It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hunters trade shots over deer breeding, killing methods

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

TDawgRex
reply to post by HanzHenry

Go to any military base in the US and you would be amazed at how deer treat humans. They've been exposed to so many explosions, gunfire and vehicles/people patrolling through their territory that they just don't scare very well.

You could damn near walk up to them and stab them with a knife. I refuse to hunt on a military base just for that reason. It's to easy and the deer basically have no chance.

Funny you say that because I used to hunt a few local bases and still have never harvested a deer from any of them. Not that there aren't deer there just that they are more elusive. Probably due to some of the reasons you named above. Who really knows why that is, but like I mentioned before I have hunted with great success pretty much all over North America and cannot seem to get one on a military base.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I'm sure there are more people in our boat then you think. However like you said most do what they can and that usually involves a big box grocery store.

One positive way I look at it is, if SHTF ever does happen I have all the skills needed to feed my self and family off what mother nature provides. I can honestly say I am probably the minority when it comes to that but I will be just fine with out Wal-Mart, whole foods, etc. Can most people say the same??

If you really want to be a prepper or survive a economic collapse of some sort you better get with my game plan. Because I can promise you one thing, everyone will be out for themselves and NO GOVERNMENT or anyone else for the matter will be coming to feed you.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by GuidedKill

Go to Ft. McCoy in Wisconsin. Every time I go there (when visiting family) I will always see a large herd on one of the three parade fields, sometimes all three. Ft. Knox was pretty much the same.

I didn't see a whole lot of deer while at Bragg though the ones I did see were all pretty small. And now that I think of it, I can't remember ever seeing deer at Lewis. Though I did see them out in the National Parks often.

McCoy and Knox just sticks out in my memory as having a lot of fearless deer. There was a albino buck I used to see often at McCoy. That was cool. I'm sure that he grew old and happy as it is/was illegal to shoot a albino. I wouldn't want to anyway just for the fact that he was majestic.

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

There is no doubt that most animals including deer can be conditioned (not trained) to deal with humans as well as interact with them. However gun shots and explosions at a military complex is not the way to do this. I had a fawn when I was a kid that grew into the most awesome buck puppy ever. I found him near a water well after his mother died from blue tounge. Bottle raised him until he eventually became a strapping young buck. I called him a buck puppy cause when he grew up he would follow me around and let me pet him like a dog. We would spend hours sitting under the oak tree at my grandfathers house just watching the day go by. I loved that buck like I love my dog. Even though he knew me and we hung out everyday still some neighbor shooting in their back yard or even my grandfather slamming the screen door would cause him to jump up and run to the edge of the woods. After a few minutes he would see that everything was OK and come right back and lay down beside where I was sitting. He hung around for about four years and one season when rut hit he just took off. I like to imagine he found him a good looking doe and started a little family but who knows.

edit on 19-9-2013 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-9-2013 by GuidedKill because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Depends on the base, type of deer, and type of training. Say airforce academy, like you say, tame dumb as a box oh rocks mule deer, now go to Fort Polk, or hood, and others and you will find much harder hunting and very smart, skiddish white tail deer. You may never see that big buck you seen the tracks for. Funny how that works.

For the non hunter, the wild meat is much better for you, can provide you with meat for the whole year and hunting is also necessary because we have removed all the predators that used to keep the herds strong. They have to be managed, especially without predation.

The Bot

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join