It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"There's already a thread...."

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
ask.abovetopsecret.com...

I use this search function. I HATE the other 'new' one. It doesn't want to work for me.

Thank you! I didn't know it still existed.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Case in point;
There is this thread titled "The Laurel Canyon Conspiracy", www.abovetopsecret.com...
easy right?
Search Laurel Canyon and you get nothing, but if you search Laurel Canyon Conspiracy you get results. I've learned to try several ways before I give up.
But,
Using duckduckgo.com, type in "above top secret laurel canyon" you get the thread. I use duckduckgo now, just preface each search with "above top secret".

edit on 10-8-2013 by tanda7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by tanda7

some peoples kids are more clever then others

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Springer

The other day I typed in the exact thread title looking for my Threadkillers Anonymous thread (it had been quiet for a bit so it was off my list), and the search engine didn't find it, even with the exact title.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
"Search" always works for me. Perhaps people need to refine their search terms.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
"65% of the time it works every time."

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

You're right. Many time there are in fact, dupes.

What might be an idea to consider (if it isn't already being considered) is predictive typing upon thread title creation...(yes I understand the horsepower required to index and search all thread titles, but maybe force someone into categorizing before creation)...showing the potential author of the thread, ANY other thread titles within that categorization with similar language.

Just a thought...

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
You know with all the comments i have reported my idea.My grandmother just passed . We were very close. But because of this i know i missed more than a few informative threads in the lastfew weeks.

Threads i will never know about unless someone posts a duplicate thread in the future. So maybe a year or so between duplicates needs to be thought about . With a friendly link to the old thread for further reading in the op even.

Anyways duplicate threads are now fine in my book as long as there is a 6 month or a year lapse. And sometimes the duplicated thread was just 3 pages of rubbish before sane people arrive and start giving actual information. A lot of the time people want go that far.

My 2 cents.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Another_Nut

TYpically, dupes are allowed to go on after a period of time.

Condolences on your grandmother.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by suz62
"Search" always works for me. Perhaps people need to refine their search terms.

"Search" always works for me too
Its the "finding" that gives me probs

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I use this search function. I HATE the other 'new' one. It doesn't want to work for me.

me too

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
It seems the search want more then two words. Add another word to that 'Laurel Canyon' search and see what happens.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

tanda7
There is this thread titled "The Laurel Canyon Conspiracy", www.abovetopsecret.com...
easy right?
Search Laurel Canyon and you get nothing, but if you search Laurel Canyon Conspiracy you get results. I've learned to try several ways before I give up.

If you search for "Laurel Canyon" with the quotation marks it works, I just did that.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   

I see those a LOT, and usually, it is the duplicate thread that hits the home page, which is where I see them. I have had a couple myself, when I DID search, too, and found nothing, only to have the thread closed because one was already open. Now, that's all fine and good, but it's frustrating that the search doesn't pick these things up sooner. No idea what the issue could be, but a fix would be awesome! Maybe even a way to transport the duplicate to the original? Not sure how/if that could work, but it would be handy.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
I don't understand the issue with Samuru Search, it has always worked for me when I type in the relevant keywords for what I ma looking for. Adding quotes can hurt or help depending on what you're looking for, but beyond that, I don't get the issue at all.

Springer...

I know on the threads of mine that were duplicates, I did a search, using quotes and variations, and even just key words, and didn't locate the earlier threads. I believe all were VERY recent, if that helps, as in within a day. Not 100% certain there, but I think it was that or close to that. It's like the search doesn't always pick up the newer threads. If I recall, I saw this on the old version and the new. Again, not 100% sure there. I have also seen duplicate threads that were smaller on the home page, when the original was longer and didn't hit , even if the flags were the same. Weird, I know, and not the norm, but it happens. Gremlins, maybe? Mostly, the search is pretty good, but some things seem to slip through somehow. I will say that the newer version seems to get a LOT more hits on various topics than the old one ever did. Overall, it's a minor issue, though, and the site has always, save for a few known issues that were resolved quickly, worked very well for me.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

I prefer that one as well.

Just saying is all

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join