It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Groudnbreaking Study Finds Turmeric Extract Superior to Prozac for Depression

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
If you're like me, you aren't comfortable gobbling down any of the current remedies for depression, i.e., Prozac, Paxil, Pexeva, etc. I've heard from various sources that most of these contain sodium fluoride to "force" compliance and docility.

This article may indicate there is something better, as or more effective.... and safe, natural. Turmeric (curcumin) could be the answer. I have been adding this spice to my food for a while for other benefits it can hold. I believe our information levels on the true benefits of spice(s) is controlled to a large degree.

Of course the reasons for not wanting people to know and understand alternative remedies, are evident to most.
Here's a link to the story on the study. www.altheadlines.com...

".......We observed that curcumin was well tolerated by all the patients. The proportion of responders as measured by the HAM-D17 scale was higher in the combination group (77.8%) than in the fluoxetine [Prozac] (64.7%) and the curcumin (62.5%) groups; however, these data were not statistically significant (P = 0.58). Interestingly, the mean change in HAM-D17 score at the end of six weeks was comparable in all three groups (P = 0.77). This study provides first clinical evidence that curcumin may be used as an effective and safe modality for treatment in patients with MDD without concurrent suicidal ideation or other psychotic disorders. [emphasis added]...."

edit on Wed Jul 31 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: ALL CAPS in title and EX TAGS added

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by be4ne1

##snipped##

Im not not saying im living a full happy life from sun up to sun down day after day, but if you show me someone who does live that way, I will show you someone that is not true to themselves and not true to there loved ones.

Life sucks sometimes. Sometimes life is more beautiful than one can ever imagine. Its how we live each moment that matters, whether that moment be good or bad.
edit on Wed Jul 31 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: drug use reference removed

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

Agree, Doc. The only thing that really depresses me when and if I should drink and smoke, is to see someone else get depressed when they do it. It tells me they more than likely were already depressed; Then they just accentuate the problem, ruining what should otherwise be a release from everyday nuisances.

I did that sometimes when I was a kid, but somehow I was able to be more 'constructive' with my altered states. Since then, I've been the happiest drunk (those times when I might get thataway) I know. Haven't ruined a buzz in decades. I no longer waste that time.

Just feel the need to clarify, I'm not a drunk or even a heavy drinker. I've had two Samuel Adams in my frig for over a year. But I've for sure had my moments.........

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   
If you can survive without ssri's, don't take one. Working in management I have watched numerous employees deteriorate rapidly after being prescribed an ssri, they nearly always ended up on additional medication to treat psychotic symptoms and they were all told that this is becuase the ssri alleviated their depression exposing a larger underlying psychotic illness, and I believed that until I got talked into taking an ssri myself. Now I have what are permanent schizophrenic like symptoms with wonderful random hallucinations daily and delusions that make it impossible for me to work, and a criminal history that began shortly after beginning an ssri caused by ssri induced psychosis. It doesn't go away if you stop taking it, and considering how easy it is to replicate psychotic symptoms in laboratory animals taking minute amounts of ssri's, I've stopped listening to Dr.'s advice in regard to them. Really wish I had listened to the horror stories online about this line of medication becuase they are all true, and can not be exaggerated. When you develop a major psychological problem while taking an ssri Dr.'s will automatically tell you that it is a preexisting condition and in no way related to the ssri, and they believe that but a 400% increase in newly diagnosed psychotic illness in the population of ssri users tells a very different story. They are extremely addictive, toxic, and undoubtedly responsible for turning many otherwise law abiding citizens into mass murdering psychopaths.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Turmeric is fairly awesome - anti depressant is just one of the effects, it is an anti carcinogenic.

Wherever and whenever - get behind the natural solutions, because they are much harder to centrally control, exploit for profit - and almost always less harmful to the human systems.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Hi,

Nice question..

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Turmeric has long been used in India, where it is a venerable ingredient in Ayurvedic medicine, used to heal wounds and treat skin conditions such as psoriasis.

For more details go through this link it is helpful for me and i think is is helpful to you..

foods4betterhealth

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
There is no such thing as depression. It is all just made up by the pharmaceutical companies to make money off people. Doctors are in on it as well. You want a good cure for your depression? Get a punching bag or do some intense exorcise. That is the best thing you can do for yourself. I am sorry I had a friend commit suicide because he said he was depressed. The problem is, is that he didn't want to get off the god damn couch to do something about it. He was addicted to his depression pills. It was all psychosomatic. He didn't need them. Unfortunately he is gone now and now I have no tolerance for people begging for something be wrong with them. We are human there is not a damn thing wrong with you or anybody else.
sorry had to get it out. Nothin against your OP. This is for the people who read this hoping to find the next best thing.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Awesome! I'm all about natural remedies.

I believe depression is a real thing, but I don't think it's us that needs to change or be medically changed. The problem is not us it's our way of life. Have any of you looked at the statistics on the number of people who are on prescription medication for "depression" these days? It is a STAGGERING number of people. The majority.

We weren't meant to be debt and wage slaves running on an endless rat-wheel with our only purpose in life consuming products manufactured for us by slave labor in 3rd world countries. We need to wake up, take back the governments from the corporations, end the resource rape/theft of the third world, and start living authentic lifestyles or we're doomed.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidWalker
There is no such thing as depression.

Oh. Really?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidWalker

Well, I'm not going to argue this particular point with you ("No such thing as depression"). But I know that the 'emotions' I experience, at times are depressing. I'm basically a very happy-go-lucky kinda guy. Most of time, I'm truly the "life of the party" so to speak. But then, like a night time intruder, in it comes. A blanket of darkness and despair that engulfs me.... and stays there sometimes for days.

