It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Post Civil War Era Bigfoot Report from Tri-Cities Area of Appalachia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Since I grew up not far from here this is interesting to me. Parts of this area are still very rural, forested and sparsely populated.

A Bigfoot sighted near Bristol began a reign of terror

It seems that the reign of terror began when residents began to find partially eaten livestock on their farms. Goats seem to have been a favorite prey. Then after these incidents, sightings began to occur. A man plowing his field at the base of the aforementioned mountain saw one of his goats fleeing as if running for his life. Indeed he was. A second look revealed that a human like creature with arms almost as long as his body was reaching for the frightened goat. Once caught, the goat was tucked under his arm and carried off into the woods at the edge of the field.

Evidently the skeleton of the creature was also found on mountain home. Appearing as though it had been pinned and died under a fallen tree.

Though the author mentions he knows of no stories from area since that time, I have to disagree. When I was a growing up in the area I heard of several first hand accounts.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
For those who are not aware of the fact, bigfoot very well do exist. I suppose for many it will take seeing one to believe, and that is slightly understandable. But all one must do is look at the plethora of credible evidence to conclude that sasquatch do exist. At the very least, someone who is aware of all the evidence available should not be able to dismiss the phenomenon as anything but what eyewitnesses claim it is, namely a giant relic hominid.

The author of this article apparently does not know too much about the subject, as is obvious by many of the claims that were made. The fact that this sasquatch was white or grey is not unusual in the least. The majority of these animals are of a brown or reddish brown color, some darker than others, but white and grey are fairly common, just not as common as the darker colors. And bigfoot are found throughout the US and NA, not just in the PNW. Of course there are going to be more sightings there, considering the sheer amount of forested land, as well as the large numbers of potential witnesses who frequent these wooded areas.

But I had my sighting in Texas, and the majority of states have a grouping of sightings. It makes sense considering the sheer amount of unpopulated and unvisited forested land available in most states. For instance, people do not tend to think about the actual amount of acreage we are talking about here.

I have done much research into the subject of sasquatch, especially after my encounter, and it has become obvious to me that those who say there is no evidence available are simply mistaken. Bias also runs deep, and many are opposed to the idea for their own reasons. But they would be wrong, and they will be proven to be wrong in due time. But it is hard to document an animal that is both elusive, similar to other animals in NA, but who is also intelligent. It does not take much to avoid a human in the woods, as sasquatch can see, hear, or smell us coming long before we can see them. In fact, it seems they sometimes simply remain still, utilizing their natural camouflage and taking advantage of the fact that it is hard for us to see things in thick woods unless there is accompanying movement.

There are great arguments for EVERY single statement a detractor can make regarding the existence of these animals, and I myself have made many of these types of arguments several times, although not much on ATS. This site is not a very good one for bigfoot researchers to share and collaborate, but sometimes there are interesting threads on the subject. During my research I have learned of the sheer amount of local monster stories across the continental US, and looking into the specifics and testimony of those who experienced interactions of some sort with said monster, it has become apparent that many times sasquatch is responsible for the activity.

Even some Native American tribes attributed ghostly traits to sasquatch, but like us, it is due to a lack of understanding. For instance, these animals can move quite silently, which makes sense, and they can almost disappear quickly. Well, it seems that they disappear, but they simply utilize cover in a very clever way. And they do it fast. Like other types of primates, sasquatch likely have the ability to look at a scene or situation much faster than a human. Sort of like how researchers can flash numbers all at once to a chimp, and have it respond with the correct sequence the number appeared. Most people could not do this, simply because the numbers are not visible for a long enough period of time. So a sasquatch can likely peek out from behind a tree and take in more information than we would normally think they could.

There are many more little tidbits of sasquatch information that need to be learned by researchers, because this lack of understanding is part of the reason why we have not documented them yet. But the truth is that there is both much physical and anectdotal evidence, including thousands upon thousands of eyewitness sightings. And contrary to popular belief, mainstream science is not out there attempting to document sasquatch. Why would they, when most scientists are already biased towards the idea to begin with?

And not to mention that all researchers that I know of have been going about this in the wrong way. If anyone has seen the Finding Bigfoot show, they will be familiar with the methods that most researchers use. And those methods are not likely to work. There is little incentive for a sasquatch to approach humans in the woods, period. And usually they will not purposefully get close enough to allow for us to get good visual evidence. It is not that they know what we are doing, as they probably don't care, they just don't have any reason for allowing us to get close to them. This is partly because of their intelligence, but it is probably mostly just instinctual. Instinct alone can produce great things in the animal world, so think of that with intelligence as well...

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
The Appalachian mountains are a perfect place for something such as Bigfoot to reside. I've hiked different areas right off the Blue Ridge Parkway and can say for a fact it wouldn't be hard for something like Bigfoot to live there.

