It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Open Carry AR-15 (video) So sad...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I hope it goes viral as we tend to only see cops in negative light in the media.

It appears that their goal was not to demonstrate that they can carry a gun/riffle but rather that they don't need to provide identification as they aren't charged with a crime. If that was the case they succeeded.

However, they are being putz about it. Just like they have the right to not give their id the cops has every right to approach them as he did and request additional information. No harm in requesting the info and especially now a days. It looks like both sides did their jobs but one side was more of a putz about it.

Unfortunately , I do foresee a likelihood of a Darwin award in the future.
edit on 31-7-2013 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by interupt42

they don't need to provide identification as they aren't charged with a crime

Bingo. There is one person that gets the whole point.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Is the guy in the video a tool? Yeah, probably. Is the police officer in the video a decent cop? It would seem so. So, with the two things above generally agreed upon, what seems to be the conflict with the video in question?

The problem is, it is perfectly lawful to carry a rifle in that state. There is absolutely no need to produce identification to a peace officer when carrying said weapon when you are not under suspicion of committing a crime.

The above being completely true, I find the fault to be that of the American political and propaganda machine demonizing weapons and those that hold them and not that of the citizen exercising his lawful rights.

Perhaps if most Americans were not so terrified they wouldn't make one more trip through the McDonalds drive through and paid attention to things in America that really matter, LIKE FREEDOM, they wouldn't be urinating down their leg every time they seen a gun.

It can go either way on this, I know the guy is a douche but that doesn't change the fact that in an open carry state you have sheep dialing 911 because somebody has a gun. Ignorance and fear, largely manufactured by today's "uncle sam".
edit on 31-7-2013 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I really like that cop. He threw some great verbal Judo, got what he wanted, and didn't once violate any rights.

This guy is such an assclown. I'm all for people owning ARs, but carrying one around while you walk down the street in an obvious attempt to freak people out and then argue with the police for YouTube fame is stupid, and creates the exact opposite reaction from the public that most gun owners want.

Show this video to someone that is on the fence about gun ownership, they are going to want guns banned.

Get a video of a real gun guy. The guy that would NEVER want to intimidate or cause problems. The guy that would rather get spit on than have to show his gun. The guy that goes out of his way to avoid confrontation because one of his greatest fears is ever having to draw his gun.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I really like that cop. He threw some great verbal Judo, got what he wanted, and didn't once violate any rights.
Hell ya! That helped restore my faith in humanity….he wasn’t going to be trolled.

This guy is such an assclown. I'm all for people owning ARs, but carrying one around while you walk down the street in an obvious attempt to freak people out and then argue with the police for YouTube fame is stupid, and creates the exact opposite reaction from the public that most gun owners want.
It was a good eye-opener about the 2nd amendment. People can see now that even a law abiding assclown can carry a long gun openly. Obviously this goof is more of a show-and-tell kinda guy rather than a shooter. Though I don't blame people who drove by for calling the cops and being vigilant.

edit on 31-7-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I'm normally one of the first people to want to take a dump on the cops lap but in this instance I take my hat off to these officers. They were exceedingly professional and the guy filming the video was exactly who the 1st officer on scene thought he was...an attention whore. He makes the average gun owner look like a fool with his actions. Most of us prefer to avoid the police at all costs, especially when in possession of a firearm. As a few others have stated, he'd be in a world of hurt in most other cities where the police wouldn't have been neaqrly that calm cool and collected when approaching an individual carrying a semi auto rifle in the open in broad daylight. it was a foolish scenario to initiate and the cops actually came out looking like the reasonable ones for once. Kudos to these officers.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I was thinking about him just before I fell asleep last night and I these AR 15's are worth quite a bit of money arn't they? I think he will get robbed of it one day if he continues, he turns a corner two guys with pistols, "drop your gun" he crys drops it and then gets shot with it...oh the irony If that happened.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   
The gentleman going through the 'immigration' checkpoints has brass ones, and he deserves a lot of credit. I have driven across the country numerous times on I-10, back & forth, back & forth. I've always cooperated with the checkpoints. But, I always felt uneasy. The number of surveillance cameras and other intelligence gathering equipment on display is very suspect. I believe, among other things, that this is used to track your travels. My image in their database will tell them that I went eastbound on I-10, then returned going westbound 5 days later. Is that constitutional?

The last time I went across Texas and went through the eastbound 'immigration' checkpoint, the female border patrol agent asked a lot of questions that really concerned me. She asked my name, where i was coming from, where i was going to, why I was traveling, what my profession was, if I owned the vehicle I was in, and if i had any drugs or firearms in the car. Honestly, I'm surprised she didn't ask for my 'papers'. I felt extremely violated.

This type of questioning is, in my opinion, not legal. Like the gentleman in the video said, as an American citizen I have the right to travel anywhere I want within the contiguous 48 states. Yes, it's a dragnet for illegals. Yes, they have drug and bomb sniffing dogs on duty. But take my picture? Record my license plate? Have the dog sniff around my car? C'mon.

I've thought about doing exactly what this guy did. But, after they told me to pull over, I would not have the guts to say no. So, I put up with it. Who wants to be detained when they're traveling like that?

