It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nutritional Anatomy: Foods That Resemble the Body Part They Aid : Doctrine of Signatures

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

AsarAlubat

FreeMason
Why wouldn't I just eat the actual body part instead of focusing on this mumbo jumbo?

I've always been keen to the hypothesis that we are supposed to eat non-animal-derived foods.

I'm sure I eat much less meat then you.

However, I'm not unaware to the fact that meat-eating was essential for human evolution.

I enjoy receiving the bulk of my protein through other methods.

If I want a better liver, just eat liver?

I'm not really a fan - I'll eat beef liver occasionally. Too.. tough? Too.. metallic-y?

My dogs love it.

Not going to deny that liver is superb for your liver and body, though. Bountiful with antioxidants like Vitamin C. Great source of B12 and other B vitamins. Also high in Zinc and Vitamin A. A deficiency in Vit. A will cause night blindness.. so Liver is fantastic for your eyes.. The Greeks found that out a long time ago.

If I want a better brain just eat more brains?

Can't really help you too much there. As long as the brain is healthy and free of diseases, I'm sure there are some benefits....

I'll pass though, thank you

If you're going cannibalistic, I'd watch out for human prion diseases.. a.k.a. transmissible spongiform encephalopathies.

Happy eating,

-AA

Your hypothesis is completely wrong (disregarding moral considerations). Meat is not just how we developed, it's what we are made to consume. Most of what you say tho is correct, definitely can't be a cannibal and be healthy. However, you just can't put on the size and mass needed to be Alpha Dog with vegetables and legumes alone.

We live in a society where we have the luxury to deny strength and savagery, but remember that is is just a luxury.

But more on topic, I just can't figure out how someone can say a walnut looks like a brain and so feeds our brain, but ignores actual brain for eating?
edit on 14-10-2013 by FreeMason because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   

FreeMason
Your hypothesis is completely wrong (disregarding moral considerations).

Agree to disagree.

FreeMason
Meat is not just how we developed, it's what we are made to consume.

Agree to disagree.

Cardiologist William C. Roberts hails from the famed cattle state of Texas, but he says this without hesitation: Humans aren't physiologically designed to eat meat. "I think the evidence is pretty clear. If you look at various characteristics of carnivores versus herbivores, it doesn't take a genius to see where humans line up."

As further evidence, Roberts cites the carnivore's short intestinal tract, which reaches about three times its body length. An herbivore's intestines are 12 times its body length, and humans are closer to herbivores, he says.

source (rense.com)

Oh, also- in a human mouth- we have four incisors, compared to only two canines - a clear indication that we're closer to herbivores. Our front teeth are sharp, but not meat-eating sharp- but we do have flat rear molars for grinding. Like herbivores.

Oh, also- we can't run fast enough to catch our food.. and we don't have claws. (We do use tools, though.) We sweat through our skin pores like an herbivore/omnivore.. many/most meat-eating animals sweat through their tongue.

Oh, also- our stomach acid is about twenty times weaker than that of a carnivore. Plus, a meat-eater's saliva glands are not needed to pre-digest food. A human, and/or an herbivore- has well-developed saliva glands that pre-digest grains and fruit. We (and herbivores..) have saliva with the enzyme ptyalin to pre-digest grains. Carnivores have saliva with no enzyme ptyalin.

Our closest mammal relatives- don't really eat much meat. Some insects and small rodents occasionally.

FreeMason
Most of what you say tho is correct, definitely can't be a cannibal and be healthy.

Well, I'm glad you agree. Looks like the general populace is safe from FreeMason's palate.

FreeMason
However, you just can't put on the size and mass needed to be Alpha Dog with vegetables and legumes alone.

Is that what you are? Alpha Dog? Is that the sole importance to life as we know it?

Humans have eaten meat for a long time- despite our incapability to fully digest all the ingredients of meat.

If you eat a veggie- it is totally digested and assimilated in human body.

