It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm A "Scathing Atheist." Ask Me Anything.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeReK DaRkLy
reply to post by HairlessApe

As I said earlier, I don't believe in "destiny" in the philosophical sense.

But what about the literal destiny (future) of human consciousness?

Or is the only purpose of abstract thought (imagination) for us simply domination/survival?

I'm not a biologist, so I can only speculate about the advantages of abstract thought. I believe it helped us do things such as recognize patterns in nature and develop tools to aid us, which other species obviously could not do.

"Destiny" and "the Future" are often described as two very different thing. If your definition of destiny is that simple, then this is my reply - Many factors determine what will happen to you in your future, I simply reject the idea that those factors are of a supernatural origin.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

That's quite literally what the "A" in "A-theist" stands for.

Again, it's actually not.

The prefix "a" means without or absence...not "anti".

wordinfo.info...:1

The term Atheist comes from the greek word atheos, meaning "without god"...not "anti god".

My definition of "Atheist" comes from the figureheads of the movement whom I happen to agree with. Feel free to label me however you like. This wasn't really a thread meant for this kind of debate, so at this time our conversation has come to an end.

I thought this was a thread to ask an atheist anything? And right now I am inquiring if you really have a firm understanding on the very word and meaning of "atheist".

I am also curious if you understand that even your fellow atheists and "figureheads" you seem to admire would label you a "weak atheist" or an "agnostic atheist"? I am not labeling you, it is your own peers that are doing that.

I don't know why you want to end the conversation when you have started it, that seems rather disingenuous.

I am curious though, who are the "figureheads" of the "atheist movement"?

I enjoy open discussion with atheists, I really enjoy the discussions where they are willing to examine their own thoughts and beliefs. I was hoping this would be one of those discussions, but it appears my questions to your AMA has made you uncomfortable and you seem to want to end the discussion. That is disappointing...and yet revealing.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

I'm not a biologist, so I can only speculate about the advantages of abstract thought. I believe it helped us do things such as recognize patterns in nature and develop tools to aid us, which other species obviously could not do.

How do you feel about that fact that while humans have effectively dominated every other species on the planet, we also use our powers of intellect to dominate others within our own (human) race? How do you think this will affect our future on the whole?

edit on 5-8-2013 by DeReK DaRkLy because: sp

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

How do you feel about that fact that while humans have effectively dominated every other species on the planet, we also use our powers of intellect to dominate others within our own (human) race? How do you think this will affect our future on the whole?

edit on 5-8-2013 by DeReK DaRkLy because: sp

I'm not quite sure what this has to do with Atheism, but I'll answer your question to the best of my ability regardless. I don't believe all people in positions of power abuse that power, and as for the ones that do, human beings are not the sole example in nature of a creature which raises it's social status through dominance. It's a very natural thing.

It has always been with us - it isn't a new concept. We may never conquer the will to dominate within our species, so it's something that we have to constantly resist. When that fails, we must cope to the best of our ability. That''s all.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

It has always been with us - it isn't a new concept. We may never conquer the will to dominate within our species, so it's something that we have to constantly resist. When that fails, we must cope to the best of our ability. That''s all.

So you don't feel that humanity is moving towards any sort of consensus?
Do you think our evolution is now driven by our unique consciousness, or is it based only on the physical?

(You said 'Ask Me Anything.' ... regardless, you don't have to keep answering.)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

So you don't feel that humanity is moving towards any sort of consensus?
Do you think our evolution is now driven by our unique consciousness, or is it based only on the physical?

(You said 'Ask Me Anything.' ... regardless, you don't have to keep answering.)

No worries friend - I don't have a problem answering genuine questions asked in a non-confrontational manner. Even if they do seem a bit ambiguous/indirect.

No, I feel that humanity, like all of the other biological life on Earth, rose because the conditions were right for it. Now they're trying to perpetuate the species. Perhaps we will come to a "consensus" at some time, but in my opinion it was be for natural reasons - not supernatural ones - and it doesn't require a "reason" to happen.

I believe humans have an understanding of their own genes which allows them to steer the evolution of the species in a way that other animals cannot.

edit on 5-8-2013 by HairlessApe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

I find this type of discussion fascinating.