Eric Rudolph hid in Cherokee County, NC around Andrews for five years. They looked for him extensively but only found him when he came out of the mountains to scrounge for food. He wasn't even a Bigfoot and he avoided everyone.

They say Mountain Lions don't exist in those parts either but just ask a local who has seen or heard one. They too are out there and can easily avoid detection so how hard would it be for a Bigfoot?
edit on 6-7-2013 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

I have to agree that bigfoot most likely lives in many other places than the PNW in the US, however I have never had even an inkling of a sighting. I am just one of those that believes without ever seeing one.

Where in TX did you have your sighting if I may ask? I relocated to central TX about 6 months ago and would love to possibly explore some of these regions, and that sounds like its just the place to start.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
aww, just go 5 miles south of I-90 and hwy 18 east of seattle....nuff said

best to go in a large group and sneek in if you can be sneeky....they have your number....set up people to video....send one into the thick with a predator call

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Hi Jiggy. Enjoyed your post. Do you have a thread somewhere about your sighting? I would like to read about your experience if at all possible

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I've always been fascinated by bigfoot, but it's getting harder and harder for me to believe it exists. With 300,000,000 people in the US it would be almost impossible for someone to not have gotten solid evidence by now.

Also, a creature that big would have to eat a huge amount of food, and there would be some signs somewhere of either a ton of vegetation eaten, or a bunch of animal skeletons. Not to mention that way more footprints would be found. I live in Washington, and with all the people that hike, hunt and do other things outdoors there would have to be more evidence.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by JiggyPotamus
This site is not a very good one for bigfoot researchers to share and collaborate,

What are some good websites, as I'm very interested in learning more

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive

They say Mountain Lions don't exist in those parts either but just ask a local who has seen or heard one. They too are out there and can easily avoid detection so how hard would it be for a Bigfoot?
edit on 6-7-2013 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

Agreed about the mountain lions, or panthers as they called them in those parts. It was pretty common knowledge by the locals they were around. I remember a picture in the county paper where a deputy had hit one with his car while out on patrol late one night.

I saw one (a panther) when I was a boy. I around 12 or 13 I guess and I was fishing. Thankfully it was on the opposite river bank from me!!

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by CB328
I've always been fascinated by bigfoot, but it's getting harder and harder for me to believe it exists. With 300,000,000 people in the US it would be almost impossible for someone to not have gotten solid evidence by now.

Also, a creature that big would have to eat a huge amount of food, and there would be some signs somewhere of either a ton of vegetation eaten, or a bunch of animal skeletons. Not to mention that way more footprints would be found. I live in Washington, and with all the people that hike, hunt and do other things outdoors there would have to be more evidence.

Well, think of this. Bears are big, and eat a huge amount of food and it actually fairly rare for the average person in the woods to run across a bear (or bear sign). The area I hunt in has a bunch of bears, but even for me its fairly rare to see bear sign, let alone a bear in the flesh.

Now if you consider a bigfoot is likely much, much more rare than your average bear and likely smarter. Then the odds of spotting one or evidence of one go down quite a bit.

JiggyPotamus - A agree. If went into the woods using the methods the guys on finding bigfoot use I'd consider myself lucky if I saw a squirrel, let alone a bigfoot.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs

Well, think of this. Bears are big, and eat a huge amount of food and it actually fairly rare for the average person in the woods to run across a bear (or bear sign). The area I hunt in has a bunch of bears, but even for me its fairly rare to see bear sign, let alone a bear in the flesh.

Now if you consider a bigfoot is likely much, much more rare than your average bear and likely smarter. Then the odds of spotting one or evidence of one go down quite a bit.

JiggyPotamus - A agree. If went into the woods using the methods the guys on finding bigfoot use I'd consider myself lucky if I saw a squirrel, let alone a bigfoot.

Starred. All excellent points Frogs.

I'll add to that, that most hikers, campers and so-called outdoors men stick to areas well trod by them or trails laid down by parks officials; very few break new trail.

Humans generally go where humans can easily go, unless propelled by some over-riding need or purpose, and I'd think squatches would do the same.

But the area where a Squatch can easily go is probably a helluva lot bigger area of the wild than that of a human and a lot wilder, so even less likely the two would meet.

edit on 7-7-2013 by setibuddies because: coffee spill

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I cant say one way or the other if the creature exists or not because I haven't seen one and I don't know anyone who has, but I am from the pac NW and I hear about it quite a bit. I agree with Hippo that there is just too much evidence in the form of pics and anecdotle stories to ignore the thing though. Im very interested.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Well, I spent many summers as a child camping in the woods in the Cherokee National Forest. There were bears around there, and the area we camped even had an attack a few years ago (child). I never saw a single bear, though. Those forests are THICK. People not familiar don't realize sometimes that these are very dense, and with very tall trees. it's not difficult at all to imagine something like Bigfoot remaining hidden there.