This isn't natural. I'm not a druggie, I don't drink enough to even speak of. I have no 'issues' surrounding me or my life. I'm satisfied and content. I want for nothing. But this 'thing'..... it creeps around and bothers me. I don't think I am imagining it. I don't think I bring it on myself. I sincerely believe it's a mental quirk that has found a home, albeit temporary for the most part. I'd much rather it just packed up and left me alone. I have no "Welcome Depression" signs on me. I believe, in my case, it's a real, physical condition. Wish I was wrong!

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidWalker
There is no such thing as depression. It is all just made up by the pharmaceutical companies to make money off people. Doctors are in on it as well. You want a good cure for your depression? Get a punching bag or do some intense exorcise. That is the best thing you can do for yourself. I am sorry I had a friend commit suicide because he said he was depressed. The problem is, is that he didn't want to get off the god damn couch to do something about it. He was addicted to his depression pills. It was all psychosomatic. He didn't need them. Unfortunately he is gone now and now I have no tolerance for people begging for something be wrong with them. We are human there is not a damn thing wrong with you or anybody else.
sorry had to get it out. Nothin against your OP. This is for the people who read this hoping to find the next best thing.

All you have demonstrated with your post is that you don't have depression nor empathy.

Human emotional states are chemically driven and everybody's response to emotional circumstances is slightly different. Anti-depressants do help people, even if it is also true that they have side effects and are over prescribed.

The reason why I can speak about this is because I am an example of someone who is highly functional and usually never depressed, but have encountered circumstances in my life that led to profound depression. I have seen and felt what it is like to be depressed for months.

All it takes is for a perfectly normal person to lose the things they take for granted and love the most to slide into depression, that is, not even counting people who are prone to depression regardless of circumstances in the first place.

I hope you never find yourself losing your job, spouse, financial future and health all at once, (possibly losing your home?) that alone would drive pretty much any normal person into depression.

-rrr
edit on 1-8-2013 by rickyrrr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I don't think people have actually read the findings of the study properly, also, the name of the thread is very misleading. According to the study, prozac on it's own is actually superior to curcumin, but a COMBINATION of prozaz/fluoxetine and curcumin is superior to prozac. It is misleading to say that curcumin is superior to prozac, because simply put, it isn't. Most importantly, the findings were actually not significant as the probability of the results occurring by chance is 58%... This study therefore carries very weak results as p=0.58 is a very weak standard for experiments. Also, this is the first study of it's kind so it hasn't proven anything yet.

Anyway, I think it's great they're testing this as it would obviously be safer than any SSRI, or any other antidepressant for that matter. Hopefully more accurate studies will take place soon which will support this

And seriously, there is no such thing as depression? Ah I was about to write a reply but to be honest there isn't much point with arguing with someone with such an awful viewpoint on depression. Get up and do something about it? Try doing that if you are really suffering from depression. I'd like you to walk in the shoes of someone with severe depression so you can really see what it's like.
edit on 1-8-2013 by Phess because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by rickyrrr

Guess ya got me there. You're apparently one of those rare individuals who can diagnose, treat and cure all your own ailments. "Lacking empathy...." On this characterization, all I can say to that is.. You Are Dead Wrong!! Where the Hades did you imagine THAT from??
edit on 8/1/2013 by be4ne1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by be4ne1

I think you crossed signals there... he wasn't addressing you, just the armchair psychologist who proclaimed there's no such thing as depression... just laziness. Voidwalker, was it? Ironic name, that. Though sorry about his friend.

To those that think depression is purely circumstantial, a trendy diagnosis or whining, I have to say I hope you're never set straight on this point personally.

It truly is a chemical (and/or spiritual - who knows) imbalance. Being devoid of joy and hope for long periods is pure hell and I feel for those of us experiencing it.

If an herb combats this effectively without the mess associated with some and SSRIs, then great!

edit on 8/1/2013 by Baddogma because: clarity

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Krishnamurti: “It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.”

I'm amazed at how many people seem happy, when the world is utterly insane.

Thank you for the information, OP. I've been taking curcumin myself for almost 6 months (for a 'mild' cancer) and I can't say I notice any difference in my mental state, but perhaps every little bit helps.

I'm generally one of those 'the glass is cracked and there's green goop leaking all over the place!' persons, anyways.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by rickyrrr

As stated above, I definitely got my wires crossed. So sorry for the erroneous reply to your comment!!!!!

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by VoidWalker

There are many different kinds of depression. You are right when you suggest that activity/exercise can wipe away some of the depression.

However, there are people with chemical issues that maybe treatable with pills. It's not a crutch and it's not a placebo.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
You know what else is a great remedy for depression?

A good swift kick in the ass.

Side effects may include: a sore bottom

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MrPlow

Gotta say I was with you until I "got" it.

The reality is different when it's you experiencing it. Everyone get's "blue" on occasion, but there are different degrees and situations and a situational depression might effectively be cured by action, but some are most definitely a chemical imbalance which a "swift kick in the ass" won't shake loose.

Just sayin'. Though your remedy might actually work in the "whinier" cases... but I do know some folks with the more serious kind that weren't helped by social and physical activities or even drugs... they opted for ECT... which I can't help but seeing as a barbaric and brutal remedy that might result in a cure almost worse than the cause ... but then again they had no choice as they saw it.

Someone wouldn't go through brain fry if they really didn't have any more options. And having electricity shot through one's head seems pretty "kick ass" to me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join