It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook scoops up mobile phone numbers | But won't say why

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Facebook scoops up mobile phone numbers – but won't say why

You also agree to have your FACE displayed in ads ... b|^@#

Facebook is slurping mobile phone numbers from its users without explaining why, it has emerged.

In an upcoming overhaul to the social network's data use policy, Facebook said it had made a number of updates about the information it receives about individuals using the free content ad network.

It includes simplifying the language it uses to explain what information it receives from users whenever they are using or "running" Facebook. It said it was also clarifying that some of that information reveals details about the device itself such as an IP address, operating system or – surprisingly – a mobile phone number.

The Register has asked Facebook to clarify this point as it's not clear from the revised policy wording if a mobile number is scooped up without an individual's knowledge or as a result of it being previously submitted by that person to access some of the company's services. Importantly, Facebookers are not required to cough up their mobile phone number upon registering with the service. At time of writing, Facebook was yet to respond with comment.

www.theregister.co.uk...

This subject popped up in another thread I had made recently...briefly covering the whole "Give us your name, number, DOB, SIN, and all identifying information please" type protocols websites have for their userbase.

This is starting to gain more traction it seems and it pops up more frequently in the social sphere. Maybe people are getting tired of handing over their first born simply to sign up for newsletters, information, or to leave comments... talk to people, connect, etc.

I made another thread futher back, where I was applauding Facebook's advertising structure. It's great for anyone trying/wanting to advertise to a very specific demographic.

So, it's obvious I have mixed feelings on the matter.

I remember the days where people protected their identities online. In fact, it was standard, and instructed by teachers, police officers, web developers, and just about anyone with any familiarity with the net, to protect one's identity online. The whole idea of anonymity was to make a safe user experience for the user, where their data couldn't be manipulated for theft, for stalking, assault, etc.

Times have changed. And while FB is great for advertisers, I feel like they might be alienating the key group the advertisers need to make it worthwhile.

Same goes for many other services as well. The internet is changing, and not necessarily for the better.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I just got a email from FB today about this.
I wonder what ever happened about that class action suit about using users pics in ads?
Is this about trying to void out the lawsuit so to speak?
edit on 8/30/13 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I am sooooo glad I dont use facebook
When I tell people I dont do facebook, they look at me odly, like I'm a freak LOL Love it!!!

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   
this is why i have a fake picture, fake birthday, fake name kinda like ats except i can swear on facebook. ahem

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

I know, I was told that I was weird for not having a facebook at work the other day. Someone pointed out that even their grandma had a facebook, my reply was exactly

I like my privacy, I dont always want my friends and family knowing what I'm always doing and vice versa I dont always need to know they are up to . Just call me. To much drama starts on there I'm always hearing "omg did you here what so and so posted".

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by rockoperawriter
this is why i have a fake picture, fake birthday, fake name kinda like ats except i can swear on facebook. ahem

I do this on every site! Most users are stupid enough to input their phone number just like they're ignorant enough to use their actual name. Well, most people are stupid and that's a fact just look at facebook, twitter, and whatever social site you can think of.
edit on 30-8-2013 by qwerty12345 because: obama touches little boys

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
My Facebook is my grandmother's name and birthday. I never ever attached my phone number to it. Seems stupid to do so

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
i now have the temptation to put the city morgue as my mobile number

posted on Oct, 17 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Recently, YAHOO also changed their new account procedures. In order to open a new email account at Yahoo, one has to be sent a confirmation via cellphone. So, no Iphone or Blackberry etc, no YAHOO email account.

Increasingly, the few of us without a cellphone (under 20% of Canadians) are being slowly marginalised.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

CitizenJack
reply to post by HomerinNC

I know, I was told that I was weird for not having a facebook at work the other day. Someone pointed out that even their grandma had a facebook, my reply was exactly

I like my privacy, I dont always want my friends and family knowing what I'm always doing and vice versa I dont always need to know they are up to . Just call me. To much drama starts on there I'm always hearing "omg did you here what so and so posted".

When you are on the internet you have no privacy.

posted on May, 5 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: boncho
I'm glad I don't use facebook!

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   

I did notice this when i had my phone hooked up to my laptop one day .
I went on to Facebook and it started to download my contacts automatically wtf
no way i gave my permission to that

I ALWAYS keep a old cell turned off in my bedroom for things like that

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Facebook does seem to be going rogue in gathering cell phone numbers and contacts.

With facebook and most cell phone apps, privacy rights are essentially waived in the license agreement that most blindly agree to.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC
... When I tell people I dont do facebook, they look at me odly, like I'm a freak LOL Love it!!!

If you're not on facebook you're more likely to be a mass-murderer ...
neowin.net/news/not-using-facebook-you-might-be-a-mass-murderer[ editby]edit on 2-6-2014 by engvbany because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
You can surely believe that all of every line of information that you type into your account is saved into a database somewhere. Good thing we can change our names, our social security numbers and move to another state if our identities are jeopardized by imitators and such. Identity protection and account protection are modern societies hottest goods.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
It is tough to even open a new email account without a cell number today, especially the popular free ones.

Marketing and 'detective work' are 2 reasons why we must give up a cell phone number(and essentially are GPS location) when signing up for online social networks.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC

Same here, HomerinNC. I was on there for about 2 years and all I got was a pain in my arm from the gd games I played. When they started to change things, I got off the merry-go-round. I don't miss it at all and even feel a bit stupid that I wasted 2 years of my life. :/

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: douglas5

Me too. I have and old phone that has mega minutes on it but I use it just for all those sites that require a phone number. I often get a lot of spam calls on that phone. Ha, but of course it never gets answered. And since it's in a drawer I don't have to hear it either. I check it once a week and delete the garbage calls.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 07:54 AM
link   
They've all been trying to gather phone numbers for a whilre now. You know...to help you...should you forget your password or need to prove who you are...wtf,

originally posted by: rockoperawriter

Some told me they could real arrest you for that. Some obscure, vaguely worded law no noticed.

I will never be on Facebook. Facebook can KMA.

edit on 1/24/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I was on fb for a bit, got bored with seeing the same stuff every day, your right it was all drama all the time, I recently deactivated my account for this and other reasons, didn't want people or certain people to keep being able to find me. I really didn't care however to see what people were eating for lunch and what place they were eating at. or who cheated on who again....I told my close circle of friends that anyone who was that important to me knew how to get in touch with me anyone who didn't wasn't that important to me I guess.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join