on hiring these people who then generate a profit at no overhead cost to them.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   

defcon5

I hope that folks realize that many of these fast food restaurants hire employees that come from government work programs such as “work release”, and are actually paid by the government to hire them. They actually make at least “even” money on hiring these people who then generate a profit at no overhead cost to them.

No chance.

They've been brainwashed to despise the poor, it makes them feel superior, and they hate so intensely they can't see the wood for the trees.

I don't get the hate stuff, because the bottom line is that unskilled workers keep businesses afloat, successful, and in profit, aren't these two things the ultimate goals for any business or company?

But instead of getting at least a living wage in return they're treated worse than schitt and paid the least of anyone and have no rights. And despite being the reason for the success and profits their employers enjoy, still have to go cap in hand for government assistance or they can't feed their families because apparently, they are nothing but unskilled, untrained, uneducated nobodies who aren't worth more.

They are worth more. They just don't know it yet.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

doobydoll

NavyDoc

If they don't have the gumption to come in on time and gain more skills to make themselves better and more valuable, do you honestly think they have the gumption to show up for the revolution?

They aren't pissed off enough yet. Gumption is borne of acute pissed off-itis, which has a long incubation period, unfortunately.

McD's NEED burger-flippers in order to function and profit. Without burger-flippers McD's can't exist. McD's can't do anything at all (except shut down) without their underpaid, unappreciated burger-flippers. In stark reality, burger-flippers are the whole backbone of McD's, the entire company only runs because of them. So you see, they ARE valuable workers indeed. Both need to realise this.

But for now it's like I say, they don't realise their value to these companies which DEPEND on unskilled/unskilled labour in order to operate and survive - it's an unspoken rule that a qualification for the job is that you don't have qualifications.

They are looking forward to either automated burger flippers or naobot brain dead human burger flippers that all they have to do is feed once in a while. Whatever the future it is not looking good. Plus all of the corps are making record profits even the ones boohooing about bad years.

We have gotten used to being poor, we live pretty much free of extras of any kind except the internet and basic cable, i don't mind but work hours increased as the profit disappeared for us.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Just another perfect example of how corrupt this country is. :/

We need to start fighting for our rights before they're completely and entirely gone! (We're already almost at that point....)

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Char-Lee

doobydoll

NavyDoc

They are looking forward to either automated burger flippers or naobot brain dead human burger flippers that all they have to do is feed once in a while. Whatever the future it is not looking good. Plus all of the corps are making record profits even the ones boohooing about bad years.

We have gotten used to being poor, we live pretty much free of extras of any kind except the internet and basic cable, i don't mind but work hours increased as the profit disappeared for us.

It will all come crashing down in time.

Corps and all the top elite will one day have all the money, all the power, no-one else will have anything left for them to take. That's when they'll begin to look at how much each other have, and begin scheming to take from each other and fight amongst themselves. They are greedy, and greed by it's very nature can NEVER ever be satiated. When there is nothing left for greed to feed off, it has to turn on itself in it's need for more. It self-destructs.

happy ending

edit on 10-10-2013 by doobydoll because: sp

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
If I made twice as much, I'd drive a BMW and have a 3-story house with 3 bedrooms and 2.5 baths.

If that's the case, then what would the poor rich people drive? Where would they live?

You see what I'm saying? The rich can only get so rich, there is only so much opulence one can attain. The rich realize this, and have to keep the middle and lower classes at the same arms-length over the decades. If this means letting inflation rise and keeping wages low...so be it.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Wow, $8.25 an hour??? I was getting paid that my first 6 months at Fuddruckers when I was 16!

Well I guess we can see just how much Mcdonald's really cares about it's employees! but those kinds of jobs have a high turnover rate, they literally have applications stacked high with people wanted a job there.

Go work for a gourmet job, be a bus boy and work your way up, before I went military, I work in the restaurant biz for a good 9 years, Fuddruckers to Hooters and I always got paid good for something that was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo easy, be that bussing, cooking, prepping, taking orders, whatever, too easy.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

The thing is, these people aren't really asking for BMW's and mansions, they only want to be able to pay their bills and afford to live without asking for help from the government.

If they are contributing to society and working doing whatever job, it's reasonable that the least they should be paid is enough to live on without gov help.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Maybe you could use a little HELP

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   

doobydoll

mikell
If you set your lifes goals low don't be upset about what you get. 10 years and she's unhappy I'd fire her and get someone off the street for $0.10 more per hour and probably have a better employee. She's probably the kind that does the bare minimum to keep the job

It isn't illegal yet to not have ambition in life.

