It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cleveland 911 dispatcher disciplined for call with kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Cleveland 911 dispatcher disciplined for call with kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

www .newsnet5.com

Dispatcher Jack Purdy was given a written reprimand that will stay on his file for three years. In a letter from Bureau of Communications and Property Control Commander Thomas Stacho said Purdy didn’t follow protocol because he didn’t stay on the line with her until officers arrived.

“Without question, you should have kept her on the line as I believe that that simple, required act would have enhanced her sense of safety,” Stacho’s letter to Purdy said.

The reprimand also said he should have showed more empathy when speaking with the kidnapping survivor.

Read more: http://
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
At the time I heard the tape, I was really struck by the lack of empathy shown to her, but more so that she was then left alone to deal with things on her own especially as Castro could return at any moment and cause mayhem.

A good 911 operator usually helps to calm things down. This operator didn't, imo.

While a letter of reprimand was chosen as punishment, how about some retraining for this individual? Or do you think he should have been fired, as one commenter felt he should have been?

You can hear the tape at the link provided and there is also a link for mobile users.

www .newsnet5.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 6-9-2013 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Wow, that dude is seriously a "high talker" LOL! I would have sworn the 911 operator was a woman.

Oh well.. well deserved reprimand and darn lucky he wasn't fired. :

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
Wow, that dude is seriously a "high talker" LOL! I would have sworn the 911 operator was a woman.

Oh well.. well deserved reprimand and darn lucky he wasn't fired. :

Fully agree. I did a double take when I learned it was a male.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

Yeah he maybe should have but seriously, if someone called you up and said "I got kidnapped ten years ago", would hoax not spring in to your mind?

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

Only if it was outsourced to India. (Did I just say that?)

The operator and people from Cleveland were aware of the kidnappings as it was in the press and Amanda's mother renewed her publicity and plea every year.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Wow that was cold hearted. He should have stayed on the damned line. Poor thing had been through hell for ten long years and then she is left to wait for the police to arrive?

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface

Only if it was outsourced to India. (Did I just say that?)

The operator and people from Cleveland were aware of the kidnappings as it was in the press and Amanda's mother renewed her publicity and plea every year.

Maybe that's even more reason to believe it could've been a hoax

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   

I see where you're coming from. However even if he suspected a hoax, it was not reason enough to pass judgment on it and act incompetently, was it?

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface

I see where you're coming from. However even if he suspected a hoax, it was not reason enough to pass judgment on it and act incompetently, was it?

You'd need to ask him to find the answer to that one mate

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

It's hard to believe isn't it? No warmth or understanding in his voice. I wish they would have assigned him for retraining along those lines.

join