It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neverwinter Returns (review)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Even though this game holds the title of the classic Neverwinter pc games... It is nothing like the old games...

In fact the designers seem to be trying to emulate World of Warcraft... much to the dismay of many D&D fans.

Though I do believe they've designed this game to appeal to both warcraft and D&D fans alike...

The graphics are amazing as is the attention to detail... the battles are intense, with the added bonus of the occasional trap here and there... Truly a Hack and slash lovers dream...

Anyone who might be used to the old D&D rules will not recognise this game at all... So if you're going to play expecting any immediate working knowledge of this particular D&D game... You'll be in for a surprise...

The best way I can describe Neverwinter would be D&D meets World of warcraft...

Yet as far as the action content and attention to detail goes... this game puts Warcraft to shame... (I played for 5 years, and was a GM for 3 of those, so I think my opinion is valid)

And when it comes down to it... the game is FREE... with pay options of course, though this is a sign that the designers are betting on the content to sell the game... And I believe they've done a very good job.

I've only been playing for a while, and to be honest the first few levels are only about learning how to play... but with a few adjustments in the keybinds... Im starting to enjoy this game quite a bit... which is why I wanted to write a review here...

So bottom line (almost)...

Neverwinter is a Solid, FREE D&D game revamped completely... Beautifully designed... Engaging atmosphere... Great action/quest based character building RPGMMO... Hundreds are playing as we speak... You can even design your own quests using the Forge... Completely awesome game!

And for you roleplayers... there is definitely potential for some really good roleplay... IF anyone played the original neverwinter nights... they know roleplay is primarily done with chat balloons overhead... which was removed from DDO (D&D online:stormreach) but overhead chat is part of this game as well....

IF enough people play... Maybe we could even have an ATS guild...

Just a thought...

This game is a must try for any D&D or Warcraft fans

That's my two cents... for what its worth...

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
It is a good game, I have two level 60 characters and I have enjoyed it but like any other MMO once you hit level 60 it does get a little boring.
A few tips for beginners here...do not roll a wizard nor a thief, far to many of them about and you will be queuing for ages getting into multiplayer dungeons.
Also it is quite easy to miss content If you out level the content so my tip is don't do too many foundry quests when leveling just do the normal quests.
You will get more carrying bags If you just follow your missions.
Gauntgrym broke the day they released it so Iam leaving it until they sort it out.
Like Ak says it is free and it is a great game, I have only spent around 8 quid and I only spent that to support the game, no pay to win in this game, you will get the same gear just playing.

Oh Iam on Beholder shard.
edit on 23-6-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Heh... I rolled a wizard

I haven't got very far into it as of yet but im very impressed thus far...

My only real complaint is the lack of options class wise... I assume more will be coming eventually...

A true D&D game should have tons of class options, and we only have 5...

I think they should change the title to World of Neverwintercraft...

Im also on Beholder shard
edit on 23-6-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

More will be coming Ranger next but I wish they would release a few new classes at a time because as soon as ranger hits all we will see is Rangers everywhere.
One thing that has put me off is they are following the latest D&D rules which are like you say D&Dwarcraft...I bought all the new rules and no way will I ever run a game with it...I will go back to AD&D way better

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I find it highly unlikely we will ever see another AD&D rules game... Its just outdated...

Im not even sure this game adheres to any D&D rules honestly... I think they rewrote it from scratch...

They say wizards of the coast helped in designing this game... but Im not sure what they actually did...

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
It's decent for what it is. I have 2 level 60 characters in it.

The graphics are decent...if you don't look too close. I don't have a low end gpu, and I was disappointed in them. I'm sure that Perfect World Entertainment made the developers (can't remember the name atm) rush it out before it was finished though. PWE is greedy as hell.

Their idea of creating a "challenge" for boss fights is to just spawn 92384 adds for each boss...in every dungeon.

