It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dominoes continue to fall. Fresh allegations of Domestic Spying in NY Times

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
The United States has a problem. Despite the assurances of Obama, Clapper, Alexander etc that we are not being spied upon... It continues to appear they are simply lying to us. They hope to distract us as well with the Embassy closings and terror announcements ( Similar to the use of the Color Coded alert system during the Bush Presidency.

Our Fourth Admendment rights are being shredded before our eyes. Lying to Congress is as much a crime as what the Government aspires to lay at the feet of Snowden.

A reminder if what the Fourth Admendment says.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.[1]

en.m.wikipedia.org...

The new allegations in today's New York Times.

WASHINGTON — The National Security Agency is searching the contents of vast amounts of Americans’ e-mail and text communications into and out of the country, hunting for people who mention information about foreigners under surveillance, according to intelligence officials. The N.S.A. is not just intercepting the communications of Americans who are in direct contact with foreigners targeted overseas, a practice that government officials have openly acknowledged. It is also casting a far wider net for people who cite information linked to those foreigners, like a little used e-mail address, according to a senior intelligence official. While it has long been known that the agency conducts extensive computer searches of data it vacuums up overseas, that it is systematically searching — without warrants — through the contents of Americans’ communications that cross the border reveals more about the scale of its secret operations. It also adds another element to the unfolding debate, provoked by the disclosures of Edward J. Snowden, the former N.S.A. contractor, about whether the agency has infringed on Americans’ privacy as it scoops up e-mails and phone data in its quest to ferret out foreign intelligence. Government officials say the cross-border surveillance was authorized by a 2008 law, the FISA Amendments Act, in which Congress approved eavesdropping on domestic soil without warrants as long as the “target” was a noncitizen abroad. Voice communications are not included in that surveillance, the senior official said.

mobile.nytimes.com...

In my opinion it does not matter if it is the NSA or GCHQ or any of the "Five Eyes" partners or any of the other members of Echelon. The End result is the same.. We are being spied on and lied to in massive doses.

These new allegations seem to go hand in hand with Greenwald's recent article claiming members of Congress are being denied information about the NSA.

Members of Congress have been repeatedly thwarted when attempting to learn basic information about the National Security Agency (NSA) and the secret FISA court which authorizes its activities, documents provided by two House members demonstrate. From the beginning of the NSA controversy, the agency's defenders have insisted that Congress is aware of the disclosed programs and exercises robust supervision over them. "These programs are subject to congressional oversight and congressional reauthorization and congressional debate," President Obama said the day after the first story on NSA bulk collection of phone records was published in this space. "And if there are members of Congress who feel differently, then they should speak up." But members of Congress, including those in Obama's party, have flatly denied knowing about them. On MSNBC on Wednesday night, Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Ct) was asked by host Chris Hayes: "How much are you learning about what the government that you are charged with overseeing and holding accountable is doing from the newspaper and how much of this do you know?"

www.theguardian.com...

More on Echelon

ECHELON is a name used in global media and in popular culture to describe a signals intelligence (SIGINT) collection and analysis network operated on behalf of the five signatory states to the UKUSA Security Agreement[1] (Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the United States, referred to by a number of abbreviations, including AUSCANNZUKUS[1] and Five Eyes).[2][3] It has also been described as the only software system which controls the download and dissemination of the intercept of commercial satellite trunk communications.[4] ECHELON, according to information in the European Parliament document, "On the existence of a global system for the interception of private and commercial communications (ECHELON interception system)" was created to monitor the military and diplomatic communications of the Soviet Union and its Eastern Bloc allies during the Cold War in the early 1960s.[5]

en.m.wikipedia.org...

The fact is we are being systematically lied to and manipulated by a Government that has a low estimation of our intellect and attention span

Do you not think it is interesting that on one hand we want to punish Manning, Snowden etc to the fullest extent of the law for leaking information while at the same time leaks continue to come out concerning the supposed Embassy closings and related travel warnings. They want to distract us and at the same time make us see how invaluable the Surveillance system is to our safety. Why are those in power not discussing how we missed 3 prison breaks in a weeks time with over 1000 Al Qaeda prisoners being freed.?

edit on 8-8-2013 by GArnold because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I like this Analyst.. You have some great information and training. Cool swag keep it up mate. Don't be burned by the ISI on here. They'll do it.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
No offense OP.

To be honest I'm getting tired of this spying stuff.

Okay. They are spying.

The Horse is Dead why beat it, there are better things to beat.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by gotya

LMFAO, nicely put dear friend.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by gotya

So you're aware of it, hear about it everywhere and you're "Ok" with it or just sick of hearing about it?

Don't you think it's ridiculous?
Don't you think it's illegal?
Don't you think it goes against everyones rights? Including Non-americans.
Don't you think something should be done about it?
Don't you think someone should be held responsible for the complete violation of practically everyone?

I'm guessing people like you are why these things continue, and right out in the open in our faces no less.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowLink
reply to post by gotya

So you're aware of it, hear about it everywhere and you're "Ok" with it or just sick of hearing about it?

Don't you think someone should be held responsible for the complete violation of practically everyone?

