It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recommend me a good laptop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
im going to buy a new laptop tomorrow. i have 500 euro's (650 dollars).
i am totally inept at computer stuff.
i use my laptop for playing poker, watching video's and ATS....
i want a webcam.
dont want mcaffee security
if possible a 17" screen, 15.5 at the very least
ive noticed that toshiba uses mcaffee so they're out
6gb if possible
hd screen
thats it really, very basic.
can anyone recommend a good laptop for me?
its bedtime here, so i'll check back in the morning.
thanks in advance fellow ATS'ers

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SecretKnowledge

Would it not be simpler to visit a computer sales site such as Tiger Direct, or Newegg and simply read the hundreds upon hundreds of customer reviews?

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by AprilFooseball

Would it not be simpler to visit a computer sales site such as Tiger Direct, or Newegg and simply read the hundreds upon hundreds of customer reviews?

yeah it would be if i knew about them
going to check them out now
thanks for the links

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
DELL Inspiron 17R (i17RM-2258sLV) Notebook Intel Core i3 3227U(1.90GHz) 17.3" 6GB Memory DDR3 1600 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW Intel HD Graphics 4000

I don't know if newegg sells to your country but it will give you an idea of what to look for. And if you don't like the anti virus on a laptop just uninstall it and put in another. And if you don't know how to do that just ask someone on here will help.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Any bottom line 300 or so dollar comp would be fine for what you would use it for.
2nd

Gs

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
The two best brands are ASUS and Toshiba.

Consider a better machine that is second hand, just not very old, two years tops.

For what you are using it for, you do not need 6G of ram, 4G would be ample.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Many anti virus programs are free. Use one of them.

P

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Here ya go store.apple.com... you'll be the envy of all your friends.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

A good suggestion.
This machine is still available with Windows 7 too. That would be my additional suggestion.

ETA: BTW. The more memory the better. I don't care if all you use it for is ATS. It still makes a difference.
For an anti-virus. Microsoft Security Essentials. A simple AV that does what it's supposed to do, and does it for free.

edit on 7/31/2013 by Klassified because: eta

posted on Aug, 3 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I usually go with Acer and after looking over and over I found this system to be the best for your price range at $529 US.

www.newegg.com...

It has 4GBs of system ram versus 6GB's others may have. The system ram can be upgradable though. However, where this particular laptop starts to shine is the dedicated (not shared) 2GB's of ram for it's Radeon AMD(ATI) 8750m video card. It has all the bells and whistles expected in a laptop including the Webcam.

posted on Aug, 4 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Suggest to go for Dell Inspiron and ask for "Complete Care Coverage"....If you damage your screen, accidently drop your computer, dunk it in water, it will be replaced with no questions asked...The only thing it doesnt cover is fire and damage by electrical surge.....Besides Dell has good services too....I own a Dell, HP and Asus and Dell is the best when it comes to service.

posted on Aug, 8 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

first you should buy the best you can afford, thats the number 1 and yes I see you have mentioned €500 so that's a decent amount, you need a good processor bigger is better, a good sized hard drive not less than 100gbs and not less than 3gb memory, a very good graphics card preferably not fixed to motherboard, (as in you cant take it off) this way you can upgrade the graphics card when you have some more money saved. like everything you get what you pay for, but if you have some upgrade options i.e. the graphics thats always good. as for anti virus dont turn down a brand just because they package mcafee or any other software you don't like, it makes no difference if they package a bag of tomatoes with it, you dont have to use them. if they provide mcafee that's no problem for you to remove it, and download something like avg antivirus, there is a free version for home use but not free for commercial use, that should suit you as you stated what you wanted to use your laptop for in your post.
anything on your computer you can remove np, even the operating system if you so wish, its not difficult to do, but if you are in any doubt get a friend or dealer to set up your preferred software,
wish you luck but do go to a reputable dealer if you are not too savvy on pc's.....

new topics

top topics

join