I'm checking out another free to play mmo atm- Dragons Prophet. It's also just kinda- meh, same as NW.
edit on 23-6-2013 by Hushabye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I just wish wizards of the coast made Pen and Paper D&D online, with all the tools to make a turn based hex based, DM run game. Where players join in a DM run game with either voice or text, with graphical events made by the DM.
I have tried a couple of online pen and paper games openrgp for one but It lacks the polish etc wizards could put into it.
Iam sure If Wizards made this many people who have lost touch with their gaming groups would buy it and enjoy it.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

I think I told ya this before... Theres only one game that sticks to the true rules... That's the original Neverwinter nights...

The only problem is finding a copy of it... that's not easy...

I would love to see a new PNP rules D&D game... but I don't think it will happen

They don't make games dedicated to old ways anymore

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
To play this game you must download it, As far as i know its 5gb.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Believe it or not i run this on a laptop with a dual core ONE GHz CPU. On minimum gfx settings.
It has a Radeon HD 6250 with plenty of RAM though, which used to be good at least, i think?

Anyways, it works and, its cool.

I'm a level 17 Dwarf 'Trickster Rogue' on Mindflayer

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
I just wish wizards of the coast made Pen and Paper D&D online, with all the tools to make a turn based hex based, DM run game. Where players join in a DM run game with either voice or text, with graphical events made by the DM.
I have tried a couple of online pen and paper games openrgp for one but It lacks the polish etc wizards could put into it.
Iam sure If Wizards made this many people who have lost touch with their gaming groups would buy it and enjoy it.

You want Neverwinter NIGHTS ...

But Neverwinter MMORPG has a thing called The Foundry where you lay out and design your own quests for people to go on, then an NPC in certain zones will have a list of the active quests, and you select the ones to take.
ENDLESS fun ...

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by runetang

Oh yeah! I totally forgot about the foundry. It's a pretty nice feature. I used it to get an alt to like 15 or so before I got bored on that character.

Another negative about the game- The leveling is super easy. No challenge at all. If you're bored, no lifing it in the game you can easily get a character with each job to cap in less than a month.

I'm not trying to knock the game- like I said earlier- it's decent for what it is.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hushabye
reply to post by runetang

Oh yeah! I totally forgot about the foundry. It's a pretty nice feature. I used it to get an alt to like 15 or so before I got bored on that character.

Another negative about the game- The leveling is super easy. No challenge at all. If you're bored, no lifing it in the game you can easily get a character with each job to cap in less than a month.

I'm not trying to knock the game- like I said earlier- it's decent for what it is.

I agree actually... it doesn't seem like much of a challenge... But im only level 14...

I hope it gets a bit more tricky...

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Got two 60s, was fun at first then got boring...

-SAP-

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
reply to post by Akragon

Got two 60s, was fun at first then got boring...

-SAP-

Yeh I figured it wouldn't last long... MMO's are all the same these days.... armor Grind to 60... epic loot... Lost interest...

I was really hoping there would be a way to start our own servers with the forge... Like in the previous two games...

Unfortunately the designers said specifically this is NOT Neverwinter Nights...

So is it possible we might see a Neverwinter nights 3 in the future?

edit on 23-6-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I went to RIFT because that recently went F2P and it's actually pretty legit.

-SAP-

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
where can i find this??

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

nw.perfectworld.com...

Theres the link.

-SAP-

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I look at the image in the video and I see the same thing I've seen in every foresty, mountainy, snowy blizzardy hack and slash in the forest, game.

It's like every fps has to have a war theme, the same array of weapons, and a movie cut-scene style play.

One after the other, the only difference is the size, given each one has more and more movie cut-scenes.

What has happened to the concept of Games... I can't play these things. It might have quantum mechanics going on under the physics engine making everything look as real as falling in a park, but it's all pointless when it's the same thing time and time and time again.

I remember a day when games were games, and demos were demos. The demo scene was where you presented the best imagery, audio, physics and in 15 minutes it was over.

A game was something you wanted to get back into because it was fun. not because you needed to find that stick in a pile of sticks to stick with the rock on the pile of rocks and then get the old mage to cast a spell to open the portal to the next level where you need to find 2 sticks.

Oh the times they are a changin'... bloody time..

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

TY!!!

downloading it now

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join