It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

gunman opens fire on town hall meeting in Pennsylvania kiling 3

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
hello

I have not seen this posted yet so if it has been please delete

A gunman, identified as 59-year-old Rockne Newell opened fire on a town hall meeting in Ross township Pennsylvania killing at least 3

He was tackled by a local official and shot with his own gun..

There was a reporter there who said "all he saw was holes go through the wall, with smoke and plaster blowing out, and he heard automatic gunfire."

He also said a woman opened a door to the meeting room "and he (the shooter) was standing there. A man pushed her aside and was shot. People were shot inside the room

www.nbcphiladelphia.com...

A shooting during a meeting at a municipal building on Monday left three people dead, according to police. A witness says the gunman was tackled by a local official and shot with his own gun before being taken into custody. Authorities initially said that four people died during a press conference but revised the total down to three.

The shooting happened shortly before 7:30 p.m. during Ross Township's regular monthly meeting, Monroe County emergency management director Guy Miller said

Ross township has a population of only 5,500, when you live in a town that small you never expect something like this

Thank god someone tackled this guy

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Guns don't kill people
We need less gun regulation
We need less gun free zones
Etc
Etc

My prayers go out to the families of the victims

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
RIP to the victims.. cant imagine how shattered their families must be.
More senseless gun crime in the gun crime capital of the world.

You refuse to bring in some form of gun control because you believe guns protect you.. didn't protect them, did it! poor people!

Guns don't kill people
People kill people
But people with guns (people = Americans)
Kill too many people

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

This is terribly tragic, but it also proves a point.

Buildings where meetings like this are typically held usually have signs up that say "No Weapons".

My questions is. .. .. . Would this have happened if those signs were not posted?

It is clear that the gunman had total disregard for any signs.

The point is that having laws doesn't mean that people are going to adhere to them.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

But people with guns (people = Americans)

I am just curious

Is it more than likely that an American is going to kill someone with a gun?

How is it less likely for someone from a different country?

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadellacZumbrum

if you want to exclude war zones.. Id say.. your probably on top.. or at least 2nd to Mexico!
.. in saying that, I would say you rule the world for school shootings, which is probably the worst of the worst.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

First and for most if that was an automatic weapon he was using the permits and restrictions on such a gun are already to the point of being almost impossible to get. Most likely the weapon was purchased illegally. So say guns are banned ok this guy goes out and buys one from a criminal. Then as he is coming up he sees a gun free zone sign. Keeps walking any way. So tragedy averted? Probably not If the guy that died saving the woman had a gun he would have had more of a chance of shooting the shooter first. Stop blaming the guns really the group had screwed this man over hard. Maybe not the same people but the point is this man had to have mental issues from being thrown off HIS OWN PROPERTY and then having to live in a car and abandoned buildings. When you do something like that to someone maybe you deserve what is coming to you.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
wow this is 20 minutes away from where i live.. this had to be a personal issue because the most exciting thing in that town is a camera monitored intersection protecting a big car dealership!

my wife got a ticket from that intersection.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Guns don't kill people
We need less gun regulation
We need less gun free zones
Etc
Etc

My prayers go out to the families of the victims

Like Chicago?
With the strictest gun laws and yet one of the highest gun crime ridden area?

If you read more of the article , this stems from a 18 yr. fight between the city council and this man over his property.

In June, the Pocono Record wrote a story about what it said was an 18-year fight between the township and Newell over his property.

Monroe County Court in August 2012 sided with the township and ordered Newell to vacate and never again occupy or use the property unless he had the permits to do so. The report said Newell had been living out of a car, a 1984 Pontiac Fiero, and in abandoned buildings since being ordered to vacate.

This is more of a mental issue which people seem to want to ignore.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   
From my quick research on this subject….
The cause of the shooting was because they was trying to take his land.
The town grew and ended up surrounding him.

They didn’t like what he was doing on it. It was an eyesore as far as the board and everyone around him considered it.

So they was looking for any excuse to take it. It all finally come down to a road across a stream on his property. There was a small bridge across the stream. When a hurricane came through, the bridge washed out. He talked to the FEMA people that were going through the area. They told him to just put in a culvert. He ask them about permits. They told him he didn’t need to get a permit to do something like that.

When he had his friend come in with a backhoe to put in the culvert. The county regulatory people came in and said what he was doing was illegal. He didn’t have a permit He told them that the FEMA people said he didn’t need a permit for putting it in. They finally relented, but told him that he had to install it higher than what he what he was planning on. After he got it installed, They cited the installation for blocking the flow of the stream because it was too high. (remember they forced him to install it higher).

That blockage of the stream was the primary thing they cited to give them the justification to evict him, and put the property up for sheriff sale.

No one else around him tried to help him except for his one friend, because everyone wanted him gone, and wanted someone else to take over the land.

They got the land, but they paid for it in blood..

I am surprised it doesn’t happen more often with how ruthless the local commissions and zoning boards have gotten.

The lesson in life, is if you take everything from someone, then they no longer have anything to lose. When you put someone in such a position, or help other people put someone into that position, you take your own life into your hands.
edit on 6-8-2013 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Ooops....double post

My apologies

edit on 6-8-2013 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

I can't argue with that,. . But, you have made a generalization and implied that ALL Americans with guns kill people.

That is Not the case.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Thank You Mr Tranny for doing the research as it clears up alot of his frame of mind to have that in the story of why this happened. As for you Agit8dchop, you clearly have an agenda and an ignorant stance on the subject, thanks for adding nothing at all to the thread except your uninformed opinion,

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
What is interesting to me is that some in this thread are tying to blame the fact that he had a gun for the disaster, The real disaster was that one group of people was essentially trying to steal a man's home from him, and he responded.

Am I sorry that people had to die? Absolutely! Do I wish this had not ended in tragedy? Completely!

But as long as you have people trying to use the law to condone theft from others, especially theft of another's home, this will continue and escalate. Guns don't get people killed; legal oppression gets people killed.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
This is local to me.

As much as I dislike these grungy homes, every PA town has one, you have to ask,"do the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one few?" Well, in this case, the Many seem to actually be doing ok, so their needs are few. The victim of the tyranny, the dude, actually did need help, his needs were great....but not so great that it couldn't be overcome....by collective will. Also, two wrongs don't make a right.

That being the case, objectively, another way of looking at is cynical. The local petty tyrants here in NE PA are more than willing to do harm and exceed their authority thru lies and coercion. I know for a fact, I go to meetings and see it. I speak out and sleep with the Sunshine Act under my pillow, which have used it more or less effectively in court.

This is Luzerne County, the county that spawned Cash for Kids, Chiverella, et al. In short, elected officials use their authority and the BUDGET to build a solid bloc of support for incumbents...municipal workers, small business that don't want to rock the boat...etc. The problem is when it comes to the Magistrates, the DJ. They are locally elected and influence elections in a similar quid pro quo manner. The end result is that we have politicians policing politicians. It's a sham. Our fathead mayor ran for CP Judge 2 yr ago! Can you imagine the conflicts of interest?!? omg, the Dems put the kybosh on him. The PA incumbents also have the Wiretap Laws working for them. You can't "sting" anyone w/a recording. Look at the County Controller Griffith story, he got nailed for it, an elected official TRYING to fight corruption. Well off topic now.

I will chime in again w/info. This issue is too vost for one post. I wish it could go into a regular forum, I expected a LOT of attention. I'm willing to put more work into it. pics of this guys house say a lot, it was just a shack. Now, if he was not really minding his own business, terrorizing w/a gun and threatening....I can see the problem. It's really tough to say.

top topics

join