It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foc.us: The first commercial tDCS headset that lets you safely overclock your brain

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Hello

Foc.us is a new brain-boosting tDCS headset that jolts your prefrontal cortex with electricity, improving your focus, reaction time, and ability to learn new skills.

It says it is aimed at gamers looking to improve their skillz, but tDCS has the potential to improve ,or more accurately to overclock almost every aspect of your life.

To give its full name, tDCS stands for transcranial direct current stimulation. Transcranial simply means that the direct current (i.e. from a battery rather than the AC mains) is passed across a region of your brain. In the case of the Foc.us, the direct current passes between the cathode and anode, which are placed over your prefrontal cortex. Basically, by pumping electrons into your brain, your neurons, which communicate via spikes of electricity, become more excitable. This means that they can fire more quickly, improving your reaction time. Furthermore, when you remove the current, your neurons are imbued with additional neuroplasticity — in other words, they more readily make new connections, improving your ability to learn new skills

My son is a big gamer, he travels to other cities to play halo tournaments all the time..

I know from him that there are a lot of gamers that take unprescribed adderol because they think it makes them focus and play better

So if this can curb that even a little bit it's an awesome invention

But there is also a ton of other stuff this might help with, like maybe you can focus on driving better or studying for that test.

there could be some serious ethical considerations if tDCS becomes widespread. Should students be allowed to use tDCS to improve their studies or to pass exams? What about professional e-sports gamers? If one team starts using tDCS to improve their reaction time and actions per minute (APM), other teams will have no option but to start using it — unless tDCS becomes the electronic equivalent of doping and is quickly outlawed, of course

It has fcc approval and will start selling for 249$ in a couple of days, I hope Best Buy has a try it before you buy it like with the 3-d tvs

www.extremetech.com...

edit on 30-7-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
That is too crazy cool or just plan crazy - I dunno, but I'm intrigued.
It seems to me that this could very well be the first step down the road of merging man with machine.
Is that a good idea? It doesn't really matter, because I think we've all come to the conclusion that
we don't have the ability to stop, or even the real desire to stop technological progress, no matter the
consequences.

So... I want one.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

I wonder if something like this could help with a condition like ADD.

And I want one!

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Personally, this makes me intensely uncomfortable, especially in that it's marketed towards gamers, who generally tend to be younger. I can very easily imagine a few hundred teenage boys that would try this out for a chance to kill me in a game on a regular basis (champ gamer).
It's not the thought of actually having some competition in a game that gives me trepidation, however, lol. It's the question of whether or not this product will be used in a safe manner or if it will be misused/overused--something which I could very easily see occurring knowing so many gamers.

I have to agree with Barbara Sahakian, a neuroscientist from Cambridge on this one:

"These are powerful tools, and when we do these studies we have to consider the risk benefit analysis. I don't think we know enough about the long-term safety of these techniques to justify using them on the developing brains of children."

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Being religious, this kind of stuff scares me - not the device, but what God will do about it.

The device forces the adaptation and alteration of life in order to "improve" it. That notion, I assume, would piss God off...and what's it even for? To beat someone in competition?

I think we shouldn't force the adaptations of evolution in order to get what we want or think we need.

...just my thoughts.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleeeeep
reply to post by goou111

Being religious, this kind of stuff scares me - not the device, but what God will do about it.

The device forces the adaptation and alteration of life in order to "improve" it. That notion, I assume, would piss God off...and what's it even for? To beat someone in competition?

I think we shouldn't force the adaptations of evolution in order to get what we want or think we need.

...just my thoughts.

Surprisingly enough, Bleeeep, as an atheist, I feel the same exact way. Taking God out of the context, I come to the same opinion in that we are born and develop in a certain way and when has mucking with nature every been without issue or negative side effect? Kind of like using steroids. In a sense, I'm echoing your same trepidation--don't muck with what God built because we're not all seeing and all knowing about the consequences.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Bleeeeep

Take a look around you, most of what you see was probably originally created by/for the military, which is a competitive force. Including the internet. That has drastically changed the world, and increased knowledge on a massive scale, while creating many ways to commit evils inconceivable by the people who invented your god.

Don't spend your life waiting or hoping a god will step in to correct man's wrongs. Because he either does not exist or does not care. Don't you think if god was going to do anything about us he'd have stepped in by now, especially as people are capable of unleashing enough explosives on the planet to wipe out most life?

