It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Builds 'LegoLeg' Prosthetic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Christina Stephens really puts the leg in Lego. Last year, her foot was amputated after it was crushed under a car she was rebuilding. Stephens took it in stride by fashioning a prosthesis out of some old Lego blocks she had lying around her basement. Stephens, an occupational therapist and clinical researcher, said she decided to build the toy leg after a co-worker jokingly proposed the idea. While others would have laughed off the suggestion, Stephens said, "Challenge accepted." "I liked the idea, because I am very comfortable with my body and like encouraging others to be more comfortable with theirs," she said.

Ingeneous idea, only problem is the foot and ankle kept popping off when she tried using it

Story

While doing research for this thread, Ive found others doing something similar with legoes

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
She has a great concept, except she needed to use more Technic parts. LEGO are very strong and can hold the weight and not break off with the pins and friction. Technic part provide a good base, functionality, flexibility and strength.

I would have her on my build team any day! That was very clever! Here is a motorized chair with NXT and technic!

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Knowing that 3D printers use much the same kind of plastic as Lego, I'm sure if she had some kooky ideas for a leg, it could be "printed".
Different snap together modules for different tasks, I suppose.

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
she's kinda sexy actually....ahh that's weird ha ha

posted on Jul, 5 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Great idea, but the problem is that the prosthetic is going to need some moving parts, just like a real foot, to have a normal walk.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I agree, she had the stump cap done right, but the actual limb needed work

top topics

join