I'm guessing people like you are why these things continue, and right out in the open in our faces no less.

My first reaction when reading that post (of Gotya) was this is exactly the response the Govt is hoping for. I can't force someone not to be apathetic towards the world. There is a much bigger picture than just spying in my estimation. This surveillance program was perhaps the biggest secret the US has had since the Manhattan project. You have a Govt going after whistleblowers while at the same time leaking sensitive information to the media. You have fairly important people such as General Alexander lying to Congress about the role of the NSA and domestic spying. You have a Govt that is trying to distract you from the fact it is actively breaking the law by dis allowing our 4th admendment rights that are guareenteed to us in the Constitution. You have a Govt that does not trust it's own citizens. They know most of you care more about who advances on American Idol then the fact every aspect of your life is now being monitored and logged in a database somewhere.

Does the hypocrisy not bother you? Does the fact Clapper and Alexander blatantly lied to Congress which I should add is a crime not bother you?

You have a Govt that is using secret laws from secret courts that we as Citizens are not entitled to view or know about.

You have a Govt that seems willing to try and distract you with embassy closings and terror warnings at the same time making you dependent on the surveillance state. Have we not learned anything since Bush manipulated the color codec warning system to inflate his approval rating? At the same time not mentioning the fact it failed in a spectacular way to stop 3 different prison breaks by supposed/alleged Al Qaeda terrorists.

There are so many huge issues at stake here that is hard to really fathom the bigger picture.

I cannot force you to care about the future... I will only say you cared so little you apparently clicked on the thread and then decided to make a comment.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowLink
reply to post by gotya

I'm not okay with it but stating the obvious doesn't solve a problem.

Example... there is a leaky pipe. Fine we can all see the pipe is leaking. If we all say the pipe is leaking it won't fix the leak.

If there is a leaky pipe you call a plumber. If the government is spying you........

(I fixed the pipe.)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by gotya

So ceasing to point out that the Government is spying on us all is going to help what exactly?

That's precisely what they want. They want for us all to say "Oh well", "I'm tired of hearing about it" etc... then it will eventually disappear under the radar again.

This needs to be talked about endlessly and everyone needs to be made aware of the extreme violations that are taking place, the legality of it, and the downright wrongness of it and something NEEDS to be done about it.

Surprisingly, I still run into the odd person who is completely unaware of this. Must be nice to be oblivious.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Its the simple fact that nobody cares.

Just like a poster or two on this very thread.

"They" know that the vast majority of Americans dont give a hoot.

Just tell anybody you work with or know. See what they say.

It really is sad.

One day they will wake up and go, wtf happened here.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by gotya

reply to post by OpViper7

Wow, you joined within two days of each other. Yet neither one of you realizes which website you are on.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Please write letters to your congressmen and senators. If they are not flooded with mail, they will think that they are doing a swell job.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by gotya
No offense OP.

Okay. They are spying.

You're getting tired, yet you choose to post a comment. Enjoy your enslavement.

How about this...this Posse Com forum is probably apart of the NSA dragnet.

I find it ironic that ATS starts a PC forum at the height of domestic spying...saying to the spooks..."here you are good sir...all of the dissidents on a silver platter, with a side of fries."

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
But they could not find Osama Bin Laden because he did not have any way to communicate.

Yes that is a satellite dish pointed to a tower for wifi connections to the internet. They had four or five dishes at the house. Just remember the patriot act was never used to prosecute the terrorist they were locked away at Gitmo with no charges. How many Americans have been charged? The spying is also for us not the terrorist.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by supremecommander

No offense OP.

Okay. They are spying.

I find it ironic that ATS starts a PC forum at the height of domestic spying...saying to the spooks..."here you are good sir...all of the dissidents on a silver platter, with a side of fries."

You all sound the same but there is no action.

DO SOMETHING.

If you are unhappy make a stand but instead you continue to feed the beast.

Moronic behavior.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
reply to post by gotya

Wow, you joined within two days of each other. Yet neither one of you realizes which website you are on.

I know where I am have the rules changed? Am I allowed to express my opinion or do I need permission?

By the way did you have a point to make with your post?

Oh look at me cry because I don't get your little stars. I think 4 myself bro.

edit on 8-8-2013 by gotya because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by supremecommander

No offense OP.

Okay. They are spying.

You all sound the same but there is no action.

DO SOMETHING.

If you are unhappy make a stand but instead you continue to feed the beast.

Moronic behavior.

I am a self sufficient small business owner who pushes forward without relying on ANYONE.

The stand has been made. I refuse. I REFUSE THIS SYSTEM.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
reply to post by gotya

I know where I am have the rules changed? Am I allowed to express my opinion or do I need permission?

By the way did you have a point to make with your post?

His point?

You're a government SPOOK.

That's his point,

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
It's like that "on star" system in some cars.
If the government had forced it on us as surveillance,
we would have hated it.
But if we can have the same technology, except it works _for_ us
then we love it.

Oh... wait....

Mike

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by supremecommander

Do ewe pay taxes?

Do you? (remember they are watching.)

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 10:34 PM