It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WA State is about to remove social safety nets

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I'm an AmeriCorps ESD employee and I'm being railroaded. ONE MONTH before I get to finish my 10 month contract and receive my $5550 education award (I don't even get paid minimum wage and that's taxed too) we get an e-mail today from the govenor and a follow up by the commissioner:

This message was sent to the Employment Security all-user email distribution list.

Dear staff,

By now, I hope you all have read the Governor’s email about the possibility of a state government shutdown. We still hope the Legislature will agree on a budget before July 1, averting the shutdown. However, we have to be prepared. If there’s no budget by the deadline, most of Employment Security’s functions will be shut down and a temporary layoff would be legally required.

Last week, Governor Inslee asked all agencies to determine whether we have functions that might be exempt from a shutdown, based on four criteria. We determined that Employment Security has functions that fit within two of those criteria: 1) programs where federal law supersedes the state constitution and 2) functions with funding not appropriated by the state Legislature.

These activities include minimum operations necessary to:
• Process and pay unemployment benefits.
• Deposit tax payments.
• Pay AmeriCorps living stipends
All other ESD functions, including WorkSource services, would have to be suspended. One exception: agencies will be allowed to process the July 10 payroll. You will get paid for the period that covers June 15-30.

Next steps

On Monday, we will issue temporary layoff notices to all ESD staff. Then, we will notify individuals who will be retained to continue the functions described above.

Lastly, I continue to hope a budget agreement will be reached before July 1. If that doesn’t happen:

• We’ve been informed that your health and other benefits will not be affected, as long as you work at least eight hours in July.
• We’ll advise you and all state employees to file a claim for unemployment benefits.
The entire Executive Leadership Team is very sorry for this disruption, especially coming on the heels of our recent layoffs. We will let you know as soon as we learn anything more.

Nan

They are threatening to lay-off almost all ESD/WorkSource employees and programs and cut DSHS in half. Most likely only giving money to the mentally feeble and some irresponsible TANF parents(but less than they get now). I was non-chalant until we basically got an e-mail from AmeriCorps ESD saying unless we come up with our OWN contingency plan we're SOL. I would say more but I have to finish work. OH YEAH AND AMERICORP MUST WORK 1700 HOURS in 10 MONTHS when 40 hours a week for 10 MONTHS is 1600 HOURS PLUS WE MUST MAKE UP ALL THE MANDATORY STATE EMPLOYEE HOLIDAYS. BASICALLY WE MUST WORK FULL TIME FOR 10 MONTHS AND DO 180 HOURS OF ADDITIONAL SERVICE.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
WHY CAN'T OUR DAMN STATE OR FEDERAL GOVERNMENT WORK TOGETHER?!?!?!??!

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
If I understand this correct, will things like welfare still be available?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
SMILE because you've just been SCREWED!!

Ok dont smile because it's not in a good way.

Feel sorry for ya man. I hope they come up with a budget plan and are able to keep you all on. ;-(

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Yeah welcome to the big government screwing america out of work for security.

I had a problem getting a job that pays 100k a year, i got the job i have a friend that works for the company who basically got me in but i couldnt pass the TSA clearance through the TWIC program because i have an assault felony. I know its my bad or whatever(personal responsability and all that) the hell im suppose to think but this was a real opportunity whereas i am now stuck looking for regular employment where i will be able to barely pay my bills.

Welcome to the government runs everything and you under facist rule.
edit on 20-6-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Swing80s

You've still got a job. Be thankful.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by braveswin

That is a good question, the governments at state level can take away workers benefits, reduce pay and even let you go, with or without unemployment.

But if is something the government doesn't want is a whole bunch of welfare mothers screaming in the streets because their check wasn't in the mail in time.

Got to go to walmart you know on Fridays night.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by EA006

Thats true. Here i am grinding out day by day looking for something thats $10+ because of my record. I cant even get a CDL if i wanted because the WIA is cutting funding for the truck driving program. Along with that i need a job to be able to go to school if i wanted but i have to pay rent before i go to school, what opportunity is there really in this country?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by EA006

You can have a job, but . . . can you support your family own a home and live the American dream?, while legal Americans are losing their jobs and their American dreams, congress wants to do that for 33 million immigrants very soon, plus more workers visa for the additional millions.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Congress needs to step out of our business and stop trying to run everything because its not working. The federal government is THE BIGGEST PROBLEM with the US economy, if they step back and stop over regulating and trying to run the states we can grow economically and boom again. The problem after that is America is to comfortable in their little homes with their cheap big screen tvs and Xbox's to do anything.

