It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home of the brave no more; unspecified Threat closes US embassies in Muslim world for day

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
If this doesn't encourage them, I don't know what will. The US has decided to close all of its embassies in the Muslim world for a day based on "unspecified threats". I guess they got their point across with the embassy attack in Benghazi last year and now the US is jumping at shadows.

Way to show some backbone there. Instead of beefing up security and preparing for whatever they throw at us, we're just throwing in the towel and running away. I'm sure that will bolster our reputation in the world.

Threat closes US embassies in Muslim world for day

The United States is shuttering its embassies and consulates throughout the Muslim world on Sunday after receiving an unspecified threat, officials said.

State Department officials said Thursday that they were taking action out of an "abundance of caution."

Spokeswoman Marie Harf cited information indicating a threat to U.S. facilities overseas and said some diplomatic facilities may stay closed for more than a day.

Other U.S. officials said the threat was in the Muslim world, where Sunday is a workday. American diplomatic missions in Europe, Latin America and many other places are closed on Sunday.

AP

And if it isn't bad enough that the US is pursuing a policy of "cut and run" in response to this threat, the AP is continuing to perpetuate the long debunked theory of the reasoning for the attacks last year.

Dozens of American installations were besieged by protest over an anti-Islam video made by an American resident.

I noticed that they did add a line since I read this story last night acknowledging that Benghazi, at least, was not related to the demonstrations. I wouldn't doubt that all the demonstrations were linked to Al-CIA-duh somehow.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Now if we would just close our bases in the muslim world, we could save a whole lot more money.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Perfect. We don't close our embassy in Benghazi to protect life and property and the administration catches crap for that. So now we DO close our embassies to protect life and property and the administration gets crap for that. Just can't win apparently.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

In Benghazi, the administration ignored repeated pleas for additional security which resulted in 4 deaths.

Now, in response to "unspecified threats", every embassy in a Muslim country is to be closed for at least a day. Every single last one. I can understand closing one for a specific threat but all, of them around the world seems cowardly and foolish.

The foreign policy of this administration seems to do everything in its power to encourage our enemies. "Terrorists" don't even need to carry out new attacks to watch us blink and overreact anymore. Just the threat is enough to make us run for the hills.

Watch how these ladies respond to a man dropping a bag and running off. This is how the whole country is set to respond nowadays.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

If your embassies stay open and there is a terrorist attack at least it would be some consolation to the families of the victims that 'you' showed some balls and stayed open - that'd really show them terrorists that 'you're' no walk-over.

As for the women in the video you posted - what would you suggest they do?

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Chase down the guy who dropped the bag and open up a can of whup-ass on him.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Well nothing will happen now that the cat is out of the bag !!

This sounds like a typical ruse.

They want people to think they're all of a sudden soooo responsible and alert

I always thought genuine 'threats' were kept secret.

The suspense and drama is kill'n me.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
reply to post by jtma508

In Benghazi, the administration ignored repeated pleas for additional security which resulted in 4 deaths.

Now, in response to "unspecified threats", every embassy in a Muslim country is to be closed for at least a day. Every single last one. I can understand closing one for a specific threat but all, of them around the world seems cowardly and foolish.

The foreign policy of this administration seems to do everything in its power to encourage our enemies. "Terrorists" don't even need to carry out new attacks to watch us blink and overreact anymore. Just the threat is enough to make us run for the hills.

Watch how these ladies respond to a man dropping a bag and running off. This is how the whole country is set to respond nowadays.

Starred and flagged. You nailed it.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

They are not closing ALL of the embassies in muslim dominated countries. Right now the list stands at six.

And these embassies will not be actually closed. They are not a business that can take the day off. They will just be closed to outside activities.

But I do think that these idiots within this administration are once again showing how clueless and amatuerish they actually are.

Announcing that you will be shutting down embassies based upon rumors just go to show that they administer based upon emotions rather than actual critical rational thoughts.

What a bunch of cowards.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Originally posted by Freeborn

Chase down the guy who dropped the bag and open up a can of whup-ass on him.

Really, so now we are running after people who use a trash can rather than throw it on the street? We can be fined for that too, throwing trash in the street, keep our cities beautiful, and take the chance of being shot because everyone is running paranoid. Lovely, just lovely...

