It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Noises in tourist's head were from flesh-eating maggots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
This is not for the squeamish at heart.

A British woman had gone on a vacation to Peru, and when she returned, she was experiencing headaches and pain down one side of her face. And one morning when she awoke, there was liquid on her pillow.

Rochelle Harris, 27, said she remembered dislodging a fly from her ear while in Peru but thought nothing more of it until she started getting headaches and pains down one side of her face and woke up in Britain one morning with liquid on her pillow.

Thinking she had a routine ear infection caused by a mosquito bite, she sought medical treatment at the Royal Derby Hospital in northern England, where a consultant noticed maggots in a small hole in her ear-canal.

www.reuters.com...

At first the Doctors tried first to flush the maggots out of the ear using olive oil. But that didn't work.
So they resorted to surgery and found a "writhing mass of maggots" within her ear, raising concern they could eat into her brain.
The surgery removed a family of eight maggots. Analysis found that a New World Army Screw Worm fly had laid eggs inside Harris's ear.

"I was very scared. Were they in my brain?" said Harris, recounting her ordeal in a new Discovery Channel documentary series called "Bugs, Bites and Parasites" to be aired in the UK from July 21.

Scared, I'd be petrified!

Thank goodness they caught it in time.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I think I speak for a vast majority of people when I say EWWWWW OMG AHHHH

Is the moral of the story to wear earplugs in other countries or all the time or something?
I don't understand!

In theory that could very well happen with many a type of bug, no?
And assuming they did hatch they wouldn't last too long in there I would gather.

Just one of those things that happens because it can, the fly saw an opportunity and went for it.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I know a fella here in West Yorkshire who came back from holiday and he got that flesh eating bug on his Johnson, he was to embarrassed to go to the doctors and when he did they had to cut it off

Poor woman hope she is ok now btw.
edit on 23-7-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Reminds me of the urban myth where a someone returns from holiday with a boil on their face, scratches it and hundreds of spiders pile out...

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
I know a fella here in West Yorkshire who came back from holiday and he got that flesh eating bug on his Johnson, he was to embarrassed to go to the doctors and when he did they had to cut it off

Admit it, it was you wasn't it!

Seems like a good opportunity for an ear plug supplier

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

That is just horrible and pitiful........

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
I think I speak for a vast majority of people when I say EWWWWW OMG AHHHH

Indeed you do yourmaker. at the very least I can see this causing a serious phobia. Just reading about it makes me want to take a long hot shower.

Penny

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Okay It was me

I thought it was just a rash and then my willy dropped off...sniff,sniff Waaaaaaaa!
I shouldn't of stuck it in that hole..Waaaaaa!

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Did they cut off the flesh eating bug or did they cut off his Johnson?

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I'm confused, I thought maggots only ate dead flesh? Maybe she had some sort of preexisting infection in her ear that allowed the fly to gain foothold in her body.

Unless these are some scary type of maggot that eats alive as well as dead flesh.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I seem to recall it was inside him and they had to do a load of plastic surgery because it started eating part of his leg also, for starters it ate Mr johnson then for the main meal it moved over for a bit of leg meat.

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

reply to post by VoidHawk

Okay It was me

I thought it was just a rash and then my willy dropped off...sniff,sniff Waaaaaaaa!
I shouldn't of stuck it in that hole..Waaaaaa!

No willy
Is that why you gotta pussy in your avatar?

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

reply to post by littled16

I seem to recall it was inside him and they had to do a load of plastic surgery because it started eating part of his leg also, for starters it ate Mr johnson then for the main meal it moved over for a bit of leg meat.

Eww, that is just plain gnarly!!

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by James1982
I'm confused, I thought maggots only ate dead flesh? Maybe she had some sort of preexisting infection in her ear that allowed the fly to gain foothold in her body.

Unless these are some scary type of maggot that eats alive as well as dead flesh.

This is not true. SOME maggots only eat dead flesh, some will eat any flesh. Depends on the species.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   
OMG
How horrible and scary as all get out!!!! You know how to set all our teeth on edge Snarky

When I was working, we got a patient with half of her brain gone, eaten by something. Nano Zombies?

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
OMG
How horrible and scary as all get out!!!! You know how to set all our teeth on edge Snarky

When I was working, we got a patient with half of her brain gone, eaten by something. Nano Zombies?

Yeah, pretty flexible.
From Avatar creations to maggot eating thread......

Oh, I did a comedy one here too.
Never a dull moment...
:

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Maggots only eat rotten flesh so....and I was eating just as I read this ...now I'm not .

new topics

top topics

join