It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The people-judging and opinion-bashing here is ridiculous!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
All I do is spew out my opinion, and I get replies such as, "nobody cares what you think then"....Like WTF, who are you to say that? You can't speak for EVERYONE!!! I come to this site, NOT to be a troll ONE BIT, and what do I get told when I share my opinion on comic books? I am called a troll. My comment may had been a little much, but no need for the slick talkback...

To those who spend all their time on this site judging others, I highly suggest you go outside and play with reality for a while. I am 22 years old, and a recovering addict of 84 days today. I come to ATS to share my opinions and be as friendly as possible, and if you don't respect that, then leave me alone, don't reply to me, and scroll right past.

My intentions are good, and to not be a troll at all. Too many people getting "starred" for their smarta** sarcastic posts towards people that somehow dodge the T&C's... I try to deny ignorance here, so I guess there really isn't much else I can do but keep my head on straight and not respond harsh to others judging comments (which I am still somehow doing).

Errrrrrrghhhhhhhh /rant

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Do not take it personally. Let it go. Your happiness is not dependent upon people on a forum. If you have trolls on your threads notify the mods. Ignore them. Keep doing what you are doing and drive on.

Hang in there! And congrats on the sobriety!

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by iPutAtlantaOnMyBack

I'm going to say something here that will piss some people off. Others may even call me other creative names for saying it. I really do NOT care.

The fact of the matter is, staff here are few among a site realistically carrying thousands of active members, 10's of thousands who aren't official members and a declared membership over 1/4 million people.

If someone makes a comment like that? Please?? REPORT THEM. Alert the fool and let the mods do what they do best.

I think they are between a rock on a hard place on many things without members filing reports to support more action. If they use personal judgement every time something strikes them as wrong ..even with the group dynamic they have here among staff ...Users *WILL* come to say they are being tyrants and out of control.

If we have all given them a paper trail, so to speak, in support of what they've done on a situation? No questions later ..and I'll bet it's more likely to bring action.

I KNOW no one wants to be a snitch or a whiner..but darn it, if the trolls don't get reports, we'll all be proudly declaring how "no one snitched" right to the last days of a site we all love too much to see fall that way (I hope).

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Snitch!!!

J/K Wrabbit. You're right. That's what the alert button is for OP. Use it. Let the mods make the determination as to whether it's trolling or not. At the same time, no matter what staff does, someone is screaming discrimination, tyrants, heavy handed, "and you're a mod!!!???", and so on. They can't win for losing, sometimes. Wish I could give you more than one star. Well said.

edit on 9/18/2013 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/18/2013 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Some threads are for reading. Some are for learning. Some you should respond with your input, whereas some others, you should not. It gets easier after you learn the difference for you.

Ive also realized who to reply to after a reply Ive made, and whom not to because that poster just wants to argue. After seeing who responded...I either welcome it....or dont bother reading it.

Oh...and learn to DUCK!

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Welcome to free speech. Don't be afraid to let them bury themselves, harassment will be dealt with.

It isn't pretty but, there is nothing better.

Welcome and congratulations on the days!

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Oh, wow! Thank you all for your responses!! It's great to see members on this forum who can supply great advice. I will do what I can to maintain my cool, and definitely take all of your advice!! Wow, I can't say how much y'alls replies mean to me.

Thank you all for taking time out of your day to type all that up. It is very much appreciated. Thanks for making me feel quite welcome here, and look forward to seeing you all throughout the forum. Again, I appreciate y'alls advice and time!

~Stevie

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
One of the reasons I avoided joining for YEARS- seeing so many people speared. Just lurking I have come to recognize certain people who are not the nicest. I really hope i can thicken my skin, because I am too easily affected by others.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000

I'm going to say something here that will piss some people off. Others may even call me other creative names for saying it. I really do NOT care.

The fact of the matter is, staff here are few among a site realistically carrying thousands of active members, 10's of thousands who aren't official members and a declared membership over 1/4 million people.

If someone makes a comment like that? Please?? REPORT THEM. Alert the fool and let the mods do what they do best.

I think they are between a rock on a hard place on many things without members filing reports to support more action. If they use personal judgement every time something strikes them as wrong ..even with the group dynamic they have here among staff ...Users *WILL* come to say they are being tyrants and out of control.

If we have all given them a paper trail, so to speak, in support of what they've done on a situation? No questions later ..and I'll bet it's more likely to bring action.

I KNOW no one wants to be a snitch or a whiner..but darn it, if the trolls don't get reports, we'll all be proudly declaring how "no one snitched" right to the last days of a site we all love too much to see fall that way (I hope).

Let's be 100% clear...
This is the thread the OP is ranting about.

iPutAtlantaOnMyBack
I am 22 years old, and I never read a comic book in my life, especially during my adult years, I would never even think about doing so. I am not a "nerd", nor live in my mom's basement. I do grown up things now

Now coming on to a thread about comics and posting that does not seem like a Troll? This Rant was created after they were Moderated...
edit on 19-9-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Lets add this one too, shall we?

My post was not means of trolling. It was more-so of an attempt to say, "I don't think grown ups should be reading comic books".

www.abovetopsecret.com...

OP. You are obviously welcome to voice your opinion on any thread posted here. But if you didn't want your condescending comments to be challenged, you'd have been better off not to post it.

Since you did, and it was challenged by other members, you got upset, and appealed to the community. I might add that you didn't give us the whole story. "Abeverage" had to do it for you. You're new here, and are still learning the ropes. When you post, know that what you post is going to be challenged by those you are being condescending to.

BTW. Who do you think writes comic books, and collects them. Mostly adults. Hollywood movies are made from them. And you have probably watched them.

edit on 9/19/2013 by Klassified because: rewrite

edit on 9/19/2013 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
welcome to the big bad world of adults things are not that nice as you have found out young man you just will have to toughen up a little and take some to .

congratulations on staying clean for so long now one day at a time bro one little step down a long road but good luck

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Now that the "Whole" story is out there. I am willing to let bygones be bygones if you are?

ATS is not a hostile place and people disagree, but if I offer you respect, I would hope you would do the same.

ALL of us have been through some struggles in life including myself so, I also offer a congratulations on your sobriety! Keep going with it and I'm betting you will find ATS is very supportive about bettering yourself!
edit on 19-9-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Abeverage I am so proud of you!!!!

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
This thread was started in RANT....but that forum is not a place to complain about Staff, other members or ATS.
Please Read:
The Rant Forum Redux

So, I moved this to Chit Chat....
However....ATS is still not a place to call out other members.
If you have a problem with another member: Contacting Staff: Alerts, Suggestions, Complaints
You could also try to find a meeting of the minds via Private Message, but remember all the T&C apply to them.

You're not going to agree with everything that is posted here.....and differing opinions are encouraged and welcome.
What a boring world it would be if we all agreed on everything.
That being said....when you offer that differing opinion, it should be done on topic and with respect.
We expect civility and decorum within all topics.
And, that differing opinion should not be scorned.
No more scoffing and ridicule...
Please realize that differing opinion will be challenged, it's only natural...so be prepared to debate your stance...in a courteous manner.

You'll find more sage advice here:
Index of Important ATS Related Threads
Including what to do about trolls, should they surface in your thread.

**Thread Closed**
edit on Thu Sep 19 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join