It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy Scouts shun obese members as controversy continues

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TheToastmanCometh

First I am only replying to the OP then I will get to others when I read the rest of the thread. I am an Eagle Scout and I was invited to be part of the Staff for this particular Jamboree, after seeing what the qualifications were I was disgusted to say the least. When I was in Scouting, I was a little heavy, but not to the point that I was unable to do anything we went out and did. We had a couple of boys who were on the large side, but we always helped them out and they generally had a great time. Today, I am a bit heavier than then...heck I like food, what can I say. I have lost 50 lbs and continue to do so...but yet even though I am in good health, that makes me some how not able to be Staff? I found it disappointing to say the least. I have worked as Staff at other events and outdoor events for Scouting over the years without a medical issue. No, I think this has to do strictly with someone's misguided approach to the problem.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Your ignorant American presentation gets a star from me Beez

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Montana
Well, this thread has all kinds of disinformation in it, I'm not sure if it was intentional or not.

In years past, the National Jamboree was held in and around Washington, D.C. This year it is being held at Summit Bechtel Family National Scout Reserve. This site is a High Adventure site due to it's distance from hospital and other emergency services. The obesity requirement has always been a condition of High Adventure events. It is not something new, it is just being applied to the Jamboree for the first time because of the new location in the West Virginia mountains.

It is not a "Physical fitness test' it is a maximum Body Mass Index of 40.0.

Someone is considered morbidly obese if he or she is 100 pounds over his or her ideal body weight and has a BMI of 40.0..... Used to determine an individual’s ideal physical condition, BMI calculations have become increasingly popular in determining the specifics of one’s fitness. BMIs of 25.0 to 29.9 fall in the overweight range, while those with 30.0 or higher are considered obese. The average American male has a BMI of 28.5, with females reporting 29.0. Approximately 17 per cent of American children between ages 2 and 19 are considered obese, figures that have doubled for children and tripled for adolescents over the past 20 years, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

It should be common sense that someone who has a BMI of 40.0 presents a much higher risk of physical failure requiring immediate emergency medical help. The Jamboree site is too far from these services for the safety of someone in that level of danger.
edit on 7/16/2013 by Montana because: Not blaming the OP!

Actually it was held at Fort A.P. Hill ( a US Army Post) until a legal case went through at the Federal Level about the Scouts keeping Gays out, then they lost the use of the Post. Funny about these requirements, I do not recall ever seeing them for any High Adventure Camp.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evil_Santa
As a former boyscout i see no issues with this. A lot of the activities at jamborees require a level of fitness that the an obese child wouldn't be able to accomplish, and the organization would be wasting time/money by allowing them to come.

Yes, but the boys or their parents who are paying the bill and the medical treatment is needed. No if there is an issue with the remoteness of the base, then they were not being "Prepared." I do not recall an event at any scout camp, OA event, Jamboree, trail building or maintenance or Eagle Scout Project, nor 50 miler award a larger kid was unable to do.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Actually, maybe some of y'all should read up on BMI, on how it really doesnt measure physical fitness, and how many NFL and NBA players couldnt pass this BMI standard, yet suffer through grueling practices and are actually paid for physical activity. Maybe if y'all did this I wouldn't have to read through 4 pages of derp again.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I recall we had the Boy Scouts and the Voortrekkers (a similar Afrikaans organization, but more cultural).

Their task was also to keep boys fit for the army.

If the organizations that once kept boys fit are now rejecting them for being unfit that seems a tad self-defeating.

They should at least run a program for those who fail the fitness test to become more fit.

Boys always had different body shapes, and a few were fat.
Some films and books always implied that fat boys were bullied, but I didn't find this in my childhood.
They could pack quite a punch.

Perhaps "fat" then was different to "fat" nowadays.
Today one can see people who are so fat that they are virtually disabled.

I suppose if you can't climb over a hurdle or crawl underneath one, normal activity could be a sheer health risk.

