It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bodyguard. the best weapon of choice..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Hi guys,

For some time I work in the security busines and (un)fortunately I never needed a gun for the job. Now is there is a possibilty that i will accept a job as a bodyguard and will after a lot of decision making be allowed to carry a gun on the job.

I love guns, do not know much about them and never owned one. Here in The Netherlands it is forbidden to own one, unless you are a cop or are one of the lucky few with a permit.

So what would you guys suggest to be perfect for the job?

The few things I can think of being important is to have a magazine instead of a revolver...because there are more bullits available in a sticky situation. It must be reliable and durable. Not too big...

Please give it your thoughts and if possible show me a picture of the weapon you think is the best choice..

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

The best way to find out would be to try several different makes and models and see what "fits". Most people will have at least one or two that just "feels better" than the others.

That said, a Glock G19 should probably be in your "to try" list.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I would definitely recommend giving glock (19 or 22) a test, and my personal favorite, the Sig p226 or Sig p229.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

depends on your job i guess, Glock G19's are nice. M4/AR-15 would probably be your best luck. if you were ever in a fire fight, a rifle will work a lot better then a pistol. Hell if you really just wanna cleave the field get a 12G shotgun lol.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

I have never carried, fired, or owned a firearm. However, my reading on various subjects is extensive, one of them being the reading of materials related to the function of a close protection team.

From this research over the years, it seems to me that many operators have had the sort of expirience where the requirement for one job, in terms of equipment, may be different to the requirements for another. Sometimes the client will dictate what is and is not appropriate, for instance prohibiting use of compact rifles or anything larger than a handgun of some sort. Other times the scenario from the get go might be one where the sort of threat one is expected to face requires the carriage of such a weapon, and nothing less will do.

In essence, it seems that like any trade, one must pick ones equipment according to the job at hand, rather than solely as a matter of personal preference.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I would pick a Dora, the your absolute have the most firepower
description:
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

I did security work as well; short term contract bodyguard work was a large part of the contracts I took in. The best carry weapon you can have is one that you'll carry. I've carried a wide a range of small fire arms due to travel and not being able to bring my personal weapon with me sometimes or from needing a weapon when things got more heated than the contract planned for.

It really depends on your contract, if you’re going to travel a lot with who you’re guarding. Get a weapon that can be found where ever you travel to. That means replacement parts and ammo within easy reach, unless you and your contractor have deep pockets to cover that all for you.

Take for example one of my favorite hand gun is a CZ85 but it’s not easy finding replacement part in short notice so in the end I end up carrying some form of Glock most of the time. Also don’t forget to factor in your dress code if you have to dress up you’ll want something that you can hide. Nothing worse than broadcasting you’re the guy to shoot first by showing off your armed.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

I love guns, do not know much about them and never owned one.

First: You Need Training. Being unfamiliar with a firearm is a quick way to get hurt or harm the very person you're trying to protect.
After that, you can shop around for the weapon that fits you. I find it a bit odd that your company is going to allow you to carry a firearm, but you are not trained as an armed guard. Do they know you are unfamiliar with guns? Have they mentioned any type of training? Please don't just go with the gun that looks prettiest or intimidating. Spend the time, money and effort to get what will be the best all around fit for you. If you get trained as an armed body guard, you may find a whole new world of opprotunities opening for you. Notice that one word that keeps popping up? TRAINING.
edit on 27-6-2013 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
alot of good points made on here
* get training
* feel around for the best fit of a gun in your hand
* get one that you will actually wear all the time
* dont buy it just because you like the way it looks

