It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New details: 'Very disturbing' use of force by TPD prompts concerns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Wow,

Yes, she was drunk but really?

www.tallahassee.com...

Tallahassee City Commissioner Scott Maddox says the city could be facing a "substantial" lawsuit involving a 44-year-old woman who was subjected to use of force by police officers during a DUI-related arrest.

The incident happened in the early morning of Aug. 10, when Tallahassee police officers responded to a woman who reportedly drove her car off the road and into a home in Killearn. The woman, Christina West, was arrested on a charge of DUI and several counts of battery on a law-enforcement officer.

At least six Tallahassee police officers responded to the scene, and two of them can be seen on a police-car video trying to handcuff her. The woman, who is 5 foot 6 and 130 pounds, was slammed into the police car and then the pavement. She can be heard screaming in pain as she is being restrained.

State Attorney Willie Meggs, who has reviewed the video, said he was shocked by the way officers acted at the scene.

“I am extremely upset,” he said in an interview with the Tallahassee Democrat. “It is very disturbing. This is a very disturbing situation to me, and I’m dealing with it.”

Meggs will not prosecute West for battery or assault on an officer. A DUI charge remains open for now, he said.

www.wctv.tv...

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

infolurker
Wow,

Yes, she was drunk but really?

www.tallahassee.com...

Tallahassee City Commissioner Scott Maddox says the city could be facing a "substantial" lawsuit involving a 44-year-old woman who was subjected to use of force by police officers during a DUI-related arrest.

The incident happened in the early morning of Aug. 10, when Tallahassee police officers responded to a woman who reportedly drove her car off the road and into a home in Killearn. The woman, Christina West, was arrested on a charge of DUI and several counts of battery on a law-enforcement officer.

At least six Tallahassee police officers responded to the scene, and two of them can be seen on a police-car video trying to handcuff her. The woman, who is 5 foot 6 and 130 pounds, was slammed into the police car and then the pavement. She can be heard screaming in pain as she is being restrained.

State Attorney Willie Meggs, who has reviewed the video, said he was shocked by the way officers acted at the scene.

“I am extremely upset,” he said in an interview with the Tallahassee Democrat. “It is very disturbing. This is a very disturbing situation to me, and I’m dealing with it.”

Meggs will not prosecute West for battery or assault on an officer. A DUI charge remains open for now, he said.

www.wctv.tv...

Bunch of losers that should be interned themselves. Really getting tired of seeing this obvious reckless and brutal use of authority. They will be getting theirs very soon!

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The State Attorney was "shocked" by the officers' behavior? Is that supposed to be funny? Where has this guy been? Cops COMMONLY and GROSSLY abuse their power, OFTEN gang-beating women, the fragile, the elderly, the unarmed, the mentally challenged, etc. Whoever doesn't "respect the badge". They're in another category completely from the ordinary citizen. A category which entitles them to whip ass indiscriminately and without consequence. Only the citizenry can stop it, and not by voting.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Must be the title

Yeah, I did check for it but couldn't find anything in the search. I thought it was strange that such a thing would be missed by ATSers!

Thanks-

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Well, I told you heads would roll on what happened in this case. I did not expect it to be the Chief of Police's head, but I am not surprised either. TPD is not like those other departments you hear about that seem to never do anything about a bad situation.

Police Chief Dennis Jones to Retire

That is at the heart of discussions that took place between City Manager Anita Favors Thompson and commissioners — before, during and after a recent City Commission meeting — over concerns about the management of the Tallahassee Police Department. Police Chief Dennis Jones announced his early retirement three days after video of the arrest of Christine West became public, insisting that it was his decision alone, a view echoed by Favors Thompson. But commissioners also have insisted they had directed Favors Thompson to make changes. It’s a tension that will continue, as Favors Thompson has already begun a search for a new police chief, a process and choice commissioners insist they will direct.
source

posted on Sep, 19 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I just found this video where the Chief is announcing his retirement. You can watch it HERE.

Something that some might not understand about Tallahassee is there has been an ongoing battle to consolidate the Sheriff and Police for years. Just this year they finally managed to consolidate the dispatch centers of Leon County and the city of Tallahassee. It's been something a majority of the citizens have wanted for years.

I always follow the money, and when you think about the revenue issues regarding the idea of consolidating the county sheriff and city police it is easy to see why the city commissioners wanted to get on top of this issue very fast. The city stands to lose a LOT of revenue if the country somehow would take over all duties of law enforcement. Citizens love their elected sheriff, and have a bit of an issue with much of what is actually going on in Tallahassee. I won't go into that here, but as I said prior to today, this issue would be dealt with and it obviously is beginning now. I just wonder what will happen to those two bonehead officers who hurt Mrs. West who was obviously not combative.

top topics

join