Still, it's a strange idea for kids to go to a fat farm before the Scouts, because in my day such groups were the fat farm.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowMaster

Actually it was held at Fort A.P. Hill ( a US Army Post) until a legal case went through at the Federal Level about the Scouts keeping Gays out, then they lost the use of the Post. Funny about these requirements, I do not recall ever seeing them for any High Adventure Camp.

Then you didn't look, The requirements are an integral part of the yearly medical fitness form. Has been for many years. They are in effect when attending high adventure, or any activity more than 30 minutes from full medical care. (I think 30 minutes, not sure I am remembering correctly.)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
A link to the medical notes to parents and physicians about attending High Adventure events.

Link

A link to the part of the annual medical and health form that must be filled and signed by a physician at least once a year if a Scout is attending any event that lasts longer than 72 hours or is designated a High Adventure event.

Link

A link to the OTHER parts of the annual medical form which is completed by parents or guardians and is required for attending any other Scouting event.

Link

Just so we all are talking about the same thing.
edit on 7/16/2013 by Montana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Montana[/iSilly me. I was under the impression that we were discussing the link in the OP. You know, the one that states they will exclude members because of BMI.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by azdaze

Ummmm, yeah.......

And the medical form part C is where that is determined.

Not sure what you are saying?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Montana

Let me make it clearer then...BMI IN NO WAY INDICATES PHYSICAL FITNESS. . BETTER?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by azdaze

Yes, and for those that BMI is not an adequate indication of physical fitness (read weight lifters and such) all it takes is a certification by a physician that the individual is capable of meeting the physical requirements of the event.

Seems a little disingenuous to try to say that a basic height/weight comparison is not a general indication of MOST peoples basic physical status.

Edit here is the statement to the physician contained in the medical form part c (above)

If you exceed the maximum weight for height as explained on the next page and your planned high-adventure activity will take you more than 30 minutes away from an emergency vehicle/accessible roadway, you will not be allowed to participate. At the discretion of the medical advisers of the event and/or camp, participation of an individual exceeding the maximum weight for height may be allowed if the body fat percentage measured by the health care provider is determined to be 20 percent or less for a female or 15 percent or less for a male. (Philmont requires a hydrostatic weighing or DXA test to be used for this determination.) Please call the event leader and/or camp if you have any questions. Enforcing the height/weight guidelines is strongly encouraged for all other events.

Covers those people you are talking about very handily, doesn't it? You DID read the information, RIGHT?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
It doesnt say that anywhere in the article, but it does state that anyone with a BMI of over 40 will be excluded.Even though the clinical definition of morbidly obese is BMI over 40 AND more than 100lbs over the ideal body weight for that height.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by azdaze

Goodness, the article didn't contain all the relevant information, and to really understand what is happening you have to look elsewhere. Whoda thunk it?

Reporters are always trying to bend a story to make a statement, aren't they? It's a pain!

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
That link tht you provided said that in order to circumvent that rule one must have a dr certify that they have less than 15% bodyfat? seriously? really? Guess how many NFL players have that low a % of bodyfat? Yet most of them are in far superior condition than any dweeby scout could ever hope to be. But you just keep fibbing to yourself if that is what you like to do.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I guess you can keep telling yourself that the Scouts would not let an NFL player attend a Scouting event. There is obviously a method of confirming a person is able to meet the fitness requirements. It requires a call to the event organizers. Wow, how hard is that? I'm not sure what axe you are grinding here, but continue on your merry way.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

If the organizations that once kept boys fit are now rejecting them for being unfit that seems a tad self-defeating.

Well said! the whole point is to improve for each of these boys, being left out does not raise anyone's sights or give them goals.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by TheToastmanCometh

Next up, you'll have to be blond and blue-eyed too, and your parents earn more than $500k a year.

The BSofA is starting to sound more and more like it belongs in early 1940's Germany.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocker2013

Mmm yes...we already are turning into a facist society, so why not rename the BSA the HitlerJugend of America?

But all joking aside, they should at least have a separate function to help overweight children shed the pounds and eat healthy...I even think the Girl Scouts are doing much better...aside from selling those delish cookies.

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
First they came for the Boy Scouts. Next it will be the altar boys.
edit on 17-7-2013 by ZONTAR because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join