It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Bombshell. NSA gives raw data to Israel. Shocked?.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
In a surprising to me twist on what I believed. The fantastic reporting the Guardian has done concerning the NSA has dropped a massive bombshell. The NSA is turning over raw data to Israel. They are not one of the Five Eyes partners.

"The National Security Agency routinely shares raw intelligence data with Israel without first sifting it to remove information about US citizens, a top-secret document provided to the Guardian by whistleblower Edward Snowden reveals.

Details of the intelligence-sharing agreement are laid out in a memorandum of understanding between the NSA and its Israeli counterpart that shows the US government handed over intercepted communications likely to contain phone calls and emails of American citizens. The agreement places no legally binding limits on the use of the data by the Israelis.

The disclosure that the NSA agreed to provide raw intelligence data to a foreign country contrasts with assurances from the Obama administration that there are rigorous safeguards to protect the privacy of US citizens caught in the dragnet. The intelligence community calls this process "minimization", but the memorandum makes clear that the information shared with the Israelis would be in its pre-minimized state."

www.theguardian.com...

I knew that there was a way the US was collecting the data but allowing another Country to sift through it. That allows the US a way to say "We are not spying on Americans".

From another article from Digital Journal.

"Former NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden has dropped another bombshell, revealing in a leak of top-secret US documents that the National Security Agency (NSA) has a secret deal with Israel in which that nation is granted access to raw intelligence data.
The Guardian, which received the classified documents from Snowden, reports the NSA routinely turns over Americans' phone and email communications to the Israelis without first filtering the intelligence to remove information about US citizens.
In a 'memorandum of understanding' between the NSA and its Israeli counterpart, details of the intelligence sharing agreement reveal that the US placed no legally binding limits on how the Israelis can use the data they receive. The agreement has been in effect since 2009.
The latest revelation from Snowden, who is currently living in Russia after being granted temporary asylum there last month, seems to contradict claims by President Barack Obama that there are robust safeguards in effect to ensure the privacy of US citizens whose communications are being spied on or, in this case, shared with allies.
The five-page memorandum does assert the need for Israeli authorities to respect the constitutional right of Americans to privacy, although there is no way of knowing whether or not the Israelis indeed respected those rights.
"This agreement is not intended to create any legally enforceable rights and shall not be construed to be either an international agreement or a legally binding instrument according to international law," the memorandum states.

Read more: www.digitaljournal.com...

I had suspected it was the GCHQ ( that was given the data) and it could well be. I am blindsided by the News about Israel. I suppose I should not have been. Wrabbit.. I almost said something about the long history of Israel spying in a massive way on the US. Now they just get the information handed to them.

edit on 16-9-2013 by GArnold because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
You know, I'm aware of the fact this is an exceptionally awkward matter for the United States. It's awkward now for entirely new and different reasons than it ever has been before though, and that's kinda the point here.

Anyone ever heard of Jonathan Pollard? Now he's been my favorite example to figuratively rake over the coals of debate when people suggest we don't do anything about Intelligence illegally leaked over to Israel.

At least .. Umm.. Guys? That USED to make sense to say. Now? Can someone remind me exactly why he's still in prison when the NSA is doing as much or far more than he ever did? He had to go...true..but umm.. So do some NSA people. Trading places in real life, perhaps?

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Who'd have thought it eh!

Our own governments spy on us.
They steal our emails.
They listen to our phone conversations.
They read our texts.
They share the info with foreign countries.

They must be rally frightened of us ordinary folk.

I wonder why?

Could it be that its we ordinary folk who still hold the power?
Are we deceived into thinking we are so helpless?
I think we are.
Just look at what happened when the bikers applied to ride into DC on 9/11
Bikers: We want a permit to ride please.
TPTB: Refused.
Bikers: We're coming anyway!
TPTB: er...ok then.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
The NSA doesn't have to give Israel anything. Israel controls most of the companies that the NSA gets their info from. So they have it before the NSA.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by GArnold

Yet... there are a few threads on ATS where a member wrote to the NSA trying to find out what information they've collected on them...

And the NSA politely told them to F off...

LMAO!

top topics

join