It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists grow mini brains from stem cells

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
No matter your stance on Stem Cell Research this is HUGE news. I know there are a lot of people who have issues with Stem Cells no matter if for a religious or moral reasons but can't deny this research has great benefits for everyone. Just imagine a large number of diseases and ailments that are normally fatal could be cured or slowed by vesting in Stem Cells. So how do you feel ATS?? For or against this ground breaking research and development?

We've seen beating heart tissue, windpipes and bladders all grown from stem cells. Now researchers have taken another important step forward by growing mini brains from these programmable cells.
They're not actually functioning brains -- in the same way that a car with the engine on its roof or wheels on its hood isn't a drivable vehicle -- but the parts are there, and that's an important scientific advancement, according to Juergen Knoblich, senior author of a new study on using stem cells to grow brain tissue.

CNN

Can't help but think of the Family Guy episode where Peter has a stroke and gets Stem Cell treatment. So funny but also so true!!!

Discuss......

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
This is definitely an amazing advancement, I've always thought this research should be properly funded.
It has amazing possibilities! Good find!
Subscribe and +1 - I want to see what the others think!

~Sovereign

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
We continue to look for ways to keep the globalists alive as we pollute, contaminate and toxify the planet. How many animals deaths will it take to further this research? Animals closest to humans?

Oh well, I have always thought stem cell research was a wise decision but the way we have treated each other and our environment, I am not so sure any more.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Why do members post without staring or flagging the thread? If you are interested enough to post then why not acknowledge the OP?

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

My fear is that a stem cell market will need a base resource; namely aborted fetuses. Maybe that is why we see an over-sexualisation with pre-teens as they are mostly vulnerable to getting pregnant?...

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

Good point, but I think that was a fabricated side to all of this from the religious sects.

Stem cells can be taken from our own bodies once this technology is refined.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Nanotechnology meets stem cell research and development.

www.nanotech-now.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

I know, but when I look at how our "leaders" work... I can see them take the easy way out, and use the fetuses. We throw a bunch down the drain already. Why refine the technology when you have it all ready to be taken?...

I read there is close to 44 millions abortions worldwide annually...

And Pepsi contracted a company that use cells from aborted fetuses to enhance flavors...

Capitalism being what it is, we currently have no one responsible enough for us to go that way, sadly. That is using the stem cells.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

NowanKenubi
reply to post by antar

My fear is that a stem cell market will need a base resource; namely aborted fetuses. Maybe that is why we see an over-sexualisation with pre-teens as they are mostly vulnerable to getting pregnant?...

While some of the first phases focused on embryonic cells most of the recent research focuses and uses Induced Pluripotent Cells (IPS). These cells are harvested from adults skin no embryonic cells. With that said embryonic are still needed and used in the current research but I feel with proper funding and support scientists can puch past this barrier and rely more on IPS cells. I am not a doctor by no means this is just my .02 from reading about the subject. Maybe someone with a little more working knowledge can come in and correct or support my opinion.

IPS Cells

Embryonic Cells

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I hear they have a name for the brain, Abby Normal.
S and F

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I know, it is a sick world that we live in and when truly unconscious, unconscionable people have the authority to do despicable things it is simply unbelievable. Right now how many children are being born that have no chance for a good life? How many young mothers are being convinced to go ahead and have their child even though the truth of it is that after all of the support and help ends, after the bay is born, and they then become simply unfit mothers leaving the baby to a wicked and broken system. I am not saying that your concerns are unwarranted, because imho they are an important issue.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by GuidedKill

Thank you for that clarification.

OP... did we start this thread after the the other one on the board? Seems a duplicate thread is on the main board. If so you can copy and paste your posts to the other one and join that discussion.

Edit; Yes, ladytuatha started one back in August... how did we miss it? Lol, You can get a Mod to cancel this one and like I said copy and paste your posts (good imo) and carry on over on that thread.

edit on 17-9-2013 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   

antar

Thank you for that clarification.