I still recall a story my dad shared with is, when I was a kid. Seems there was this fellow, a mountain man type, who lived somewhere in that part of the country (maybe Georgia, maybe Tennessee, can't recall, though it seems like it was mountains in Georgia). This guy spent his whole like as a wilderness resident, hunting, trapping, and eating pretty much anything that was there. He loved this life, and those that knew him didn't think he'd ever leave it. Then, all of a sudden, he up and moves to town. People asked him why, shocked that he would do this, and at first, he didn't want to say anything. Then, they finally got a short response, with no explanation following. he said, simply, "There's too many strange animals up there." Never a word as to whether he even meant too many of one type, or a lot of strange types! That story always gave me chills.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by LadyGreenEyes

Yeah - stories like that are not too hard to come by if you befriend some old timers there.

I remember my uncle knew of a secluded valley (or "holler" as they were called). People usually stayed well away from it. At dusk you could approach from the opposite side of the and stop up on top of the ridge. Then as it got dark you could hear, as he put it, "The boogers down in th' holler screamin' at each other." He did take me there once and I agreed with him, the did sound alot like a woman's scream. But you'd hear one in one part of the holler then a one in another part of the holler would answer.

Like you said, it was dark and thick down in there and going down in that holler just always seemed like a really bad idea.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Having spent my childhood in and around the SE mountains, I can well imagine how creepy it could have been!

I still remember a place that my aunt and uncle lived, with my cousin, for a time. I can't recall the exact location. Might have been in Tennessee, or might have been Kentucky. I was small. In any case, the house was WAY back, and I do mean WAAAAYYYYY back from the road, in the woods. Serious DARK woods. Now, mind you, woods didn't bother me, and we would even, while camping, spend a part of a night or so with no light, watching stars from the beach of the lake. It wasn't the dark or the woods that bugged us. Anyway, the moms would stay inside chatting or whatever, and my dad and uncle would stand around outside talking. We kids (me, my cousin, and my sister) would go back and forth. We would go outside at night there IF the dads were there, but would NOT venture even a couple of feet past them (still a little light from the house there) towards the trees. If they were inside, we didn't even want to go onto the front porch. This was a high porch, too, as wasn't uncommon in hoses there back then. We kids believed, totally, that someTHING was in the woods. Something not nice, with big teeth and claws, that would maybe eat us if we ventured into the trees far enough. Never had a feeling like that in other woods, anywhere else. The adults thought we were being silly, of course, and as far as I know, no one saw or heard anything, but we were certain. I am still convinced something was there. Kids can sense things adults might miss. Now, Bigfoot wasn't in our minds at this time. I was SMALL then, and the PG film could not have been around very long at the time, though I can't say what exact year this was. They moved after that, and whatever this was, was left behind. I still remember the basic position of the house, some of the road, and where the dads would stand to talk. That small, and this place left a lasting impression. If I could locate the place now, I don't think I would walk there at night!

posted on Jul, 17 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Yeah - you never know. One story from my family. This would have been back in the early 1900's in the general area of the story in my OP. What would have been my great uncle was up the hillside picking some wild blackberries. Other relatives were working in a garden on the flat ground at the base of the hill.

They heard him scream and saw the bushes shaking. They went running up there. They found the bucket with its side caved in and a shoe. No blood, no drag marks, nothing.

They yelled, they searched and searched. That bucket and shoe were the only trace of him they ever found..

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs

Yeah - you never know. One story from my family. This would have been back in the early 1900's in the general area of the story in my OP. What would have been my great uncle was up the hillside picking some wild blackberries. Other relatives were working in a garden on the flat ground at the base of the hill.

They heard him scream and saw the bushes shaking. They went running up there. They found the bucket with its side caved in and a shoe. No blood, no drag marks, nothing.

They yelled, they searched and searched. That bucket and shoe were the only trace of him they ever found..

I don't have Missing 411 Eastern yet, but one thing the author mentions in the Western one is hints about berry pickers being targeted. Your case sounds like JUST the sort he hints at! If it isn't in the book, you might want to consider writing him and telling him about the case.

That's chilling! As kids, we had blackberries growing literally right outside, and in other places in the woods where we played. In town, but still......give me chills thinking about it.

posted on Jul, 24 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   

For those who are not aware of the fact, bigfoot very well do exist. I suppose for many it will take seeing one to believe, and that is slightly understandable. But all one must do is look at the plethora of credible evidence to conclude that sasquatch do exist. At the very least, someone who is aware of all the evidence available should not be able to dismiss the phenomenon as anything but what eyewitnesses claim it is, namely a giant relic hominid.

Very well stated JiggyPotamus, actually everything you said there makes a great argument for the existence of bigfoot. While I haven't personally seen one, I completely believe that they are out there. I have heard too many first hand stories from people in my own life to not believe.

top topics

join