There are plenty of alternative protein sources.

AsarAlubat
However, I'm not unaware to the fact that meat-eating was essential for human evolution.

Eating Meat Made Us Human

Because our ancestors ate so much meat (it appears), we evolved in certain ways attributed to that factor of their lifestyle.. so I guess we are both right in a way. But our human, physiological body, as it exists currently, still resembles (and is able to processes thoroughly) an herbivore, in most retrospects. IMO.

I don't like to eat meat more than 2-3 times a week (for one meal).. I've been thinking about cutting it out altogether. Just because that's how I wish to live my life- I don't mind if you eat meat for every meal. Hope you can respect my decisions as well.

Our fondness for a juicy steak triggered a number of adaptations over countless generations. For instance, our jaws have gotten smaller, and we have an improved ability to process cholesterol and fat.

Our taste for meat has also led us into some trouble—our teeth are too big for our downsized jaws and most of us need dental work.

source (nationalgeographic.com)

(image belongs to celestialhealing.net)

FreeMason
But more on topic, I just can't figure out how someone can say a walnut looks like a brain and so feeds our brain, but ignores actual brain for eating?

The topic is "Foods That Resemble the Body Part They Aid".

Brains don't resemble brains; they are brains. Same with liver.

I'm happy to discuss off topic subjects with you. Just don't troll everything I say.

Please. Thank you. And, thank you for bringing up some good points.

Respectfully yours,

-AA

P.S. Sorry for the wait- here come the next two list items!

link   

GRAPEFRUIT FRUIT & THE MAMMARY GLANDS

We are not grapefruit-specific here.. realistically we're talking about most citrus fruits. I just found a nice grapefruit picture I really wanted to use.

So, how do citrus fruits help the mammory glands? Let's find out- but keep in mind that citrus fruits are great for your entire body! Everyone should get enough citrus..

First, we must understand what the lymphatic system is..

Your lymphatic system is an important part of your immune system. It is a network of vessels, nodes, ducts, and organs that carry lymphatic fluid to the blood and toward the heart to cleanse the body.

source (voices.yahoo.com)

Lymphatic fluid, also known as lymph, is a clear to milky white fluid (color depends upon where and how it was produced), that circulates throughout your lymphatic system. Lymph contains white blood cells- the lymph that leaves a lymph node is richer in lymphocytes.

source (wikipedia.org - 'Lymph')
source (wikipedia.org - 'Lymphocyte')

There is an extensive network of lymph nodes around the female breasts (there are lymph nodes all over the body).

source (cancerresearchuk.org)

Citrus fruits help keep the lymphatic system healthy! It helps the circulation of lymph in the mammary glands and all throughout the body.

source (organicfacts.net)

Delays mammary tumors? Fights breast cancer?

Naringenin is present in grapefruit mainly as its glycosylated form, naringin. These compounds, as well as grapefruit and orange juice concentrates, were tested for their ability to inhibit development of mammary tumors..

..but in both experiments tumor development was delayed in the groups given orange juice or fed the naringin-supplemented diet compared with the other three groups.

source (ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)

We investigated the association between dietary intake of citrus fruits and breast cancer risk..

..the theory that vegetables and fruits protect against some cancers is supported by evidence from studies on foods containing carotenoids [4], β-carotene [5], lycopene [6], folate [7], vitamin C [8], vitamin E [9], B-vitamin pyridoxine (vitamin B6) [10], selenium [11], and quercetin..

..citrus fruits are complex sources of β-cryptoxanthin (carotenoid), β-carotene, folate, vitamin C, and Quercetin (flavonoid) [4]. They are fruits commonly eaten including oranges, tangerines, grapefruits, lemons, and limes [4]. Taking the above into consideration, we have conducted a systematic review and meta-analysis to explore the hypothesis that dietary intake of citrus fruits may be associated with a reduced risk of breast cancer...