OP... did we start this thread after the the other one on the board? Seems a duplicate thread is on the main board. If so you can copy and paste your posts to the other one and join that discussion.

Edit; Yes, ladytuatha started one back in August... how did we miss it? Lol, You can get a Mod to cancel this one and like I said copy and paste your posts (good imo) and carry on over on that thread.

edit on 17-9-2013 by antar because: (no reason given)

I think I missed like everyone else does.....Lack luster search function. I see the other thread and if a mod wants to swing into the original OP that's cool. Just curious to see ATS stance on Stem Cell Research.

edit on 17-9-2013 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Won't be long before somebody puts this tech into an A.I. System. I bet the computer possibility's are huge, as even modern computers cant process as fast as our brains, the speed of the human brain's neural pathways alone...
This will undoubtedly be used for Military - [guidance systems for 'Smart' bombs, Gyroscopic Stabilizers tuned closer to or beyond the human equilibrium allowing for a bipedal design 'Bot' to perform advanced acrobatic maneuvers like a gymnast, how about an A.I. System with a higher functioning visual reference & recognition program closer to the human brain, allowing 'it' to make faster more informed & directed decisions based on its immediate environment & a given scenario?]

Its the start of the technology that leads 'the human' race to 'merge' with technology as a species, taking the 'next step' in our evolution.

I think stem cell research is a major part of our species future & the development of this technology is going to come about in society regardless of what 'people' or 'religious' types say. Its a matter of perspective & necessity, if 'your child' could be cured by a type of stem cell treatment/therapy, then your 'perspective & necessity changes, does anybody really think that if The President of The United States could be effectively treated for whatever condition, that he or anybody would object let alone stop him from having the treatment?

To bad the 'Pharmaceutical' company's will put a strangle hold on some of this through patents or something...

edit on 17-9-2013 by SoulRelliK because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

SoulRelliK
...if 'your child' could be cured by a type of stem cell treatment/therapy, ...

But what percentage of the population will be allowed the "right" to it? People will really, literally become livestock... giving up their stem cells so the elite can remain far and above...

Sounds like the recent Matt Damon movie, no?...

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

As society stands now the number of people who could afford the benefit of stem cell science/treatment/therapy, would be [Is?] just that-= Only those who had enough money for the cost of treatment would get it, to all the others it would just be an un-reachable possibility.

As I had mentioned, I think the 'Science' of stem cells will be affected [if not eventually directed] by 'The Pharmaceutical Company's. Who would presumably have been brought in by the Military for 'Project Development'.-=[Hypothetical...?]

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SoulRelliK

There is no doubt that the elite or people with wealth would be the first to benefit from this tech. As new systems are introduced no matter a product or a procedure of course the first treatments and tools used will be very expensive. However like with any product or service as the technology improves and the cost go down it will eventually be with the price range of most people. Everything that is the new hotness is expensive but eventually prices subside and are available to the masses. Take flat screens TV's and other tech gadgets or even x-ray and MRI. They all started out high but cost lower as time goes on.

I think we all can agree it is an amazing development that hopefully all of earths humans can one day benefit from.

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

I get what your trying to say. But the fact remains that 'technology' has not gotten all that much cheaper, its not like the price of a vehicle has gone down in the last 20 years, if anything company's save more money by using new technology's & designs or 'going green' but still charging you the customer a significant fee for there product.

But were not talking about flat screen T.v.'s, or the new I-phone. This is a much more in 'consumer demand' 'product' = 'The Customers' [Your] health & well being & that of your loved ones. Were talking about the kind of Medical tech' that will make your 'bad knee' your 'good knee' or help with the treatment of a child's cancer. [if not cure it...] This technology is going to change the world as we know it, & don't think for a second that it means a brighter future for us all. Hardly, there's much more profit in 'keeping them coming back for more', Just as well they can poor more money into research & keep there 'real research objectives' going.

At least until they get a few 'Super Human Solders'.

top topics

join