It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Syria you don't know...awesome pics.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
ATS community....

I bring to you some visual appreciation of a country who's history is very old yet becoming very modernized. For a few minutes, let's let go of the regional issues and enjoy some pictures of a really cool secular country where Muslims and Christians have lived side by side with tolerance for many centuries. Hope you all enjoy.

m.authorstream.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
its just such a shame that everyone seems determined to destroy that beautiful country one way or another

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Normal people like anywhere else. The kind of pictures you will never see on the MSM. They always show the roughest looking parts with bullet holes and rubble in an attempt to brainwash the public into thinking "oh it's just another one of those sandy countries full of brown savages, who cares" "here look at my new iphone"

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
This is a lie!!

The real Syria has burning cars on the road, protest and beheading on a daily day like Fox news shows us!

I refuse to believe this! *sarcastic emote*

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

I'm sure pictures of the countryside of Germany during the Nazi rule were very pretty as well. What does it have to do with anything?

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Great Pictures, thanks for finding this and posting. It reminds me of some of the videos, and pictures you can find about the real Iran. I think the good in posting things like this is to show, that a majority of the people are not the marauding killers, or whatever that we are fed by the US Government.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

luciddream
This is a lie!!

The real Syria has burning cars on the road, protest and beheading on a daily day like Fox news shows us!

In fact you are quite close to the truth. Syria has been a brutally repressive police state for several decades. Nice place to live if you are on the right side of the equation. Not so nice if you (er) lived in Hama, or had the misfortune to have a face that did not fit.

Hitler's Germany was quite photogenic.

Regards

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Looking at this pictures make me feel sad. If Al Qaeda were to take over Syria it will become another Afghanistan.

reply to post by jjkenobi

You should look at the pictures of Afghanistan before the Taliban took over.

In the link you will see Afghanistan in the 1960s

blogs.denverpost.com...

If Al Qaeda were to takeover Syria all the sights you see in the picture will be gone

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

paraphi

luciddream
This is a lie!!

In fact you are quite close to the truth. Syria has been a brutally repressive police state for several decades. Nice place to live if you are on the right side of the equation. Not so nice if you (er) lived in Hama, or had the misfortune to have a face that did not fit.

Regards

It was repressive under Hafaz Assad I agree...The current president Bashar Assad has made Syria much more progressive and less repressive...if he was a brutal dictator the people would have had him removed a long time ago and his military would be very unstable.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Just like the real Iran, beautiful.

Remind me again why the country responsible for hundreds of thousands, possibly millions of deaths by using WMD's on civilians wants to destroy these beautiful places?

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

jjkenobi

I'm sure pictures of the countryside of Germany during the Nazi rule were very pretty as well. What does it have to do with anything?

Comparing Syria with Nazi Germany. Good job.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Thanks for the thread solarstorm.

A friend of mine travelled to Syria in 2010. He's been there for almost a month and for him it was a very special experience, he told me.

We used to makes jokes when he admitted to me that he got bored after three weeks visiting old ruins...

Today there is nothing funny about it anymore.

Syria is an amazing country with a rich cultural heritage, there's a reason it is often referred to as the cradle of civilisation.

This is a photo essay from foreignpolicy.com.com called: "Once Upon a Time in Damascus".

The caption under the first picture cites Mark Twain - "No recorded event has occurred in the world but Damascus was in existence to receive the news of it. She has looked upon the dry bones of a thousand empires, and will see the tombs of a thousand more before she dies."

Khan al-Hariri district in Aleppo city January 12, 2013.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Lovely looking place.. If peeps do not stop the hostilities to Syria its going to look like this instead.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

solarstorm

paraphi

luciddream
This is a lie!!

Regards

It was repressive under Hafaz Assad I agree...The current president Bashar Assad has made Syria much more progressive and less repressive...if he was a brutal dictator the people would have had him removed a long time ago and his military would be very unstable.

Have you seen the incomplete list of defectors?

en.wikipedia.org...