..The results indicate that a higher intake of citrus fruits may decrease breast cancer risks.

source (ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)

Try to eat a good amount of citrus fruit throughout the morning. You'll feel great and energized throughout the day.

What is your favorite citrus fruit, ATS?

Regards,

-AA

link   

BANANAS & THE FINGERS

This one is sort of hit or miss. Doesn't mean we can't learn something!

Well.. Not only is the collective noun for bananas called a 'hand'-

but a hand of bananas really do look like a bunch of fingers.. Could they help our hands/fingers at all?

Well, they do have quite a bit of potassium, as you may have heard.

Potassium is an electrolyte (a substance that maintains your body's fluid levels), this mineral helps regulate blood pressure and heart function.

Potassium aids rheumatic or arthritic conditions (causing acids to leave the joints and ease stiffness).

source (vitamins-nutrition.org)

There are many joints in your hands.. three in each finger and two in each thumb.

I like to eat a banana or two- within a couple hours before playing guitar.

Naturally low in fat and rich in nutrition, bananas also contain healthy dietary fiber. In addition, they provide many of the essential vitamins you need to support the health of all your cells, tissues and organs..

..one medium banana provides about 10 milligrams of vitamin C..

..there are eight B vitamins, commonly called the B complex because they often act together in helping your body derive energy from the food you eat. Of these eight, bananas contain significant amounts of five B vitamins -- thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B-6 and folate..

..bananas also contain vitamin E, sometimes referred to as alpha-tocopherol. Vitamin E is one of the fat-soluble vitamins, so your body is able to store it when you take in an excess. Like vitamin C, vitamin E is an antioxidant that helps your body rid itself of free radicals, potentially damaging chemicals that can speed aging and raise your risk of cancer and other disorders. Vitamin E also boosts your immune system, helping protect you from infection, and it helps prevent blood clots and dilates your blood vessels to improve blood flow. The RDA for vitamin E is 15 milligrams for adults. One medium banana provides about 0.1 milligrams of vitamin E, a small but significant amount of this important vitamin...

..bananas also contain a small amount of vitamin K, another fat-soluble vitamin and an important factor that helps your body make many different proteins, including several essential for blood clotting..

source (healthyeating.sfgate.com)

No wonder monkeys like bananas so much!

If you feel like cooking... Banana Bread is extremely delightful.

Banana Bread Recipe

Have you been getting your fill of banana lately?

Regards,

-AA

posted on Oct, 15 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by AsarAlubat

Sorry but our gut doesn't lie, we don't have much of a cecum anymore which is what is needed to process vegetarian diets. Our cecum is maybe at most 6in-12in long. Out of 27 feet of intestine. The rest of our intestine is designed for meat. And while our mouths don't look like a Tiger mouth, our guts do.

Oh and our teeth are built to chew meat, a mouth like a lion's etc., are built to be weapons, and also built to chew through bone which we don't need to do because we can break bones with our hands. So there are other physiological reasons we don't have a weaponized mouth.

But I don't mean to troll, I said my peace about that off topic subject. On topic you did address my issue I suppose a brain is a brain....but I still don't get why we'd go looking for food that looks like body parts when we have body parts to eat that actually are made of the stuff that body part needs?
edit on 15-10-2013 by FreeMason because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by FreeMason

I think your wrong about needing to eat so much meat.
Humans used to have an enormous stomach just like most of the apes do, it allowed us to process enough veg to sustain ourselves. But then we learnt to cook food. Cooking food made it easier for us to digest the food, and that meant we didn't need to eat so much, leading to a smaller stomach and a larger brain. When our stomachs got smaller and our brains got bigger we realised we were able to trap animals and we started eating them. This most likely came about because of times when vegetation was in short supply.

By the way, I know several people who are 100% veggies! They are no less healthy or capable than those who eat meat. I myself eat very little meat, maybe a couple of sausages per week at most, and I too am completely healthy!

<< 1   >>

join