It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet Prince Rupert’s Drop. It’s about to blow your mind

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+47 more 
posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Hi peeps...

Came across this video yesterday as I was intrigued as to what a Prince Rupert's Drop was. I have never heard of it before. And the video is very cool - definitely a must watch...!

Enjoy...

Stop what you’re doing and watch this. No, really. Clear your schedule for the next seven minutes and have a seat. This here’s the story of Prince Rupert’s Drop – and if you’re into physics, high-speed video, explosions, or the feeling of your jaw falling open in an involuntary expression of sheer wonderment, it’s a story you definitely need to hear.

www.trueactivist.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

That was elite.

I'm with the full face mask guy though, I'd hate to have those tiny shards fly at my nose.

Thanks for sharing the video.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Best 6 mins of the day.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Very pretty colours and also informative!

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Cool video.

But the guy doing the video....he's good at what he's doing. Interesting guy.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
At 100k it's amazing. Celestial. Like a mini Big Bang.

Thanks a lot for that.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Those shots of the energy pulse travelling down to the end are just awesome.

The way the guy explained it using the diagrams of the little blokes was ingenious too.

That's some seriously good eye and brain candy.

S&F

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I couldn't more highly recommend other videos by this guy. He goes by as Smarter every day on YT. Top quality science content and most of it explained so that even a doofus like me can understand the basics of it.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Have to admit that I was highly skeptical of what this would bring but damn I was very surprised and yes I think my jaw did drop at one point. Nice video!

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
... Mind Blown...

Thanks for posting. Love to learn something new everyday.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

sweet now I Got something to talk to my girlfriends dad about instead of conspiracy, he is a glass blower.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Prince Rupert droppin it like it's hot since 1625.

Literally.

Excellent post I enjoyed the video. cool stuff.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
That was fascinating! I can't wait to show it to my ten year old...the whole series really. Thanks for sharing!

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

This will be weaponized in 5, 4, 3, .......

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

DocHolidaze

sweet now I Got something to talk to my girlfriends dad about instead of conspiracy, he is a glass blower.

See, that screws everything up.

When someone stands in front of the TV during a ballgame, the patent line is, "MOVE! Your daddy wasn't a glass blower!!!"

Your GF invalidates that argument totally for you. My condolences.
edit on 12-9-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

I waited all day to watch this when I got home and it was well worth it. Very cool! Imagine all the little things that had to happen for someone to discover this!

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Thanks for that. It was one of the more incredible things I have ever seen. I especially liked the scientific explanation at the end.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

S N F Fluff, Wow Just Wow! That is one of the most interesting Vids I've ever seen here on ATS. Gotta Love This Stuff and this guy just makes understanding this Sooooo Easy. I'm sending this round to everyone I know and with an invite to Join ATS, because this is where you'll come across this Strange and Wonderful Stuff.

Peace
Arjunanda

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
This is definitely very cool! I've dabbled in lampworking (glassblowing) in the past but I've never seen or heard of this.

I wonder what could be done with these things. They break when the tail is broken. I'm thinking you could run a torch over the tail to relieve some of the stress, so that the overall object is less fragile. But then again I've had glass rod blow up on me when I put it under the torch, so maybe any significant heat applied to the tail would cause it to explode as well.

Hmm, now I'm thinking of chemically hardened glass. For those that don't know, it's basically a way to temper glass using chemicals instead of the heating and rapid cooling method normally employed. I think they use.... phosphorus or potassium or something that does something to the molecular structure just like rapid cooling does. I'm curious if it would be possible to chemically harden the tail to increase it's overall strength.

Couldn't you also make one of these without a tail? I'm thinking of a water bath, with a nozzle on the bottom of the tank that quickly spurts out a glob of glass. I'd assume it would cool in the same way as the prince rupert's drop's ball section, without having the fragile tail

I also wonder how strong the ball part actually is. They say "you can't break it with a hammer" but it's impossible for it to just be totally indestructible. Although I guess I'm looking at it the wrong way, the cool factor is that it explodes, not really that the ball part is so tough, since we already understand and produce tempered glass that utilizes the exact same stress concepts as the Prince Rupert's drop.

Once again very cool, thanks for sharing OP, S&F!

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   

I enjoyed the video a lot, it was interesting. I love these kinds of videos. Thank you for posting it. ~$heopleNation

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join