It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United States Embassy Reykjavik, Iceland - Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Demonstration

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
International human rights record embarassment for the USA

Bradley/Chelsea Manning protest a security risk worthy of a security message by Reykjavik Embassy.

iceland.usembassy.gov/service/emergency-message-for-us-citizens.html

August 22, 2013

United States Embassy Reykjavik, Iceland

Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Demonstration

The U.S. Embassy in Reykjavik informs U.S. citizens that there is a planned demonstration today, Thursday, August 22, in front of the U.S. Embassy, starting at 17:00, by the Bradley Manning support network in Iceland. The Embassy is located at Laufasvegur 21, near downtown Reykjavik.

We urge U.S. citizens to avoid the immediate area if possible, and to exercise caution near any demonstrations that may occur. Monitor local media and be aware of your surroundings at all times. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.

Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, and monitor local news stations for updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.

We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Iceland enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) at www.Travel.State.Gov. STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates, and makes it easier for the U.S. embassy or nearest U.S. consulate to contact you in an emergency. If you don’t have Internet access, enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

We also suggest you regularly monitor the Bureau of Consular Affairs website, where you can find current Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and the Worldwide Caution. Read the Country-Specific Information Sheet for Iceland. For additional information, refer to “A Safe Trip Abroad” on the State Department’s website.

Contact the U.S. Embassy for up-to-date information on travel restrictions. You can also call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays). Follow us on Twitter and Facebook, and download our free Smart Traveler iPhone App through iTunes and the Google Play Store for travel information at your fingertips.

The U.S. Embassy in Reykjavik is located at 21 Laufasvegur, near downtown Reykjavik, and is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Individuals needing consular assistance can contact the American Citizens Services Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Reykjavik by calling +354-562-9100 during office hours, or by e-mail at [email protected]. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance, the emergency number for the U.S. Embassy is +354-595-2248.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
What are Icelanders going to do? Yell real loud and harshly while using very bad language? It's pretty peaceful up there, the last I knew.

That seems a little insulting in that setting, where most places it might be fitting. If we lose an Embassy to the people of Iceland??? We don't deserve to have one.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I think Icelanders are the toughest, most determined and perhaps the smartest people on the planet right now. After what they went through and the way they came together to remedy the situation should put everyone in awe.

The memo is fear mongering by the US. This country does not like the secrets that got them in trouble. Go Iceland.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrabbit2000
What are Icelanders going to do?

What we should.

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

Originally posted by wrabbit2000
What are Icelanders going to do?

What we should.

going to do?

the already did it, a couple years ago.

it takes a unified people that view each other in the same boat, America has purposely been flooded with large amount of people too rapid to have adequate assimilation. Plus, many immigrants in USA actually hate us, have contempt, and are only here due to $$$ personal gain.

unified, we can win..

but we cant be unified while few have it all, and many more starve.

why would ...?

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
If anything,

I think Americans should actually go up to Icelanders and ask their opinions.

We might actually LEARN a thing or two.

They were just about the only country that actually took some positive steps in the fight against the corrupt bankers up there !!!

And we all know WHO they (the bankers [wink wink]) were right ???

posted on Aug, 22 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
If anything,

I think Americans should actually go up to Icelanders and ask their opinions.

We might actually LEARN a thing or two.

They were just about the only country that actually took some positive steps in the fight against the corrupt bankers up there !!!

And we all know WHO they (the bankers [wink wink]) were right ???

Excellent suggestion.

I had the pleasure of meeting some Icelandic tourists recently, and they allowed me to show them around a bit, which gave me the opportunity to speak with them about a broad range of subjects. I could not be more thankful for the experience, even though they kept trying to thank me.

Wonderful people, and we could all stand to learn from them.
edit on 22-8-2013 by VariableConstant because: (no reason given)

top topics

join