It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yellow Jacket Genocide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I just got home from vacation a couple days ago and found two new yellow jacket hives in the rafters of my front porch just above the front door (dangerous place for hives in my opinion). I do not know too much about these insects other than what I have been told...do not kill just one in the presence of the others because they will attack you, they can sting you more than just one time, and if you spray them to kill the whole hive to do it at night when they are less active...

The thing about them being less active in the evening did not apply to my two hives. So I decided to wait and see about the next afternoon. No, they were still buzzing around, so I set my alarm and got up this morning early and checked out the situation and lo and behold not only were they not flying around they were all home in both hives and inactive...

I got my wasp spray and let her rip...It was quite the spectacle to watch all those yellow jackets rain down onto my welcome mat. I then quickly shut the door and now here I sit, I feel icky, and guilty. It occurs to me that on a very, very small scale I just committed genocide, death by chemical warfare...For the life of me I can not wrap my head or heart around how some folks can just kill others with such careless abandon...

Anyways...just sitting here alone with my coffee & thoughts...BTW...was there any other alternative to get rid of the yellow jackets, I did read that they are good for getting rid of other types of unwanted pests, should I have done something else?

Yellow jacket is the common name in North America for predatory wasps of the genera Vespula and Dolichovespula. Members of these genera are known simply as "wasps" in other English-speaking countries. Most of these are black and yellow; some are black and white like the bald-faced hornet, Dolichovespula maculata. Others may have the abdomen background color red instead of black. They can be identified by their distinctive markings, their occurrence only in colonies, and a characteristic, rapid, side to side flight pattern prior to landing. All females are capable of stinging. Despite having drawn the loathing of humans, yellow jackets are in fact important predators of pest insects.

yellow jackets

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
If I ever get a hive in my garden I wait until late evening then put a bag around it, I then take it to the woodland over the back of my house and try and put it somewhere high up.

Note: Dont remove the bag until you have a good clean run to your car.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Briles1207

I will try that next time...good idea...should I knock down the empty hives in case others return?

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Yellow jackets are pesky like flies, and they are not aggressive unless provoked. When one comes buzzing around, usually slowly moving out of its away, or just standing still and letting it sniff you (like a dog), it will be on its way.

If you're carrying something with a strong sweet smell like a soda, or some kind of fruit like a peach, then that's what it's looking for. If you don't have anything sweet-smelling on you, then it's just checking you out and will be on its way.

As far as removal, I would've did the same thing. We don't like anything encroaching on our domains. If their hives were at a different part of the house where they couldn't easily get inside, then I might let them stay, but right above the front door? Cya! lol

And yes, get rid of the old hives asap before you have new house guests move in.

edit on 13-9-2013 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by shells4u

Yeah I would remove it. Or depending on its size and shape, clean it out and make it into an ornament ;-)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
At least you have compassion for the death of the bees. But you must also remember, you could be allergic or a guest of yours might be allergic and if they get stung, you’re going to have a bigger problem on your hands. I don’t like killing critters ether but sometime you just have to do it for the safety of your own and property.
edit on 13-9-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
At a picnic or outdoor eating I give them an offering of food.

I set a bit down a little way away from where I am sitting. Typically they will move toward the low hanging fruit as it were and leave me alone.

But if they are becoming a threat because they are too close with a nest then I spray with water. If they are not discouraged I kill them without trying to kill any other insects especially bees.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

By using this chemical agent you've gone and made yourself the target of this Administration. They're frustrated and feel the need to hit something. I'm sure the UN inspectors will be around soon. Give Putin a call, he might have your back. LOL

But on a slightly more serious note, don't worry. They'll make more.

I don't mind them doing their thing, as long as it is not on my property. I've been stung way to many times by the ill-tempered little brutes. If I see a nest on my property, I'm gassing them. I'll burn them out if they have a in ground nest.
edit on 13-9-2013 by TDawgRex because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
There is a way to eliminate these pests without chemicals.I learned this when I worked at the local zoo.The exterminator we used was not able to use chemicals near the animals.He used diatamatious earth.Known as DE,this is usually used for pool filtration and is composed of the silica skeletons of diatoms.He put it into a labratory squirt bottle and squirted it into the nest.The diatom skeletons are very sharp,and when the wasps get it on them it lacerates their exoskeleton and causes dehydration.

It works particularly well on ground hornets.When using it be sure to wear a dust mask.It works very well and is very inexpensive.I have used it often as I am very allergic to wasp stings.A good friend of mine uses it under his deck every year as the wasps build there.He treats twice a summer and has no more problems with them.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I'm glad you feel bad about what you had to do. I have had to do that when they build their nest in the wrong spot. If you slam a door, they can get wound up and attack. Sometimes they have to go. There must be a way of disuading them from building in the wrong place. I haven't ran across it anywhere though. I usually just hope they do not build where I have to get rid of them.

I chased away a queen bee that was trying to find a place to build a nest on the front porch this spring. I don't like to hurt bees but would rather have them build a nest where I don't have to destroy it later. I swatted at the bee with a soft broom bristles and hit it, it came and hovered in front of my face as to say "what did you do that for" I told it it couldn't build a nest here, go find somewhere else. I tapped it with the soft bristles of the broom and it left. I suppose it told all it's young about me hitting it
I haven't been bothered by anything other than mosquitoes this year yet though.

If you have a good reason it is all right to kill them. Just don't be killing off wasps that are of no threat to you. They protect the plants from bugs.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

I was just reading about DE the other day, but using it on wasps never occurred to my fuzzy brain. It's fuzzy from mold since I don't seem to use it much anymore, not lack off sleep. LOL

But I do recollect that the article said that it can actually be beneficial to humans when ingested in small quantities.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I have a spot on my soffit that they seem to love, a few blasts from a pressure washer with 409 always seems to do the trick.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I can see that I am not the only crazy here who talks to bugs. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

"Go on! Git outta Here!" LOL *Waves arms wildly*

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I like living in the woods, I can talk to the bugs and animals without people knowing that I am nuts.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

By using this chemical agent you've gone and made yourself the target of this Administration. They're frustrated and feel the need to hit something. I'm sure the UN inspectors will be around soon. Give Putin a call, he might have your back. LOL
reply to post by TDawgRex

EXACTLY!!! LMFAO...hahahaha

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I welcome all the Wasps, hornets and bees in my yard. As Ricky said, they eat the harmful bugs in your garden. The ones that don't help flowers pollinate and can be very beneficial if you have a garden. They've kept my tobacco plants pest free for the most part, until about a few weeks ago which also happens to be about the last time I saw a wasp or a hornet. I welcome them back with open arms, those red aphids are horrible!

I tell my kids that they won't bother you if you don't bother them first. "You're bigger than they are, they're just scared or curious, leave them bee." Hehe.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

Thanks so much for that info...I too have problems under my deck, and was wondering how to attack that very thing next...off to the hardware store...This is one of the many reasons I love ATS and all its members for...have a great week-end!!!

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I just wanted to post a friendly reminder that pool grade diatamaceous earth is not the same as food grade diatamaceous earth. Someone said something earlier about hearing that it is good to ingest so I thought I should mention that there is a difference between the two.

edit on 13-9-2013 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

top topics

join