It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NVIDIA Begins to Certify Hardware for Multi-GPU Deployments

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   

NVIDIA Begins to Certify Hardware for Multi-GPU Deployments
Having made graphics cards able to work in Multi-GPU mode thanks to SLI technology available and standing close to commercially release a core-logic that simplifies and enhances systems with two graphics cards, NVIDIA Corp. announced a program to certify hardware supposed to deliver SLI Multi-GPU technology to end-users.

The NVIDIA SLI certification process includes complex testing and analysis to ensure electrical, mechanical, and thermal compatibility. For PC system integrators, NVIDIA will check thermal measurements and ensure additional shock, power, and vibration tests are conducted on multiple components, including hard drives, fans, and power supplies. For application developers who wish to tune their applications to run best under SLI configurations, NVIDIA is providing performance tools and a complete SLI development system that allow their content to take advantage of additional detail levels and resolutions not previously available to single GPU systems.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

For those of you who don't know about SLI its a new technology that will enable you to run two 3D Video Cards in your system in order to increase overall graphics performance using the PCI-EXPRESS bus. This is a must have for hardcore gamers and graphics profesionals. I can't wait. *DROOL*

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   
SLI has been around since the monster addon cards in mid 90's, you could buy 2 and connect them in SLI Mode doubling ur performance...consisted of a jumper cable internally and externally cabled to ur existing reg vid card.

Heres some old specs on the cards. Monster II

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I want me some SLI man. Just imagine.... running 2 NVIDIA Geforce 6800GT's in SLI on an Athlon FX System with 2GB of RAM. *DROOL*

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ocelot
I want me some SLI man. Just imagine.... running 2 NVIDIA Geforce 6800GT's in SLI on an Athlon FX System with 2GB of RAM. *DROOL*

Your such a computer nerd.

I swear..... it does sound cool.

Later,

Reason

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by REASON
Your such a computer nerd.

I swear..... it does sound cool.

Later,

Reason

Well I should since im a computer science major, and I also have my own computer business. Computers are geek pr0n!

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Is this perhaps something that can handle Doom 3 without lagging?

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
Is this perhaps something that can handle Doom 3 without lagging?

Dude any NVIDIA 6800 series card can handle DOOM3 without lagging, depending on your graphics settings.

My brother runs DOOM3 on an ATi Radeon 9700PRO on High Quality and he gets 40+ FPS in the game. With an SLI Setup DOOM3 would run even faster.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I guess part of my problem could be that im running a generic geforce card. 256mb 8x card. Doom 3 lags like hell on maximum settings. I can handle Painkiller ok at maximum.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   

I guess part of my problem could be that im running a generic geforce card. 256mb 8x card. Doom 3 lags like hell on maximum settings. I can handle Painkiller ok at maximum.

What chipset is your card? Geforce FX series? 6600 series? 6800 series?

What CPU you have? How much Ram?

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Not sure what chipset I have. I'm going by memory but I THINK its 5500. I have An Athlon XP 2500 with 1 gb of ram. I suspect some of the lag comes from using an AMD processor. I'm not a fan of them. Soon as the holidays are over I'm upgrading to a p4.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Not sure what chipset I have. I'm going by memory but I THINK its 5500. I have An Athlon XP 2500 with 1 gb of ram. I suspect some of the lag comes from using an AMD processor. I'm not a fan of them. Soon as the holidays are over I'm upgrading to a p4.

Nope not your processor, it's your Video Card. You have an NVIDIA GeForce 5500 FX, and that vid card is crap. If you're looking to upgrade get an AMD Athlon 64 CPU/and Motherboard with either an ATi X800 PRO or an NVIDIA 6800 series card, and your games will run silky smooth. Oh and BTW AMD64 Processors kick the crap out of P4's in GAMING benchmarks.

posted on Nov, 14 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Agreed the 5500 is crap. I am not a bit happy with it. It was better than what I had. But it really isn't what I want. It was the best I could convince the wife to let me get at the time
. I seriously doubt I will ever buy another AMD. I have not been happy with any AMD system I have ever used. Their benchmarks don't matter to me because they are unstable. To me they are just low grade P4's that are overclocked. And the heat adds to their instability. Just my opinion but I have a p3 800 that is barely out performed by this AMD 2500.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   
i only put amd's in my boxes... if they are unstable to you .. you have other problems because its not the chips.. dont think my box i built about a year ago has crashed even once... not that p4's arent good chips but the amd priceing works for me best

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by bobobb
i only put amd's in my boxes... if they are unstable to you .. you have other problems because its not the chips.. dont think my box i built about a year ago has crashed even once... not that p4's arent good chips but the amd priceing works for me best

I've used both P4's and AMD's and let me say I absolutely love AMD's way better. I recommend AMD CPU's to all my customers.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I don't know what you guys do with your processors but when it comes to intense loads I'd put my money with the Intel. If you need performance and stability you need Intel. When it comes to servers AMD just doesn't cut it. I've used a number of Intel and AMD servers and the Intel ones have always performed best. Especially when using Linux.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I remember when I had two Voodoo 2's in SLI, one did odd and the other even pixel lines in the screen, taking on half the load each, so it's nothing new, though I'd expect the Geforces spread the load differently.

Pity I'm a poor student and can't even afford one 6800 really

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I think the new Alienware ALX model of computers is going to use SLI and PCI Express. Here is the link, it gives a little more overview on the subject.
alienware.com...

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sarcasimo
I think the new Alienware ALX model of computers is going to use SLI and PCI Express. Here is the link, it gives a little more overview on the subject.
alienware.com...

yeah Alienware announced they were using SLI on their systems a couple of months ago. I don't like Alienware machines, I think they're overhyped and overpriced.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Its nice SLI 2 video cards make comeback, used to have 2x voodoo2 when it was possible Nvidia bought 3dfx and obtained that same technology ages ago. Seems current comeback is cause of CPU speed increase seems slow down while new games and programs allow more and more realistic graphics so why not hit on that spot and make clusters of video cards soon for commercial use and start to sell home CPU clusters when their cost go down instead one super fast CPU.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I remember SLI from Voodoo2s, it wasn't a great improvement after all, I rather buy a new card.

join