Besides, who knows, maybe a device that can increase people's intelligence might actually be a positive thing, and they will start to see where they are going wrong and be able to figure out how to fix it. So playing devil's advocate, the saying is "the lord works in mysterious ways" and he could have inspired this device to help us work things out.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Perhaps if I was using one of these right now, I would be able to tell wether I am more excited or terrified by this device. I wouldnt be using it for mere gaming. If you need one of these to play bloody Halo (which is one of the easiest shooters going, no matter wether you play online or not) you probably need lobotomising and placing in sheltered accomodation, but if I had one of these, you can bet your bottom dollar that I would use it as a learning aid.

For example, though I have vast stores of totally useless data on topics from physics to politics, if I had something like that kicking about the place, I would sit myself down with several books on a subject that I have never been particularly astounding at, that being mathematics, and cram like a fat bloke at a pie eating contest. At the same time, I am terrified by the possibilities this presents, because quite frankly, my mind freaks me out already to be quite honest. I mean, can you imagine what it would be like, to research subjects for ATS with something like this augmenting ones concentration?

I fear that the end result of such augmentation for someone as clearly unbalanced as myself could be catastrophic for humanity. Borg anyone?

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
This technology has the potential to change many peoples lives. Not now, as it is fairly new. But in a year or so when it becomes more advanced, this will be life changing!

Not for gamers, not even for the adverage people. But for many people suffering with injuries.

imagine the effect this could have on stroke victims who are struggling to regain their lost motor skills? Or using this device with the new robotic prothetic limps that are emerging, alzimers, maybe even parkinsons.

The advances of this device could be priceless!

I just hope it goes down that route, and not military, but sadly, i believe that this was most likely developed (or if not, funded) by some military connection.

I hate to think like this, but sadly whenever we create something that could save or change peoples lives for the better, we always test it's ability by killing or destroying someones life to the point at which they wish they were killed instead.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Wow self administered electro convulsive therapy !!

while the device (may) stimulate ones neurons short term i dread to think what the long term
effects could be ?
personally i would not touch one with a ten foot pole thanks.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Looks to me to be technology continuing its path toward the destruction of humanity. What happened to just enjoying the fresh air, eating whole natural food, gazing at blue skies, communing with nature, loving animals and engaging with family, friends and loved ones (face to face) without a cell phone in hand.

Time to get cracked up on some new gadget to once again distract us toward finding spiritual and personal fulfillment.

I am curious why we never seek out to search for our true and loving God, who offers us so many wonderful blessings and true wisdom, guidance and inspiration. I will take this over any man made gadget.

This is a step backwards like so much of technology... more competition for the average Joe. One day we will all die. I would rather be preparing myself for what is to come than be distracted with what is artificial.

Steroids to excel equals early cardiac arrest. Wonderful. I see where this is leading... but I think I am the only one who saw the invent of smart phones and even the original Palm gadgets as taking us away from what truly mattered.

I miss the old days. I am probably too old, like my grand father before me thinking the old ways were being lost and the future ever more dark.
edit on 30-7-2013 by GoldenVoyager because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenVoyager

For me personally I already have my faith, and I require no technological assistance with that. In fact my spiritual existence is something I cherish deeply. But I also value information, because increasingly in this day and age, having it or not is the difference between succeeding and failing, freedom and servitude, life and death. Just because I have a spiritual life, and believe in an afterplace, does not mean that I treat my fleshly existence as if it has no value, and although I would not wish to live for ever, I would hate to squander the gift of life, bestowed upon me by my creator.

To that end, as bizzare as it may seem, I think I would take advantage of this system, if it would indeed allow me to learn more about the things which interest me, and fill the gaps in my understanding somewhat. Mathematics is a basic requirement for many things in life, and something I struggle with. Because an understanding and capability in that particular realm is increasingly important if one is to live life free of the shackles of modern oppression by those who are essentially the new Romans, I believe it would be irresponsible not to take advantage of the possible benifits that something like this offers, if indeed it can assist with learning and data absorbtion.

Its freaky, and a little scary, but there again, so was the thought of the Earth being vaugely spherical, rather than a flat disc. Faith should never be equal to ignorance.
edit on 30-7-2013 by TrueBrit because: added detail.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Having read the article the following can be stated:

The potential here is one that could be a benefit for many people who suffer from say Parkinsons, or any other number of diseases that affect the brain and memory, such as Alzheimers. If it could be used to say reverse the damage done by the diseases, to allow for a person to get back to as close to normal, slowing the disease, along with allowing for the brain to strenghten.

While I would not allow for a normal person to use it, other than to study, but so far it looks like it could be a non invasive way to help out those who have problems and shows the greatest potential for not a cure but an alleviation of the end result of disease.