A college buddy of mine was told to pull over at the same checkpoint. He was a TX citizen returning home from school, and his SUV was packed full. They removed every item in his car, and from boxes, and laid it out. Then, they had a drug sniffing dog go over each piece. Did they find anything? Of course not. And he was the one that had to pack it all back up. They didn't lift a finger.

The stop at the AZ/CA border, where they ask if you have any fruit in your vehicle, is very simple and I think they have a good reason for asking. The last thing CA needs is an invasive species or some kind of crop-killing bug that you may bring into their state.

We are led to believe we live in a free country but, if we let them, it won't be long before there are 'immigration' dragnets at every state border.

edit on 1-8-2013 by Synallaxis because: Added a little bit.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by iamhobo

Pretty sure the guy in the vid I'm linking is the same guy (actually never mind, but I can still hear the Aspergers). The cop in my vid makes him look like a complete jackass, which he is. Never mind AGAIN, same guy. What a douche bag.

Doing every gun owner a disservice with this BS.

I love my AR, but if I saw this idiot I would call the cops too.

I love when he tries to get cocky and asks if he's being detained and the cop just goes 'Yes'. This cop was awesome.
edit on 31-7-2013 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-7-2013 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

This cop sure was professional, intelligent, and above all, emotionally balanced.

BUT, I sort of have a problem with the "you show me your gun and I'll show you mine"-mentality. Seems like he couldn't wait to show them his gun, which was "no doubt better than" dumb guy's gun. I can imagine that this might seem normal in Prixville Texas, but come on...

On another note, can you imagine dumb guy in a real life-threatening scenario?

He would probably be the first to pee his pants and would most likely forget that he even had an AR-15 around his neck.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

I live in Virginia, an open carry state, and while I am all for open carry I have never understood why someone would want to bring the attention on themself. Concealed carry is the best option.

(obviously, carrying an AR-15 concealed would be hard to do)
edit on 1-8-2013 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
Here is a question I thought about after watching:

Do the police have the right to identify someone carrying a firearm so assure they are not a felon and prohibited? Is that considered illegal profiling? If so, seems any felon could do the same and move on.

Following that line, shouldn't the cops pull over any driver that they see on the road to make sure that they have a driver's license. I'm not saying checkpoints or random stuff.... I mean EVERY driver should be pulled over EVERY TIME they are spotted driving, using the logic applied to a firearm.
ETA: Don't get me wrong, the guy in the OP video is a douche.
I have never wanted unwarranted attention, so the only time I ever open carried was while hunting.
edit on 1-8-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll
What a total attention seeking di*k head he was!

He's not attention seeking. He's educating people on their rights. I can't even watch the video, youtube says its unavailable. I have seen multiple open carry videos like ones with semi auto ak47's so I'm pretty sure this video is nothing new.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

Why are you bashing a guy that is doing absolutely nothing wrong? If it was against the law to open carry, I'm pretty sure he would be arrested or not even attempt this. Makes gun owners look bad? They already look bad dude, have you been living under a rock? Shouldn't be open carrying in a urban area?
Why not, do you think people are immune to danger in urban areas or something? This thread is ignorant.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Everyone impressed with how respectful the cops were in this video should remember: an armed society is a polite society
edit on 1-8-2013 by riffraff because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by riffraff

true to a certain extent. It really depends on knowledge of local and state laws. if someone tried that in a state like NY with its "safe act" you're asking to get shot at. Wyoming, nobody's gonna bother with you. where I live the last thing I need is for the police to know what I'm armed with or where said arms are located. either way, the person who made the video and purposely engaged with the authorities to see what would happen is running a fools errand from my perspective. at the very least he could have been a little more knowledgeable, a little more level headed and a little less confrontational.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I cant see the video either and while I generally keep to the rule of "Distance from disorder" I have to agree that it sounds like he was doing nothing wrong.
I carry on a daily basis and I do not hesitate to tell people who want to talk about guns that I am carrying. My thought process is that they need to understand that gun owners are like everyone else. They need to again become accustomed to seeing people with guns on a daily basis and not immediatly expecting mayhem.
They guy may have been seeking a confrontation with the police because he was looking to initiate legal action. Rights that are unused are rights that wither on the vine.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Evanzsayz

Did you even watch the video? the guy carrying the AR is obviously peed off the cops knew the law and acted accordingly.
He is not doing it to teach people on their rights he is doing it to get a reaction out of the cops and to get either a lawsuit or a million hits on his Ytube channel.
The cops responded to him because they got 911 calls from concerned members of the public.
Him and his dumb ass buddies didn't need to film it If their true intention was to educate people on their rights, they could have done it without filming it...When the cops pull up you can hear them get all excited...nothing more than media whores not some great patriots.
edit on 5-8-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
The video is gone. So much for it as an educational video. Looks like the internet has spoken and the video lost.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

Nm.
edit on 9-9-2013 by NeoParadigm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
While i may disagree with the timing, this is a person who was executing their rights. It is not up to you or I to decide when others should and should not be free.

Rights are rights. Period. Yes, it may make you uncomfortable. That is your right. BUt this person....they were just doing what is within their rights.

Thus, I say it is everyone else who is wrong.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join