It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With the help of a Medical Doctor, police paralyzed a man who refused search...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Oak Ridge case tests rules on body searches.

Felix Booker was lying naked on a gurney with a tube protruding from his mouth, medically paralyzed and unable to breathe on his own, as a white-coated stranger probed the most intimate region of his body.

The Oak Ridge man was being searched in what has become a case that is testing the boundaries of how far police can go in the hunt for hidden drugs.

Back in 2010, police found what they thought were trace amounts of drugs during a traffic stop.

Unsatisfied with a standard pat down, police wanted to perform a cavity search on Felix Booker.

Unwilling to allow such an invasive search, police took the suspect to the Emergency Room, where Dr. Michael LaPaglia paralyzed Felix Booker. For 8 minutes, Felix Booker was not able to do anything, not even breathe on his own...

Three years later, the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals found that this "search" violated Felix's 4th Amendment rights and overturned his conviction.

WOW.

So the State went too far when they paralyzed a man in order to conduct a search... you think???

War on drugs + Global War of Terror = RIP 4th Amendment.

As the militarized police state continues to grow in the US, its nice when we win one.

Thankfully, his attorney Robert L Jolley, did not give up. How many lawyers would have been willing to challenge this ruling as far as they did? I doubt the defendant had the money required to cover the lawyer's fees.

Had Mr. Jolley NOT pursued this case, the conviction would have stood setting a legal precedent.

And what kind of sick and twisted "doctor" does this?

I had to look this guy up: Dr. Michael A. Lapaglia Jr, MD. Didnt find much but this is one scary dude.

The Stasi would have been proud. I would imagine that our government was quite pleased as well.

edit on 27-8-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
From your link -

The doctor found a piece of rock coc aine, a little more than five grams’ worth, in Booker's rectum. At trial, Booker was convicted on a federal drug charge—possession with intent to distribute—and sentenced to five years in prison.

You mean the end does not justify the means?

No, these contraband laws must go. The "cure" is worse than whatever "disease" is countered. Those are used as inroads into destroying whatever privacy and freedom we have remaining. It is not worth it.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Oh #, this happened in Tennessee; my state.

To be honest though, most cops here are self-righteous assholes who think that their badges not only make them above the law, but judge, jury and executioner. They consider that little piece of tin to mean that they can tell you to jump, and you should ask how high...

It's sickening, and they get their knickers in a twist whenever you won't comply with their outrageously insane demands... Intimidation, aggression, and brutality are their two biggest assets as an incorporated police force...

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by sayzaar

I actually saw this comment before it was flagged.

While I dont agree with the presentation, I do agree with the sentiment.

I wish more people had been able to see this but ATS was glitching at the time due to the coming upgrades.

Its truly mind blowing.

top topics

join