It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An idea to make ATS threads more asthetic and better for ATS.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Hi, I just wanted to put to staff, admin and seasoned members a simple idea to make ATS threads more asthetic and all round better for ATS.

I am talking about the many posts with these type of images (and no content)...

They come like the above, or other ones such as "very large quote removed by staff" etc. etc. and many posts just contain such messages with no user content.

Now I understand the need for these to keep threads clean and on topic etc. and also to alert the poster of their error but they do look unsightly in posts and also use up resources for what are essentially junk posts that contain no material at all, they are also not pleasing on the eye for the reader and an annoyance.

Would it not be better to make these notices temoporary? Then, instead of having thousands of useless posts they will be removed after a certain amount of time? This way, the poster gets to see the message/warning but then it isn't left forever taking up both thread space and ATS resourses?

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by lifttheveil

Then I would never know who it was that could not hold their tongue in reply to me. And I would be confused and sad.

You have to admit they are a lot better than the old ones, where the post was left, the content removed and replaced by an image. this removes the entire post container and sticks a nifty little 'naughty' spot in.

i actually have been missing some of them as it is, how is it you're seeing them as intrusive?? oO

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Yeah, I have to agree. They are definitely better than the old ones. The first time I actually noticed one after the change, I wasn't sure what it was till I read it. Since then, I miss them if I'm not looking for them. So I don't find them intrusive at all.

Maybe we're the oddballs Wino.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I'm glad they got rid of the Inception style quoting..

They made my eyeballs hurt.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

edit on 3-10-2013 by GOD because: I can

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Yes I agree they are a lot better and I do love the new style.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

I would guess that the actual post is not removed from the database but that a "ModAction" flag, for example, is set so that the staff can review a post if needed. Maybe the ModAction=0 for a normal post, ModAction=1 for a T&C Violation, ModAction=2 for some other infraction, etc.

A system such as this would allow for the placeholder notices to be pushed out to the UI and keep the posts in their original order. It also allows for the scenario where a post that is pointed to in a reply can be referenced but when a user clicks the referenced link, they get taken to the notice where the post was keeping the User Experience (UX) a positive one.

I like the way it is now, the font color could use a little more contrast so it can be read without squinting at my screen but otherwise, it is fine.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

ChuckNasty

I'm glad they got rid of the Inception style quoting..

They made my eyeballs hurt.

I hate this. IMO one of the worst design choices they've ever made.

Yes, it's a shame that some people are too lazy or ignorant and unwilling to trim down multi-post quotes to save space and only include the relevant info from the message they're quoting. But this crappy new filter they're using even edits out anything inside of [ex] tags. So if you're trying to respond to something that was an external quote, you can not quote it in your response.

And in threads that become popular and have quite a lot of pages, this can make a discussion more difficult to follow.

I also don't like the idea of removing the [violation of terms and services] box messages. Yes, they're somewhat unsightly. But they're often shorter than the posts they replace, so it's not like they take up a huge amount of space. Plus, I like to have evidence of when ATS has been busy sanitizing a thread "for our enjoyment."

top topics

join