It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advantages and disadvantages of regulating businesses.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
To continue on with my previous post on regulating business. What are possible advantages to regulating it and what possible disadvantages could come about it? I think an advantage would be clarity and an even play field for all businesses to follow. Standards can be made to follow as well. A disadvantage may be creativity could be stifled.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by RobFox

Before i respond, can you link to your "previous post"? I would like the context of this discussion.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   

RobFox
To continue on with my previous post on regulating business. What are possible advantages to regulating it and what possible disadvantages could come about it? I think an advantage would be clarity and an even play field for all businesses to follow. Standards can be made to follow as well. A disadvantage may be creativity could be stifled.

Free markets are by definition, free. There are no actual rules.

We as people have manners, conventions, ethics, beliefs, etc., etc... Markets do not.

Markets don't hang out with each other, they don't drive to work, they don't buy organic whole foods for their Ani Difranco wine parties.

Trade is the act of exchange between people in the context of markets. Trade is entered into voluntarily and requires unanimity of terms.

When trade occurs in the context of markets, people can witness trade between other people.

Good trades result in satisfied people. Satisfied people recommend good traders.

Bob's your uncle.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by RobFox

All business regulations are just a guise for state mandated cartels that stifle competition. In case you don't know what a cartel is, it is a group of businesses that come together and agree on prices to reduce competition. Most cartels fall apart as it seems one of the members always goes his own way. The only time it works is under a government system that uses violent force to enforce it through law.

Great examples of these would be the creation of the Federal Reserve and banking laws/regulations that were actually created by the bankers themselves.

Competition in a true free market ensures that cartels won't exist for too long. Their existence is only perpetuated because illusion of the social contract and government law. You can look into the history of any regulatory agency or law for any industry and find it's origin is actually created by the industries they are supposed to control. AKA Cartel
edit on 17-9-2013 by OrphanApology because: edit

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

Good morning, Greencmp!

Good post again.

I have a question for you:
Would you agree that the people (who are obviously making up the markets) still have to be held accountable for: theft, breach of contract, and fraud?

If so, would you further agree that the state (in its function to protect individuals from harm) would be the authority holding people accountable?

Just curious...

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Here you go Big!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join