It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Viking Jewellery Unearthed in Denmark

page: 1

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Several pieces of Viking jewellery, some of which contain gold, have been uncovered at a farm site in Denmark that dates as far back as 1,300 years.

A copper alloy piece of jewellery found at the farmstead in Denmark shows an animal figure with a beadlike chain around its neck.

Archaeologists working with volunteers used metal detectors to find the jewelry in different spots throughout a farmstead on Zealand, the largest island in Denmark. The remains of the site, which is now called Vestervang, date from the late seventh to the early 11th centuries. Finding such lavish goods at such a modest farm site poses a puzzle, the archaeologists said. The reason why the farm site would hold such treasure may lie in a legendary site located nearby.

This brooch appears to be from continental Europe. The artifact was made between A.D. 500-750, apparently predating the Viking age farm site. It's possible that it was acquired by a non-Christian at the site through exchange.

Partly gilded with gold this oval brooch contains dozens of tiny incisions along with raised areas and swirling decorations. It dates to between AD 850-950.

A fragment of a small brooch decorated in gilded relief. It dates to around the 8th century AD.

A fragment of a "trefoil" (three lobed) brooch decorated in relief, it dates to between AD 850–950. Its design shows influence from a European culture known as Carolingian.

Another trefoil brooch, this one with all three of its lobes preserved. Carved with geometric motifs it is believed to date to the late 8th or early 9th century AD.

This copper alloy brooch, gilded with gold, is "decorated with three sets of double-horned, heart shaped spirals in low relief."

These discoveries leave researchers with a mystery. What is such rich jewelry doing at a modest agricultural settlement? The answer may lie in a legendary site, named Lejre, which is located about 6 miles (10 kilometers) south-southeast of Vestervang, no more than three hours away by foot and boat. "Legend has it that this was the place where the first Danish dynasty, the Scyldings, had its royal seat," writes Tom Christensen, also of the Roskilde Museum, in an article published in the book "Settlement and Coastal Research in the Southern North Sea Region" (Verlag Marie Leidorf, 2010). He notes that some members of this dynasty even appeared in the famous poem "Beowulf."

Well I think the jewellery is just stunning! would'nt mind a nice viking brooch myself

Here is a link for more information on the find -
Link

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Interesting and beautiful!
Nice find!

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Great find, amazing artisans the vikings

Not just lovers of Spam.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Thank you.
It's always nice to see artifacts from our ancestors found to give us greater insight into how they lived.
S+F!

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
That first piece looks very similar to some Mayan petroglyphs.

Also, the human faces seem to have some sort of apparatus coming out of their mouths, I wonder what it is?

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by holyTerror

The first is obviously an Alien Breathing Apparatus.
The second one is obviously a UFO.
Duh!

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Lovely...makes me want to sharpen my trowel!
S&F4U!

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by holyTerror

yeah that's funny it reminded me of 'Mayan' when I seen the first picture, quite similar to this Mayan medallion design -

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
...that first one...
that doesn't strike me as an animal at all.
...and if you flip it vertically... there's another, more humanoid, figure at the bottom. It almost looks like a god or mythological creature at the top, with a natural flow of the design in and down toward the humanoid at the bottom. gods imparting wisdom, perhaps?

edit on 24-7-2013 by Awen24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

The medallion also seems to have had two parts(pieces) that are missing from the lower left and right, probably something that has/was broken away or dissolved, perhaps paint or wood.

Always like Viking things S & F
edit on 24/7/13 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Thanks

Nice and interesting detail on the first piece shared. With that piece it does appear to be Gods in some sort of expression. Interesting when more detail is found. Maybe it's jewelery from another culture, collected during their trading...etc., not yet shared.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Hmmmm, I'm descended from the House of Yngling. Pretty sure that means, by right of blood, those pretty baubles belong to me. Muahahahaha! Better start writing that letter to Denmark demanding the family heirlooms back!

Very cool find.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   
'Viking Jewellery Unearthed in Denmark'

Well, I guess that would be the right place to find it....

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Just some trinkets from the usual raping and pillaging. Doesn't look in any way Danish or Scandinavian. Maybe the person who buried them was killed during the German occupation?

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Wonder how many lives were taken by the Viking to gift the jewelry to her beloved

Interesting find. However the link between vikings and mayans is questionable. They might have inherited some of the pieces and were taken back through their many voyages and from the locals they conquered?

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lady_Tuatha

This particular piece here looks to be a clay press seal with a Ka figure, bird head. Looks very old. And I mean old if not in fact in style. Anyone here recognize it?
edit on 25-7-2013 by Logarock because: n

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Awesome stuff

I've been fascinated by the Vikings for a long time, and have even managed to collect a few artifacts over the years. (through ebay)

Nothing as intricate as some of those pieces though, mostly pendants and a brooch. It amazing the things you can tell about a culture from their artifacts.

I find the resemblance to the Mayan faces REALLY interesting.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Super cool find!
I'm amazed that the artifacts are in such good shapes despite how old they have been.

Beautiful

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

Yeah upon looking at it again I think it may be a representation of Odin or Thor

posted on Jul, 28 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
AWESOME! Thanks for posting!

new topics

top topics

join