Some of you people make my arse laugh. People are working but even that isn't enough for you, you want them to do a BETTER job whether it's what they want or not, whether there are the jobs available or not. It just makes you feel better that someone else is struggling to live on crap pay and you demand they jump through hoops to get more pay: work two jobs, or three or four, get qualifications (cos there are LOADS of jobs for qualified workers - HA!), be a manager, do this, do that.

I hope she does do the bare minimum to keep the job, I hope they ALL do. Minimum pay gets minimum work - fair's fair.

Not illegal to have no ambition--this is true. However, if you have no ambition, you have no right to bitch about not being paid more than you are worth and that it isn't "the man" keeping you down, it is your own lack of ambition.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

doobydoll

NavyDoc

If they don't have ambition to better their work and lifestyle, then they won't have ambition to foment a revolution. A lot of talk and demands for government to take care of them either through direct handouts or regulation, but they are not taking up the red flags themselves and storming parliament. Naw...to much effort...get someone else to do it.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Yeah, this is all over the news in Canada!!!
I couldn't believe my ears when I heard on CBC Radio yesterday afternoon.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

defcon5

goou111
That being said if you are still making only $8.25 an hour after ten years at any job, it's your own dam fault.

No actually its not.
If the minimum wage had kept pace with inflation, as it should have, minimum wage would be around $40K/year. The rich, who wish to exploit their employees to make more money for themselves, have spent a small fortune lobbying to keep minimum wage artificially low. So now someone who we consider a “national standard” wage earner, at $40K is actually only making the present day equivalent of minimum wage, and those making minimum wage are in reality working for slave labor wages. They are also the ones pitching a fit about no longer being able to exploit the tax payers for their healthcare benefits by using Medicaid as their benefits package, and who want cut all social benefits.

The fact is that a minimum wage earner in 1970 was making today's equivalent of $40K, today they are making $15K. Today, an average “middle class” employee is making $45K, just slightly more than the 1970 equivalent of minimum wage.

Better not say anything though, because God forbid should you insult our masters and tell them that its time they took a bit less profit for themselves, for the greater good of the many...

So you think that min wage should be $20 an hour? Do you have any idea how much that would drive up the cost of products? Do you really think a grocery store should pay the kid bringing in carts from outside 40k a year?

I would love to know how much gov assistance this woman gets, I would bet she get food stamps for sure. With two kids food stamps could be 600-800 a month. Plus on that wage here in Missouri she would qualify for the state medical insurance for her whole family, for FREE. Plus she would qualify for child care assistance as well. She probably makes the equivilant of 40k a year with all her gov aid.
edit on 11-10-2013 by coop039 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   

defcon5

goou111

No actually its not.

So are you actually arguing that a McDonald's worker who puts fries into a bag and hands them to a customer should be paid $40k a year?

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Biigs
reply to post by buster2010

Who gets paid what at the top has no relevance to the fact that flipping a burger is EXTREMELY SIMPLE and the fact you have X years doing it makes little difference apart from the fact you are reliable.

If you want to have a large family and live in a big house and drive a nice car, its called getting an education and getting that CEOs job.

This is not rocket surgery.

Yes it does have a relevance in terms of pay. There is nothing this man does that warrants his pay to be that much higher than the average worker. Oh yes the old get an education and get a jobs as CEO. And where are all these CEO jobs going to come from?

But then again I'm debating this with a person that lives in a country that supports separation of classes.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

jjkenobi

defcon5

goou111

No actually its not.

So are you actually arguing that a McDonald's worker who puts fries into a bag and hands them to a customer should be paid $40k a year?

You don't seem to get the point he's making. The min wage has been stagnant for 30 years. The cost of living kept going up but the min wage didn't. So McD's and other companies need to raise workers pay so they can at least live on it.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

buster2010

jjkenobi

defcon5

goou111

No actually its not.

You don't seem to get the point he's making. The min wage has been stagnant for 30 years. The cost of living kept going up but the min wage didn't. So McD's and other companies need to raise workers pay so they can at least live on it.

If min wage went up that high the cost of everything would go up the same amount. And then they would be in the same place they are now, bitchin wanting more money with minimal work.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Yet you still go to McDonalds...lol. That shows more of you than you know. The crap they sell as food should be illegal. But someone like you who "frequents" their shop of horrors and then espouse McDonalds business model only suggests you deserve the crap they feed you.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join