This list is incomplete; you can help by expanding it.
Mohammad Bassam Imadi, Former Ambassador to Sweden - 2011
Abdul Razzaq Tlass, Former Syrian military officer, and currently one of the Free Syrian Army commanders - June 2011
Riad al-Asaad, former Colonel in the Syrian Air Force,[2] and current commander of the Free Syrian Army,[3] July 2011
Mustafa Al-Sheikh, former General in the Syrian Army, and current head of the Free Syrian Army - 6 January 2012[4][5]
Imad Ghalioun, parliamentarian for Homs - January 2012 (to Egypt)[6]
Firas Tlass, son of Mustafa Tlass, the former defence minister under Hafez al Assad - 12 March 2012 (to Paris)[7]
Abdo Hussameddin, Deputy Oil Minister - 7 March 2012
Hassan Hamada, Syrian Air Force Colonel - 2012 (to Jordan)
Manaf Tlass, Brigadier General of the Syrian Republican Guard - 2012 (to Turkey, later Paris)
Nawaf al-Fares, Ambassador to Iraq - 2012 (In Iraq, later moved to Qatar)[8]
Adnan Silu, Major General and former head of Syria's chemical weapons program - July 2012 defected to the opposition.[9]
Abdelatif al-Dabbagh, Ambassador to the UAE, July 2012 (to Qatar)[10]
Lamia al-Hariri, niece of Syrian vice president Farouk al-Sharaa, Envoy to Cyprus, - July 2012 (to Qatar)[11]
Mohammad Tahseen Faqir, military attaché at the Syrian embassy in Oman - July 2012[12]
Ikhlas al-Badawi, Aleppo MP, a Baathists and an Assad loyalist, defects to Turkey with her six children - July 2012, (to Turkey)[13][14]
Farouk Taha, Ambassador to Belarus. Fled Belarus in the spring, but did not publicize his defection before late July.[15]
Khaled al-Ayoubi, Chargé d'affaires at the embassy to the United Kingdom and most senior diplomat in the country after higher officials were expelled. - July 2012.[16]
Mohammad Hussam Hafez, Consul at the Syrian embassy in Yerevan, Armenia - July 2012.[17]
General Muhammed Faris, a military aviator who became the first Syrian in space, defects to Turkey.[18]
Riyad Farid Hijab - Syrian Prime minister, August 2012.[19]
Mohammad al Jililati - Finance Minister, reported to have been arrested while trying to defect.[20] Denied by the Syrian state TV, which said Mr Jililati was still in his office working as usual, and it broadcast what it said was a phone interview with him denying reports that he had been detained.
Danny al-Baaj - Syria’s representative at the United Nations Human Rights Council, defects to Geneva, 11 July 2012[21][22]
Brigadier General Ibrahim al-Jabawi - deputy police commander for the central Syrian province of Homs, 12 July 2012 (to Jordan)[23]
Salim Idris - was a general in the Syrian Army when he defected in July 2012 [1][2]. Now servves as the current Chief of Staff of the Free Syrian Army.
Yaroub al-Shara - cousin of Syrian Vice President Farouk al-Shara.[24]
Naser al-Hariri - Former member of the People's Council of Syria from Daraa, 23 August 2012 (to Jordan)[25]
Mohamed Moussa al-Khairat - Commander of the seventh division within the Syrian Army, 25 August 2012 (to Jordan) [3] [4]
Muhammad Khayr al-Hariri - Former Syrian MP and tribal chief of the southern Daraa region, 27 August (to Jordan) [5]
Abdullah Al-Omar - Director of several Pro-regime Syrian Channels, September 2012 [6] [7].
Mohammad Fares - a Syrian Pilot [8].
Awad Ahmed al-Ali - head of the security branch in Damascus, September 2012 (to Turkey) [9] [10]
Emad al-Ahmar - Syrian Consul in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 8 September 2012 (to Egypt) [11] [12].
Mahmoud Obeid - Syrian diplomatic attaché in Malaysia, 8 September 2012 (to Egypt) [13] [14].
Bashar al-Haj - Syrian diplomatic attaché in Serbia, September 2012 (?) [15] [16].
Youssef Assad - Syrian Air Force officer and a family relative of President Bashar Assad [17].
Khaled Abdul Rahman al Zamel - a Syrian Colonel who initially defected to join the opposition forces, and in late September 2012 called on to abandon the insurgency against President Bashar al-Assad (accompanied by around 10 other former rebels) [18].
Jihad Makdissi - Syrian Forgein Ministry's spokesman, 2 December 2012 (to UK) [19] [20].
Adnan Salo - former head of the chemical weapons unit in the Syrian army [21], 9 December 2012
Major General Abdulaziz al-Shalal - commander of Syria's military police, 25 December 2012 [22] [23].
Kamal Jamal Beyk - Former director of programming at the official SANA radio and the SANA online news website in Damascus, 28 December 2012 (to Paris)[24].
Lama Al-Khadra - Former state-run radio station Radio Damascus Journalist, 28 December 2012 (to Paris) [25]
Baddour Abdel Karim - Former state-run radio station Radio Damascus Journalist, 28 December 2012 (to Paris) [26]
Brig. Gen Mohammed Nour Ezzedeen Khallouf - chief of supplies and logistics of Syrian Armed Forces, March 2013 [27].

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
So sad to see these pictures knowing in all likelihood I'll never get a chance to go there and see those places for myself, unless I join the ARMY, but I'm a little too old for that now. The Middle East is the cradle of civilization, filled with history, so much of which has sadly been destroyed. Makes me think of the the ancient library in Alexandria that was burned down by Caesar. So much knowledge was lost that can never be regained. I feel we're doing the same thing again, erasing the history of our civilizations.

reply to post by talklikeapirat

The caption under the first picture cites Mark Twain - "No recorded event has occurred in the world but Damascus was in existence to receive the news of it. She has looked upon the dry bones of a thousand empires, and will see the tombs of a thousand more before she dies."

Thanks for this. How amazing would it have been to wander the streets of Damascus with Twain.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Excellent and Visually Educational Thread !
The more "People" that understand their fellowman,women, and children
spinning on this blue planet the better .

Have you read about Malala?

www.huffingtonpost.com...

There is a great truth to being in the right place at the right time, but it also requires initiative
and self motivation. This young gal is exceptional.

S&F to your thread! Thanks for the Positive Point of View. Thumbs Up! W

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by RedBeardRay

I would like you to consider that the crap you are being force fed
has less to do with the U.S. Government and more to do with Private
Industry and Foreign Interests.

Unfortunately, The U.S. Government is so beholden to these
"Oddly Perverted and Selfish" Interests , it "Appears" that "Washington"
is behind it all.

When in fact, "Washington" is being played as the fall guy.

If you don't believe me, just check out who is hanging around "The Lobby".

S&F to you for getting me to type again.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Palestine in the year, 1896

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Syria is a beauty....get out of Damascus, quickly....
Find a way....Refuse to be a victim of this world.

edit on 16-9-2013 by GBP/JPY because: Yahuweh...the coolest of names, I swear

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

I was hard core against any action against Syria until I saw this pic.

Now I'm thinking maybe just one little bomb couldn't hurt too much, just to wipe that abomination off the face of the Earth.

JK but, damn that's one freaky looking building.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join