It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physics professor starts class by stripping while showing footage of Hitler and 9/11.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Here's one way to teach Quantum Physics. I don't even know what to say about this one, ...Except

Half-Naked Ivy League Prof Opens Quantum Physics Course with 9/11 Footage, Hitler

There is no (definitive) manual on How to Teach Quantum Physics, obviously, but one imagines that if such a manual existed it would likely recommend against opening your first lecture half-naked, curled into a fetal position while footage of Hitler, Saddam Hussein, and 9/11 play on the projector. And yet! Columbia professor Emlyn Hughes opened his Frontiers of Science—one of the Ivy League university's core classes—with just such a show.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by whatsecret

I looked in the article for some sort of explanation that justified his presentation. Alas, I found none. I have found some professors to be really quirky, in a good way. There is usually a good reason, or a lesson to be learned from these kinds of presentations.

Since the class is quantum physics, maybe it's a dadaistic metaphor for the students to "unlearn" what they have learned--to be open to the unexpected and the unconventional as that is the nature of quantum physics. Yes, I'm grasping at straws here.

I don't see how this one is paying off for the students.

edit on 23-6-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I think he meant to be teaching the class on deviant psychology and must have made a wrong turn. Physics? Psychos? Easy mistake to make...right? Err.. Interesting way to open a class. Yeah...

S/F

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Well, thats it then.
There will some kind of media driven uproar, jewish groups will be interviewed and express outrage, minority groups will express outrage, the University will go into self preservation mode, and he
will
be
sacked.

Its the way things are done nowdays.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
He wanted his students to pay attention...

It worked.

And he also got to push a message...

Nothing wrong with that.

This is a teacher who goes the extra mile to actually TEACH...

Respect...

Peace

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
jeebus why did i never have teachers that were this much fun
bet they never forget that class

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by billdadobbie

Teachers like that cost $22,000 a semester.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Maybe they need to examine the professors a little better before hiring them. Quantum Physics and stripping are not a good mix. The professor demeaned the subject in my mind.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I had an Ethics professor who turned out to be a burlesque dancer on the side.

He was pretty good at keeping the two separate, but every now and then we would wander off topic in class and let a little too much info slip and eventually someone found photos.

He was a really great teacher though, I'll leave it at that.

Though it just goes to show that there are some pretty "strange" people in college teaching positions.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatsecret

Originally posted by billdadobbie

Teachers like that cost $22,000 a semester.
hire as many as possible quick before the chinese get them

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArrowsNV

Though it just goes to show that there are some pretty "strange" people in college teaching positions.

Nothing wrong with being different.
Stripping is too much. period.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Perhaps his stripping infront of these images was supposed to signify the nakedness of a mind before the winds of truth, a rebirth of thought before the serious work of looking up Gods pants leg to see how his kneecaps work.

I mean, if you are going to do physics, might as well get some metaphysics in before the boring blackboard work starts.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
somewhat typical of the physics minded to be a little unusual, isn't it?

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
All I could think of was....."What's with the Misfits skull?"

Has anyone ever known a SANE physicist? Kind of a job requirement to check sanity at the door.....

edit on 24-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

top topics

join