Oh and if myself or a family member worked in one of those embassies I would hope that they would take precautions of any threat too, these people have family there as well do they not. I think it would be prudent to just get the hell out.

If people are visiting these areas maybe they need to be told, you can go, but if you do, you are on your own.
edit on 8/2/2013 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I love it. If the embassies stayed open, and they "showed some backbone" and something happened, then people would be screaming about how they knew it was coming and did nothing. If they close them for security reasons, then they're cowards who don't know what they're doing.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
This is an actual photo of the US State Department reacting to a perceived threat in the Middle East.

edit on 2-8-2013 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.

But we know that these embassies will not be "closed" at all. They will just not be conducting business as usual.

I find it laughable in a sad way that supposedly the NSA and all the alphabet agencies with their spy programs are freaking out and the State Dept. reacts by sticking their head in the sand. I thought they could look at everything.
Why telegraph to the alleged attackers by saying you know when they will attack?

What ever happened to actual intel collection and investigation?

It's only for one day...I don't think anything will come of it myself.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

It's a catch 22 because you have to let people in the area (US Citizens) know not to go to the Embassy if they need something that day, and not all register with them (I never did). So you need to get the word out, but you can't always get in contact with the people that need to know.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

They are not closing ALL of the embassies in muslim dominated countries. Right now the list stands at six.

And these embassies will not be actually closed. They are not a business that can take the day off. They will just be closed to outside activities.

The way the AP article is written, it gives the impression that we're closing all embassies in Muslim countries. I'm sure this will be the perception throughout the world so it really makes us look bad to be jumping at shadows like this.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

OMG!! US State Dept. is being run by Honey Boo Boo!!

We're really screwed now...

On point, it is both sad and laughable how any administration reacts to "percieved" threats. IMO they knee jerk to crumbs of info. Worst part is this: unfortunately our enemies are getting smarter (think that bomb dude, whatshisname, alswari or something). What if they put the crumbs out there and the monitor responses? Isn't that a tried and true tactic used by militaries for centuries?

ETA: thanks for the chuckle, Beezer, and S&F for the OP. vey thought provoking IMHO...
edit on 2-8-2013 by PaTommyJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
This ABC news article lists more than six embassies.

Some of the biggest U.S. embassies will close, including those in Egypt, Iraq, Qatar, Bahrain and Kuwait, where tens of thousands of U.S. troops are based. The U.S. embassy in Afghanistan will also close. So will embassies in Dhaka, Bangladesh; Amman, Jordan; Muscat, Oman; Riyadh, Saudi Arabia; Algiers, Algeria; Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates; Sana'a, Yemen; and Tripoli, Libya, according to security warnings issued by those embassies. Two consulates in Saudi Arabia will also close, in Dharan and Jeddah, as will a consulate in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

I think Iran's "Jerusalem Day" ( BBC link ) may be the beginning spark.
Between outgoing president Ahmadinejad's anti-Israel rhetoric, and the incoming Iranian president Rouhani's remarks, plenty of anti-western sentiment is in the air today. Rouhani's inauguration ceremony is August 4th.

Maybe the epicenter of the threat is elsewhere, and this Iran bluster is ordinary, but I thought I would just add this info to the mix of possibilities.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Actually all the does is paint a target on the Muslims too the world. So any future false flags can be enough reason to get international support to rid Assad from Syria. Its quite simple actually. Paint the Muslims as bad guys for the month of August. On September 11(next month) stage a false flag, have the media rally the public up and making them want to kick some ass and get revenge, then we storm across Syria like we did Iraq, meanwhile our music celebrities will make new songs about it like they did during the Iraq conquest.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I just want to add (on a more serious note) that as far as social engineering goes, they (government) is doing a great job at instilling unecessary fear.

It's our chief import and export.
edit on 2-8-2013 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Embassy closures eh?

Wonder if that has anything to do with all the recent prison breaks ?

(CNN) -- A State Department travel alert Friday said al Qaeda may launch attacks in the Middle East, North Africa and beyond, as the United States is closing 21 embassies and consulates Sunday as a precaution.

www.cnn.com...

While I don't want another American to die for that (insert ad hominem) ME.

ME and AQ don't respect cowards they respect STRENGTH.

Wonder if Russia or China is leaking that 'classified' material they recently got from America's top reality tv star. to AQ.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join