It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magic Can't Be Revealed.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by FlowThruSpace

There are a lot of skeptics on this board ,as you would expect. After all, strong individuals do question what they see or hear. However, any consideration of magic requires an individual to go even further and to question the very fabric of the universe or the very ground that he or she is standing on.

When I read the Golden Bough some 20 years ago, I totally disagreed with J Frazer who argued that magic does not exist and , if it does, it is mere science .

In fact Science steals magical notions and packages them as a 'scientific' concepts rather than vice-versa.

Every person on the planet has the power to release themselves from the shakles of the so-called reality. The only thing that stops them is their mind which is limited by experience and poor ability to extrapolate.

The mind is powerful ; more powerful than a computer but on its own it acts as an obstacle rather than a vessel. A well known magical motto states : "To know, to will, to dare and be silent". The first one is the key and also where most fail.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Human beings do not have extrasensory perception. People cannot bend spoons and forks with their minds. There is no telepathy, no telekinesis and no pyrokinesis. Human beings do not have psychic powers of any kind. People cannot astrally project themselves and out-of-body experiences are hallucinations. People and objects do not have mystical auras. Human beings do not have clairaudience, clairvoyance, dermo-optical perception, xenoglossy, vinyl vision, precognition, psi powers, psychokinesis, remote viewing powers, retrocognition, second sight, a sixth sense or teleportation.

Human beings cannot talk to the dead. Seances and scrying are fake. Ouija boards are fake. Channeling is a trick. Automatic and trance writing is a hoax. Papyromancy is a joke. Tarot cards and cartomancy are fake as is any type of fortune telling, whether it be from tea leaves, runes, pig entrails or any other source. Electronic voice phenomenon is not a sign of otherworldly visitors. Geomancy is bunk. People cannot levitate. Magick is not real and people cannot manifest. The Marfa lights are not aliens or ghosts or swamp gas or radioactivity or ball lightning. There are no real mediums, mentalists, oracles, victim souls, prophets, psychics, psychic detectives, pet psychics or psychic photographers. Nostradamus was a fraud. The occult is not real. Past life regression is fake. Psychometry is false. Reverse speech is false.

Well said Arouet MU. There's no evidence anything paranormal exists. We are all going to die and there is no spirit world. I came to realise that it's mostly unhappy people who believe in the paranormal, they crave the unseen because they are not happy with the material universe or their boring mundane lives. We just have to accept reality, there is no paranormal. Love life as it is, let's not invent fairytales they belong in fiction and comic book only.

edit on 12-12-2013 by TylerSnotgern because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

It would not matter how much is revealed; 99% of society would not be capable of using it. Hence , no threat to the fabric of society.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by eveshiskeptic

It's all fraud or explained by psychology. There is no magic. Everything has a naturalistic explanation. It is impossible to communicate with the dead. Psychic powers are impossible. Nature does not deal with magic. Magic is illusionary as honest magicians will reveal. Professional magicians can replicate by natural means all mediumship and psychic phenomena. If you know sleight of hand tricks, deception and suggestion then you know the secrets of psychics. I suggest the book The Psychology of Paranormal Beliefs by the psychologist David Marks or Deception and self-deception: Investigating Psychics by skeptic Richard Wiseman. Have fun reading, friend!

Here is a thought for you...Imagine that in 30 years we will develop a simulation when you`ll be able to put a cyber-helm on your head and transfer your mind into game-simulation reality. Now you`ll know it`s a game but everything will seem real in that simulation. Perhaps you will be even put there for a test for a longer time to experience alternate reality, maybe even memory erased so that the feeling would be real. Then if you would die there, you would be brought back to as we now call realty and could talk about it to the others who died there in this simulation.

Now imagine that we are already in simulation and if you die, you wake up in a life support preservation chamber=) and you can talk about everything that you experienced here with others who already woke up.

Then if this is a simulation, there might be hack so that people still in the simulation can talk with the people who are already awake. There are also hacks that would define the natural laws of the simulation, just like in every game created till now...

Just an alternative view of it...might not be real, yet still you can`t prove it that it`s not...just the way it is

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   
As we are lumping the term 'magic' to embrace quite alot of concepts here, I would actually disagree with the original post, most people I've met in my life generally have that one 'weird' unexplained event that puts them on the fence, some have more.

There is a funny story about the military remote viewers who shocked themselves so much they all had to go out for 8 martinis because they were so freaked, but there are also quantum mechanics that have the same issue!