I have owned many guns and have concealed carried a couple different ones in my time. I personally carry a glock 26. it's the sub-compact 9mm. it is small and light enough that i can carry it all day and not be weighed down by it. yet I feel it holds enough rounds of ammo to help me should the need ever arise. the gun I carried before was a KEL-TEC p3at. it was chambered in .380 acp. it was a very small and light gun ( could fit in the palm of my hand). i could throw it in my pocket and forget it was there...it was that light and small. the only reason i dont carry it anymore is because i like the way the glock fits my hand better.
In a situation were you might have to use it, you want the gun to fit your hand as best as possible. hand fitment comes in to play alot with accuracy. and when your under stress and your adreniline is rushing your accuracy can be comprimised and you dont want a poorly fitted gun to add to that.
If you have the abbility you should try shooting a couple different types of guns as well as different calibers. dont be scared of a gun just because it is a bigger caliber. My personal carry guns (9mm and .380 acp) have more recoil then the gun that i keep under my bed and that one is a .40 s&w.
alot comes into play with recoil. not just the caliber of the bullet. you have the weight and size of the gun also that plays a big part.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
A bazooka.

Nobody going to mess about when you have a bazooka.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
For me personally..I prefer the following

For border security.
Modified MetalStorm with FLIR, radar, Remote Control, with a robotic auto loader.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by superluminal11

Star for you sir. I giggled.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
For some reason, I cannot get comfortable with plastic guns, plastic cameras, and plastic cars. Give me an old school .45 1911.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
What a bizarre thread.

Personally, I love Rakes. I've never owned one, and I don't have a lawn. So I've never needed a rake, but I just love rakes. I really like rakes.

I might buy a rake. Any advice?

Oo

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64

I love guns, do not know much about them and never owned one.

First: You Need Training. Being unfamiliar with a firearm is a quick way to get hurt or harm the very person you're trying to protect.
After that, you can shop around for the weapon that fits you. I find it a bit odd that your company is going to allow you to carry a firearm, but you are not trained as an armed guard. Do they know you are unfamiliar with guns? Have they mentioned any type of training? Please don't just go with the gun that looks prettiest or intimidating. Spend the time, money and effort to get what will be the best all around fit for you. If you get trained as an armed body guard, you may find a whole new world of opprotunities opening for you. Notice that one word that keeps popping up? TRAINING.

I definitely agree with this^

On the subject of what you should get, something small and light, you don't want to be carrying a .44 magnum Ruger Redhawk all day. By the end of the day it will feel like you have a brick in your jacket. But, first you need to get some training/education on firearms. You have no experience with them, and seem a bit too excited about getting to carry one. I don't know how it would be unfortunate that you never had to use one before.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

Here in The Netherlands they do not let you near a gun without training. My boss will not give me a gun and sent me on my way. Also other instructions/ lesson will be given to do the job properly. Before I will guard someone I will receive training. Also transporting a gun off duty has its own set of rules. Weapon and ammo seperated in locked compartments...and that sort of precautions. No, it is not that easy like buying a gun and go out shooting some cans..

edit on 27/6/2013 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

SIG P239 or P290
Walther P99 or P99c
Steyr M9 or C9

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

My suggestions:

- Sig P226 Enhanced Elite in 9mm. It has a better grip and a shorter trigger pull than a plain jane P226. The accuracy and reliability are pretty good. I prefer it over a Glock any day of the week.

- FN Five-Seven. It is in an odd caliber, the 5.7x28 round. But very high accuracy, very little recoil, and a high magazine capacity. The standard capacity here in the US is 20 rounds which you can expand to 30 rounds with an easy to install aftermarket accessory. If you feel you will need to put a lot of fire down range in close quarters, this would be the gun for you. That is, if you can get ammunition for it where you live.

If you do go with the Five-Seven, you should do fine if you can get some SS195 Jacketed Hollow Point rounds. That is, assuming you won't be able to get any SS198LF rounds which are armor piercing rounds only available to law enforcement.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Plenty of training, become very proficient and confident in your abilities with your weapon. Then go to a range and rent several guns of different models and calibers. With that said I am a Sig man, was my service sidearm and the various P229 models are excellent weapons. I've literally went from water to a beach or river landing, through mud and into sand and never had an issue with jams or misfires.

My personal choice is .40 cal, plenty of energy to drop what you need to drop yet not as big as the .45 ACP round. Plenty of people swear by a 9mm, personally I have seen a couple of instances of their failure to stop a target without plugging some serious lead into it.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

Probably go for a Glock. 40 as the round of choice.

<<   2 >>

join