I want to own land and farm products and be a producer but thats not even remotely possible, not even close. Why is it that such an impossible goal when thats what built the US in the first place?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Well while I believe is some truth about what you say, is also another bigger problem, the same way that our Federal government has become over bloated and running on deficit, so our states and local government has done the same, you can count just a handful of states that are self-sufficient the rest are running on deficit and bankruptcy, owning money to the big banks because this days that is how the states are getting around, their citizens future on collateral for banks loans.

Sad but truth.

When a nation loses their bread and butter in the manufacturing sector the states can no longer be self-sufficient.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Hey you know what i say, let these programs fall apart. Screw them. I have had some real opportunities blown to really turn my life into something worth living and then the TSA comes and chokeslams my dreams. The quicker this #ty i am in charge because im the boss paradigm ends the quicker we can get down to business. Im not talking total collapse but to the point where everyone is struggling and people stop doing their jobs and start doing the right thing.

Its not even like im being handed something the job required me to work 84 hours a week on a 14 24/7 schedule with 7 days off a month in a row. So its not like it was some easy cakewalk job it was a serious job that would require work and life energy and time.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

I which I could tell you that life is going to be better but after my husband been layoff for 4 month for the first time in 40 years I can tell you that things are not good, the American dream is death, is been death.

Nothing is secure anymore. Look at the markets today when Bernanke did his speech on the economy, everything is an illusion we live in the biggest economic scam in history.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
You will see a lot more of this in the coming months. Companies and governments need to remove employees because of the PPACA. Get ready America, the layoffs are coming and coming fast as 10/1 approaches.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by esdad71

Yes the government is already doing the furlong to the government employees and after they told them it was going to be for a few months they are told that is going to be extended at the discretion of the government for the next ten years.

Thankfully my husband never got into the government jobs and stay as a contractor, he was able to be back to work under a new contract.

It's ugly, if you are a DOD employee and you were hired within the last 5 years you will find yourself out of a job soon unless your field of work is indispensable to the government.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
At least they're not making more cuts in state institutions for the developmentally disabled. I don't mean to be a jerk, but I would rather support them than foodstamps or WIC.

The only crappy part is that worksource helps the unemployed find jobs.
edit on 20-6-2013 by Cambot because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-6-2013 by Cambot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by esdad71

It's ugly, if you are a DOD employee and you were hired within the last 5 years you will find yourself out of a job soon unless your field of work is indispensable to the government.

This isn't a bad thing.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swing80s
WHY CAN'T OUR DAMN STATE OR FEDERAL GOVERNMENT WORK TOGETHER?!?!?!??!

Maybe they ARE working together.

All these problems are part of the master plan.

Wait until ObamaCare gets into full swing.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Cambot

It is, because when it comes to regular people working in small towns USA they are just that people with families, we live in one of those towns that once most of the manufacturing base is gone the town have one of the highest unemployment rates in the state, but the only thing that keeps the town going is the military base that most of the work force are local regular people.

Now if you talk about the big money in higher places I agree with you, but most of those that will be the losers is just people like you and me trying to make ends meet.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
There will come a day real soon when the EBT cards do not work...when the IRS decides that you should not get those tax refunds. That the money you get back that YOU earned is more valuable to stay in a bank and gain interest to fund their programs and not yours.

They have conditioned people to spend 30 dollars at Mcdonalds for family of 5 to eat out. 100 dollars to go to a movie. 5 dollars for coffee. When the money is gone most people will not know how to cook Ramen and hot dogs. They are to used to instant gratification. Internet...monitored and controlled. Cell phones...ditto...where is the privacy anymore. Speak up and snuff out....

Social safety nets have been ready to be removed for the last few years. It was just a matter of time as to when it would finally catch up. Hope everyone is armed and ready to defend their homes. Crime is rampant in the entire country but the MSM would rather report on Kim Kardashian or the current state of affairs in NK. Folks, the US is honestly going to # and going to # real fast.

This will be a long, long summer. All the Fed needs is a major 'terror attack' to seal the deal. They showed what they could do to try to find 2 kids in Boston. If there is so much surveillance why the hell were those guys not stopped. They knew who they were and if 50 other attacks were stopped why not this one?

Many of you voted for change and here it is. Death and surveillance of journalists...Intimidation of SCJ...If and when we admit we are in a war in Syria and a major terror attack will be blamed on that. We are funding the people who less than 10 years ago killed 3000 in the name of Allah. We elected a man whose middle name is Hussein. Russia even knows it is coming. Everyone but the Honey Boo Boo crowd.

Sad folks...hate to say it but it is right around the corner. Take of the tin foil hats....

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join