The more we open ourselves to the idea in our beliefs the more magic we can see.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
It's no different if you change a visual magician such as Blane for a mentalist such as Derren Brown.The VERY often used claim (one that's been repeated by stage magicians et al for hundreds of years) who call for a volunteer from the audience. "Hello,and what is your name,we've never met before have we?" Brown was recently outed when he claimed to have put a guy in a photo booth in London to sleep who then only woke up after they transported the photo booth to Morocco.The photo-booth guy was of course an actor being payed by Brown.Without their stooges,their would be no stage magic or mind reading.

Now if we talk about David Copperfield,he really DID make the Statue of Liberty disappear didn't he? (LOL)
edit on 12-12-2013 by Imagewerx because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

FlowThruSpace
The impact of such powers would be too much for society to handle.

But that's only part of the reason why "magic" can't be revealed. The other part of the reason has to do with the nature of science and with the unconscious mind.

Despite the fact that parapsychology is taboo, there have been some interesting effects discovered despite the dogmatic assertions of pseudo-skeptics. The sheep-goat effect will prevent "magic" from being revealed, even as it shows that everyone is psychic.

Most psychic ability goes on below the threshold of conscious awareness. We use it and we don't even know it. "Sheep" (believers in psi) use it to validate their belief in it. "Goats" (skeptics) use it, unconsciously, ironically, to validate their disbelief.

I just found out that a parapsychologist colleague of mine, Gertrude Schmeidler, died last month (1912-2009). I say colleague rather than friend, for while we were friendly there was a great age range difference so we never got to know each other well.

Gertrude made one of the most important discoveries ever in parapsychology, one with strong spiritual implications and one which I think none of the spiritual traditions knows about, for while it’s something that can happen in everyday life, it’s pretty much unobservable except under laboratory conditions. She gave many classes of students ESP tests, guessing at concealed cards, but, before giving or scoring the tests, she had students fill out questionnaires that asked, among other things, whether they believed in ESP.

When she analyzed the results separately for the believers – the “sheep” – and the non-believers – the “goats” – she found a small, but significant difference. The sheep got more right than you would expect by chance guessing, they were occasionally using ESP. The goats, on the other hand, got significantly fewer right than you would expect by chance.

Think of it this way. If you were asked to guess red or black with ordinary playing cards, no feedback until you’d done the whole deck, you would average about 50% correct by chance. If you got 100% correct, you don’t need statistics to know that would be astounding. But if you got 0%? Just as astounding!

The sheep thought they could do it, they got “good” scores, they were happy. The goats knew there was no ESP, nothing to get, they got poor scores, they were happy, that “proved” their belief. These were not people who were sophisticated enough about statistics to know that scoring below chance could be significant….

Many other experimenters replicated this effect over the years.

The only way I’ve ever been able to understand it is to think that the goats occasionally used ESP, but on an unconscious level, to know what the next card was and then their unconscious, acting in the service of their conscious belief system, influenced them to call anything but the correct one. The goats used a “miracle” to support their belief that there were no such things as miracles….

Talk about living in samsara, in a state of illusion!

Our human knowledge is richer for Gertrude’s work. She had been retired for some years and died peacefully in her sleep on March 9th.

blog.paradigm-sys.com...

When humanity matures enough to outgrow 'goats', then we will be able to handle our own psychic ability.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

If you have an american dollar bill in your pocket look at it.

Now tell me that literally hasnt molded and shaped reality around you.

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I used to agree, but more research will reveal that the key of real magic or spiritual control is blood, be it human or animal, there is some connection to it, I think the real magicians or sorcerers know this and the link to spirits and what we might call demons, blood sacrifice is at the heart of real magic and essential in employing it's powers and applications, most cults, secret societies or those that know how to use it keep this as one of their most guarded secrets.

I am not saying that magic exists and cannot prove or disprove it but there is some linkage to unexplained phenomena that transcend our human comprehension or understanding of time, space and dimensions.

Is the name of this lack of understanding really what we label Magic ?
edit on 12-12-2013 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Arouet
Human beings do not have extrasensory perception. People cannot bend spoons and forks with their minds. There is no telepathy, no telekinesis and no pyrokinesis. Human beings do not have psychic powers of any kind. People cannot astrally project themselves and out-of-body experiences are hallucinations. People and........

...........psychic surgery, psychoanalysis, reflexology, reiki, rolfing, shark cartilage, coral calcium, therapeutic touch, thought field therapy, transcendental meditation and trepanation are all bunk.

Arouet

You forgot stigmata which can't possibly be real?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join