It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Issues 2 New Executive Actions to Reduce Gun Violence, import ban/background checks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
This just came out about an hour ago today.

www.whitehouse.gov...

Today, the Obama administration announced two new common-sense executive actions to keep the most dangerous firearms out of the wrong hands and ban almost all re-imports of military surplus firearms to private entities.

Basically, he issued 2 new executive actions.

If you're acquiring a machine gun, short barreled shotgun, ect... through a trust or corporation, you will go through a background check.

At present, when the weapon is registered to a trust or corporation, no background check is run. ATF reports that last year alone, it received more than 39,000 requests for transfers of these restricted firearms to trusts or corporations.

•Today, ATF is issuing a new proposed regulation to close this loophole. The proposed rule requires individuals associated with trusts or corporations that acquire these types of weapons to undergo background checks, just as these individuals would if the weapons were registered to them individually. By closing this loophole, the regulation will ensure that machine guns and other particularly dangerous weapons do not end up in the wrong hands.

For the above, it basically seems like you will go through the same background check as you would if you buy as an individual from an FFL. This one doesn't really bother me.

The second one has got me a bit worried. It's called "Keeping Surplus Military Weapons Off Our Streets". Im not sure what this will lead to.

•When the United States provides military firearms to its allies, either as direct commercial sales or through the foreign military sales or military assistance programs, those firearms may not be imported back into the United States without U.S. government approval. Since 2005, the U.S. Government has authorized requests to reimport more than 250,000 of these firearms.

•Today, the Administration is announcing a new policy of denying requests to bring military-grade firearms back into the United States to private entities, with only a few exceptions such as for museums. This new policy will help keep military-grade firearms off our streets.

From what I see in the above, it doesn't apply to importers like Century Arms, Arsenal, ect... It seems guns like Mosin Nagants, semi-auto AK's, ect.... are still safe.

Im a bit worried over CMP guns though. Once their stock of WW2 surplus M1 Garands has dried up, is that it?

Hopefully someone can help me clarify this.

edit on 29-8-2013 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

join