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

I feel you may be submitting to a slippery slope argument however. Why are steroids and learning-enhancing devices wrong whereas antibiotics, and vaccines, and genetic testing are okay?

posted on Jul, 30 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhiteAlice
Personally, this makes me intensely uncomfortable, especially in that it's marketed towards gamers, who generally tend to be younger. I can very easily imagine a few hundred teenage boys that would try this out for a chance to kill me in a game on a regular basis (champ gamer).
It's not the thought of actually having some competition in a game that gives me trepidation, however, lol. It's the question of whether or not this product will be used in a safe manner or if it will be misused/overused--something which I could very easily see occurring knowing so many gamers.

I have to agree with Barbara Sahakian, a neuroscientist from Cambridge on this one:

"These are powerful tools, and when we do these studies we have to consider the risk benefit analysis. I don't think we know enough about the long-term safety of these techniques to justify using them on the developing brains of children."

www.bbc.co.uk...

I agree 100%. Lots of devices get " approved" patented, made and sold claiming benefits. Unless there are long term studies with duplicatable results on safety this item should never hit the market.

I also wanna see long term studies as to the effectiveness of this device. Once this company starts making a boat load of money on this device they can and generally will fake data from any studies that could disprove it's safety. Thats why it's so important those studies are done first and by multiple independent labs.

This thing isn't just shaking your belly to lose weight - it's hammering your brain with raw electricity. More care need to be involved.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Just call me Louis Wu - I love it when imaginative sci-fi authors predict our predestined outcome. Larry Niven is probably right about his multiple Edens theory too.

Can't wait to buy one. Even though that it can stop your heart if positioned incorrectly (80s had something similar, a device that enabled you to see basic colors and shapes with your eyes closed). The leads were placed around the ocular area of the face via pads on a goggle device.

I agree with the device's ability to stop pain and induce euphoria. Had a similar effect back in the early 90s while in the dentist office. They used a shock device to gauge tooth pain. When the technician placed it on my K9s, I felt high...and I didn't want it to stop, so I let it ride... I got yelled at for not letting her know when I felt pain....I faked it and said, 'now.'

So I imagine it'll assist in speeding up memory and learning, but the long term effects have yet to be established. Addiction could be a side effect. Think Niven called it current addiction.

S&F for bringing back old memories.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   
After reading some of the posts on here I have to wonder, WTF has God got to do with technology?
Where the heck did you get that from, that God would care about a piece of tech that can be used to IMPROVE you?
Where was God when 2 planes collided with the World Trade Centre buildings and in effect started the war of terror that has claimed thousands of lives over the years?
Where has God been when Apple used slave labour to build your Iphones?
If this device can be used to improve Humankind then is it an issue to God?
Why even bring religion into it?
Sure you have your faith in God and I would jump at the chance to improve my mind, but I cannot feel that sometimes there is an ulterior motive to these new toys and that it can be used to devolve, now that would be evil, but then the same can be said for TV and other technologies.

Surely God in whatever form would appreciate that we are trying to better ourselves on our own rather than wasting our time waiting for him to do it for us? What are we lazy?
And if we can better ourselves surely its better to do it than simply sit back and do nothing other than stagnating as we are currently doing?.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   
In tests with such devices on rats, they would shock their brains thousands of times per hour to the point of starvation (Olds J. "Self-Stimulation of the Brain." Science”. 1958; 127:315-324). In similar tests on people, they would also shock themselves over a thousand times per hour, not to the point of starvation (because they weren't allowed to), but they neglected all else and protested each time the device was taken away. In other words, electricity is among the most addictive substance on Earth - and it will be commercially available in the next few days.

This gave me an idea. While this device is positioned to stimulate the prefrontal cortex, if one were built to stimulate the lateral hypothalamus or septal region of the brain (which is pleasurable), people would unwittingly kill themselves using the device. Well... what better way to reduce population, and particularly targeting people of low intelligence and willpower?

Yeah yeah it sounds morbid now. But in 20 years, let's revisit, shall we?

Also, tangentially, say you have an unbearable terminal illness. What better way to die, than to forget to live, due to intense pleasure at the press of a button?

Personally, I'll never touch a device like this. But, just about every macroscopic species on Earth "gets" the concept of ecological harmonic balance except for humans. Why not fight biological fire with fire?
edit on 31-7-2013 by Samtzurr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Just bought one ....

-------

I actually have ADHD, so we'll see if this can help me out on some of my college work without having to use medication.

Almost done with my second degree so im not sure if this a good test or not; possibly just use to useless college work.

------

If i get brain cancer im going to be pissed ...
edit on 31-7-2013 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

Would you mind letting me know how that works out, what your initial impressions of the device are? I would dearly like to know, since I am considering getting one of these to assist me with a couple of subjects that I currently under perform in.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join