It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Fisherman's Guide to Enlightenment

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
What a refreshing story. Ah, fly fishing. A true merger of art, science and nature.

A sport fisherman myself (catch & release), however I would fish for food if I needed to. I think it is admirable what you do to support your family.

I find fly fishing is one of the few remaining areas where I am able able to patiently focus. Becoming one with the river, often oblivious to my surroundings other than the 40 or so yards to either side (and the infrequent lookaround for an intruder such as a bear or discourteous spin caster!).

Snags, tangled leaders, slippery rocks...all part of the days work. I find those are friendly reminders to sit, rest and take it all in for a few minutes.

Tight lines, Friend.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

Great story, makes me want to go fishing right now. Fly fishing rivers and streams is one of my favorite activities in the outdoors, it's so relaxing once you master the art. I backpack a lot in The Yosemite high country off trail and have fished endless streams in it's back country.

I can't believe that I fished with a lure for so many years. Once you fly fish, you don't go back. I really enjoyed your story, thank you. Thoreau said it best........~$heopleNation

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~Henry David Thoreau

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Nice post. . But seriously, all that just to say you went fishing and caught nothing
??

What does fishing have to do with enlightenment? o.O

Google definition:
en·light·en  
/enˈlītn/Verb -
1.Give (someone) greater knowledge and understanding about a subject or situation.
2.Give (someone) spiritual knowledge or insight.

I guess if we go with option 1, you really didnt give us greater knowledge fishing (which would be the subject)
And if we went number 2, you lost me

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
reply to post by mysticnoon

I fish to feed my family. How do you feed yours?

Next time just say you went fishing and failed to feed your family
Would save you time so you can do other things.

Shouldnt this thread be put into stories or something weird - metaphysics and philosophy? What the heck is happening to this site... This entire OP has nothing to do with either

Thanks for sharing your poetic-enlightening-fishing experience

edit on 25-6-2013 by covertpanther because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   

How does one become a fisherman? One goes goes fishing.

I've done a lot of fishing. Of all sorts. I like fishing but I prefer catching.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

How does one become a fisherman? One goes goes fishing.

I've done a lot of fishing. Of all sorts. I like fishing but I prefer catching.

Would you noodle?

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Arnie123

Not where I live.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by covertpanther

Over your head and under your knees. This thread wasn't written for the superficial. Nonetheless, thanks for reading.

I you wish for some enlightenment according to your standards, I would suggest some basic training in the language you write. There's many books on grammar and punctuation you can peruse if you are unsure of yourself in these areas. Surely, the enlightened first know how to use a period.
edit on 25-6-2013 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I would be a liar to say I didn't prefer catching. I think everyone prefers to catch something, or we wouldn't put bait on the end of our lines.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

I apologize if my missing 'dot' bothered you

Ahhh look I did it again

Oh no !

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
As much as I love my home waters where I sometimes guide/outfit [4 corners area], I find the most enjoyment wading the flats, down in the Keys.

There is something about the surreal aloneness in that environment that may not be enlightening for me but certainly has it's transcendental moments.

And for down and dirty; nothing beats the primitive carp/catfish stalking while floating the Rio Grande in a belly boat, dead drifting a lima bean or a worm.
edit on 25-6-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Not a problem. But it reflects more on you than it does me. Just looking out for ya.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

There is something about the surreal aloneness in that environment that may not be enlightening for me but certainly has it's transcendental moments.

It's rare to find healthy solitude these days. I agree. How evil can one become if he's alone?

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope

Over your head and under your knees. This thread wasn't written for the superficial. Nonetheless, thanks for reading.

You wrote a nice story my friend so don't waste your breath on that negative soul, people like that will never understand that there is so much more to fishing than catching. Catching is the bonus. ~$heopleNation

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   

You thread was the first that I read coming to ATS tonight and I'm so glad that I did! Thank You. You truely have a gift of expression.

OP I so know how you feel. I've recently bought a kayak and have been exploring spoil islands and beautiful rivers lined with unspoiled land and ancient trees draped in hanging moss, air plants and bromeliads. Because of the area I too get the feeling sometimes that I'm seeing things that no one else can. The beauty of a yak is getting up close and personal with nature and being able to get in to places that larger watercraft is unable. I love the solitude and gracefulness of being on the water.

Thank you for such a beautiful post. SnF

top topics

<< 1   >>

join