Would you explain what your signature means?

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by HairlessApe

Originally posted by DeadSeraph
Why do you think your opinion matters?

For the same reasons you believe yours matter, most likely.

I don't think my opinion matters on the subject. That's why I've never authored a thread called "I'm a Theist, Ask me anything".

That, and I have no trouble admitting that I am in no position to have people ask me "anything", since I don't think I know everything to begin with.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Why do you think your opinion matters?

For the same reasons you believe yours matter, most likely.

I don't think my opinion matters on the subject. That's why I've never authored a thread called "I'm a Theist, Ask me anything".

That, and I have no trouble admitting that I am in no position to have people ask me "anything", since I don't think I know everything to begin with.

I did not purport to know everything or be an expert on the subject matter. I simply want to shed some light on the atheist worldview to people who might be curious and have therefore opened myself up to questioning by the ATS community. Feel free to disregard anything (and everything, if you so choose) that I say.

That's also why I chose to stay out of the religion-oriented forums and stuck to general chit chat.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I find this type of discussion fascinating.

Would you explain what your signature means?

It's a satire of the phrase "For the Bible Tells Me So."

Admittedly, I'm a Carl Sagan fanboy.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Does this mean that you believe the 'Cosmos' contains information.. something like the Akashic Records?

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Does this mean that you believe the 'Cosmos' contains information.. something like the Akashic Records?

No, not quite. I think the Cosmos contain valuable scientific knowledge, but no mystical knowledge such as the Akashic Records claim to. Sometimes even the mundane can be astonishing.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotel1
Do you believe there is anything out there greater than yourself?.

That depends on your definition of "greater than myself." Could you be more specific?

I can offer a few things. The planet is more important than I am. If the planet faced destruction and I could save it but lose my life, I would do it. Humanity, too. I would give my life to save mankind from extinction. My society is important too. If Islam threatened to rob my society of its freedoms I would fight them; and yes, to the death if need be.
edit on 8/5/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Sometimes even the mundane can be astonishing.

What do you find to be astonishing?

Doesn't everything work simply on the principles of gravity and polarity?

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by hotel1
Do you believe there is anything out there greater than yourself?.

That depends on your definition of "greater than myself." Could you be more specific?

I can offer a few things. The planet is more important than I am. If the planet faced destruction and I could save it but lose my life, I would do it. Humanity, too. I would give my life save mankind from extinction. My society is important too. If Islam threatened to rob my society of its freedoms I would fight them; and yes, to the death if need be.

Now that's free-verse poetry if I've ever seen it.

In this sense, yes, I believe there is something greater than myself whole-heartedly.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Sometimes even the mundane can be astonishing.

What do you find to be astonishing?

Doesn't everything work simply on the principles of gravity and polarity?

Not at all. The intricacies of the Universe are too complicated for my understanding, but gravity is but a gear in the cog. One of the things I find most astonishing is the fact that the chemical components which form my body have existed (albeit in another form) since the instant the Universe came into being. (At least that's the current view - I wish I didn't have to add this last part because it should be implied, but I want to make it clear that I'm not claiming to be 100% certain of this)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

One of the things I find most astonishing is the fact that the chemical components which form my body have existed (albeit in another form) since the instant the Universe came into being.

Aren't all of the atoms within these chemicals based on principles of polarity?

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

One of the things I find most astonishing is the fact that the chemical components which form my body have existed (albeit in another form) since the instant the Universe came into being.

Aren't all of the atoms within these chemicals based on principles of polarity?

Sure, but what's your point? There are still many more mechanics to the Universe. It was merely an example of what I find astonishing about the Universe - as requested by you.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Sure, but what's your point? There are still many more mechanics to the Universe.

What are they?

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Sure, but what's your point? There are still many more mechanics to the Universe.

What are they?

We're pretty off-track at this point, but I'll give two examples of a fairly newly-discovered (or postulated, depending on how you look at things) mechanics to the universe - dark energy and dark matter. If the postulation is correct, these mechanics play a bigger role than gravity in the formation of the Universe.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join