It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Synthetic Estrogen (BPA) in Canned Food & Drinks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
So we've all heard of BPA right?

Here's quick snipped for those who haven't.

BPA is used to make certain plastics and epoxy resins; it has been in commercial use since 1957. BPA-based plastic is clear and tough, and is used to make a variety of common consumer goods (such as baby and water bottles, sports equipment, and CDs and DVDs) and for industrial purposes, like lining water pipes. Epoxy resins containing BPA are used as coatings on the inside of many food and beverage cans. It is also used in making thermal paper such as that used in sales receipts.

For decades now researchers have stood behind BPA stating that in very low doses it's entirely harmless, much like any other of the chemicals we see in other food and drink products.

I came across this old article today and thought I would post it for your general information.

Chemicals like BPA are known as "endocrine disruptors" because they mimic the body's hormones; because hormones trigger biological responses at minute concentrations, the thinking goes, so might these synthetic cousins. Exposure to BPA has been linked, primarily in lab animal studies, to a range of possible health problems ranging from obesity to infertility.

Another recent study, small but instructive, found that a family reduced its exposure to BPA 60% by swapping fresh foods for canned and packaged foods. (There is at least one BPA-free canned food alternative, from Eden Organic, which costs more but comes without the chemical worry; $25.50 for 12 15-ounce cans of black beans, for instance, at amazon.com.)

Tests showing that BPA leached from plastic baby bottles into formula prompted at least eight states, along with most major retailers and bottle makers, to phase BPA out of plastic baby bottles. Many water bottle makers have followed suit. But BPA remains a component of the lining of canned foods and canned beverages like soda. (It's also been found in residue left on fingers after handling sales receipts and dollar bills.) For those concerned about exposing themselves, or for pregnant women concerned about exposing their developing baby, eating more fresh fruits and vegetables in place of canned foods is one important strategy.

Source

This Men's Health Article has some product specific stats that are good to look at as well.

Now my problem is that regardless of it being low dose, this means kids these days, especially young boys are being flooded with estrogen from a variety of different sources, every day.

This cannot be good for their development I would think.

Anyway, thoughts ATS?

Anybody with more knowledge care to educate me a bit on why I should, or should not be upset with this?

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
That plastic is no good for anyone. Trouble is that there are other plastics out there that are just as bad yet they seldom get targeted. All food in plastic is bad for us if it is in it too long or a variety of conditions are present.

I read a similar study a couple months back. I also read a study where excreted BPA was higher in people who changed to organic...The article implied that organic food was high also. To me it showed that once you start to change for the better, the body starts getting rid of the toxins. An endocrine disruptor can lower excretion of toxins, causing a buildup. I see someone was using the misapplied evidence to confuse people into thinking that the opposite was happening. Very tricky, it would start to get most of those who read it to blow of BPA as natural.

S&F for informing our members here of the dangers out there.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Its linked to prostate cancer Science Daily

Can we really hide from it ? They say that even paper receipts have it. Our only hope seems to be manufactures to take a serious concern about products they make and have some ethics but as long as producing cheap is priority to manufactures and these chemicals are not banned by health ministries all we can do is vote with our wallets.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
You are thinking along the same lines as I am about estrogen contamination in the water and food supply, aren't you, Tenth? I'm in a conversation with my former neuropsychology professor about that at the moment.
edit on 27-6-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

Yeah that's exactly it.

That and the fact that all of this BPA is ending up in our oceans with the amount of waste and mis-management of it that goes on.

It's a scary thing.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

To be honest, Tenth, I fully support gay rights, and I would consider myself a moderate leaning towards Democrat. But the reason I moved to Idaho was because my natural man-attributes and man-drive felt like they were being suppressed.

Since I've moved here, it has made a major difference in me becoming a responsible adult (who still has fun!).

There are so many job opportunities and opportunities for growth and expansion here, lots of networking, lots of teamwork, and people who push me.

I am free once again to make plans, and reach my full potential, and do activities, and express myself and work out problems instead of hide behind masks, and form real friendships with reliable people. I enjoy it.

And of course, I care about other people and still try to be aware of the effects of my actions on them, but there is a lot less man-drama, if any. Instead I get to focus on productive things ^_^

That's my perspective, at least.
edit on 28-6-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join