It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LEGAL Free ebooks, and where to find them **NO PIRACY!!!**

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Well, trying this again
I love reading, can read night and day, loved reading since I was a kid.
When I was in the Army, I'd stress out about what to take with me to read, since I dont play cards and such when I was off duty, and since I can pretty much read a book in a day or so, reading the same couple of books over and over can get to you LOL
I read when I'm riding in a car, sitting outside til 0300AM, while at a restaurant, my ipad is opened, one hand turning pages, other hand shoving food in my mouth LOL
Since the invention of the ereaders, ie Kindle, ipad, I find myself reading more and more.
I have to put myself on a monthly budget to buy books, which I can blow thru in the first week of the month. I have about 400+ books on my ipad that I have bought and read in the last 2 years or so.
I remember going to book swaps when I was younger with a moving box full of books I've read, and going home with the same box full of new books to read. How many of you remember doing that?

I know there are others out there in ATSland that read as much as I do, and this thread is dedicated to us bookworms.
This is about where to find free ebooks LEGALLY, and LEGAL ebook swapping.
If you have an Amazon Kindle or the Kindle app, you can find some pretty good books for free there,
Kindle Books

I know most libaries out there have some limited free books to borrow and read, do you guys out there know of other legit, LEGAL places to get ebooks from or swap ebooks?

NOTICE: discussions of piracy or how to get free books ILLEGALLY will NOT be tolerated, and IMMEDIATELY reported.
This thread is NOT about theft of intellectual property in any what whatsoever.
Please do NOT derail this thread with those discussions or posting of torrent site to steal books from, all links MUST be of a legit source to obtain books or swap books
edit on 8/6/2013 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Thanks for re-posting this.

Here is one that I posted on the other thread.

eBook Fling

ETA:

Here is another one that I forgot about. . .

eBook Chums
edit on 6-8-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

I signed up for the ebook fling, gonna check out the other one, thanks

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Project Gutenberg

It has a large, searchable database of books, including all those classics you'd like to get around to reading. (Anything from before 1923 is no longer under copyright.)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
What kind of books do you like to read?
I like and use Google books. There's a ton of free books, but most of them are very old and the copyright has expired, or they are in the public domain.

books.google.com...

Also try here:

archive.org...

I love reading the older books, especially nonfiction books.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Sorry about the last thread, I didn't know that was not allowed.

I suggest checking public library websites. I know in my city you can download ebooks as long as you have a library card. I believe they are on loan just as physical books but I'm not positive.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

What kind of books do you like to read?

Mainly sci fi, military sci fi, military fiction, archaeological thrillers, alien first contact, stuff like that

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by gotya

Sorry about the last thread, I didn't know that was not allowed.

I suggest checking public library websites. I know in my city you can download ebooks as long as you have a library card. I believe they are on loan just as physical books but I'm not positive.

My county library is soo backwoods they dont have elending yet

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
You can also try www.scribd.com...

They give you an option that in order to download a book, you must upload one. There are also paid books which I found to be very reasonable price wise.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Telos

Wow!!! I see quite a few boks on there I'm gonna check out!! Thanks for that page

ETA: they even have a mobile app for tablets and such

edit on 8/6/2013 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

It is Interesting how many Trolls come out of the woodwork with such decent threads.

/on topic.

I was looking through my old links and found this . . . .

FeedBooks

ETA:

I forgot to add that they have a good section on Biographies and Autobiographies.

I recommend one by Mark Twain called Roughing It. It is an excellent Read.

edit on 6-8-2013 by ShadellacZumbrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

The Red Badge Of Courage, always wanted to read that, TY

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

I have a subscription to scribd. I think it's $7.00 a month and I can download anything I want from there.
( I think, it's been awhile since I used it.)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I love me some books. I like words too. What does Harvenger mean to you? I ask because I don't believe it is a word to the rest of the world. Maybe you mean Harbinger of Optimism?

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Hi Homer,

I'm still kind of new at this but here's a link to a really good resource for free books. It connects to a number of libraries and colleges. Hope this helps.

archive.org...
edit on 6-8-2013 by Azarien because: Forgot link doh!

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
if you have the nook app and an account with barnes and noble, you can borrow books from friends with an account. some of their books have a lend me feature. I think it's for a short time frame, with the hopes you won't finish it and you'll need to buy it, but it exists.

google play and barnes and noble also have some freebies available from time to time.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
And also ibook on ipad or iphone has a wide selection of free ebooks, especially classics. I was amazed to see that authors like V.Hugo, H.D. Balzac, Ch. Dickens, A. Dumas (father and son), G. D. Maupassant, H. Haggard, Jul Verne etc were for free. Including Twain and Conan Doyle. Give it a try...
edit on 6-8-2013 by Telos because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join